PDA

View Full Version : SMS Spam?

Zaphod
02-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Arrgghh.... since this past Monday, I've started getting some weird SMS messages on my phone. It appears they are coming from international numbers. I've only gotten a handful of messages, but now I'm atarting to worry that my number is 'out there', so to speak and I'm going to start gettin a ton of messages. None of them ask for anything and as a matter of fact, some are just random gibberish and others are just random texts, like the last one I just received from 011447786153014160 and simply said, "beat in semi final! am gutted x never mind" and that's it! Assuming it is some sort of weird spam, to what end? I mean I'm certainly not going to text them back, not gonna call that number, assuming it is a number (I'm just assuming it is given the 011 country code) and it doesn't mean anything, at least not to me. It is just friggin annoying! I've had this number for many many years and never received anything like this. Is this some sort of new scam/spam? I have a Blackberry Storm 2 and it is from work and locked down tighter than a ...err...never mind, that analogy will just lead to vulgarities :D... I really don't want to have to get a new number, but I don't see any way to block unwanted SMS's or restrict it to only people in my address book. Right now it is manageable though, just annoying! grrrrrrrrrrr...

/end venting :D

shifty
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
011 indicates an international number. 44 is the country code. In this case, 44 indicates your text came from the UK or Isle of Man.

I would contact your provider and ask if you can block international text messages from hitting your phone. Unless you frequently get texts from international numbers. I work from an international company, and I rarely do (I have the Storm v1)

lilith
02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
just random gibberish and others are just random texts, like the last one I just received from 011447786153014160 and simply said, "beat in semi final! am gutted x never mind"

/end venting :D
Mr. Gibbles?!?!? :p

Zaphod
02-10-2010, 08:35 PM
@shifty, I would call my provider, but I'll just annoy the crap out of our telecom & security people at work for them to do something about it. We constantly battle each other regarding idiotic policies, so this will just give me something to annoy them with. :D

@lilith, hahahaha....didn't even think of that! I miss the Gib.

(wow, just typing all that I can already tell my arms are gonna be sore tomorrow from all this snow shoveling! :) )

lilith
02-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah... if only he'd come back so we could tell him to stop texting you!! :p