PDA

View Full Version : Trifire Crossfire

]LoL[Harm
03-16-2010, 09:43 AM
Anyone have a trifire configuration?

I'm thinking of beefing up my current Radeon 4870 X2 with a 4890. I can't justify getting a 57xx or 58xx series card at this time because the 57xx doesn't really outperform my current card, even Crossfired and the 58xx series is too expensive for me at the moment.

It was hard finding much information out there on the internet but I did find one review that did a trifire (it's called trifire because you have 3 GPU's, 2 on the 4870 X2 and one on the 4890) performance test and it came out well on their charts but was looking to see if anyone has done one here.

Thanks!

Ninjahedge
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
I would just wait on it.

You have great performance on what you have now, it may be better to wait for a more efficient card that matches what you have, or just go for the next wave of releases (always upgrade at least 2 generations apart.. Or in my case, probably 4!!! 4870 XT = me).

Are you getting a 2360x1600 screen or something?

Cor
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I have the same card 4870X2 on a 2560x1600 display and I'm not sure why you need more. I play BC2 fine all maxed. Although the Trifire has me curious too :P

]LoL[Harm
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
The issue is when recording with fraps, which I want to do, and which eats up a ton of performance. I'm able to run BC2 on high settings without issue online (like Cor was mentioning) but when hitting record on fraps it drops, even on medium settings, to junk. And so this is really only to entertain my desire to record the mass slaughter and awesome squad game that BC2 is, and nothing more really. :)

Oh and I only run 1900x1200.

Ninjahedge
03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
:P

I can understand... But you could also use an HD camera over your shoulder.

That would be SO COOL!!!!! ;)

Question though, would there be any way to clone your DPS signal and just stream one to a recorder on another device? I am not talking driving two systems, but the equivalent of an analog splitter....

=A!M=OakWind
03-16-2010, 04:51 PM
LoL[Harm;17316']The issue is when recording with fraps, which I want to do, and which eats up a ton of performance. I'm able to run BC2 on high settings without issue online (like Cor was mentioning) but when hitting record on fraps it drops, even on medium settings, to junk. And so this is really only to entertain my desire to record the mass slaughter and awesome squad game that BC2 is, and nothing more really. :)

Oh and I only run 1900x1200.

I would think that recording would be more dependent on the CPU and Hard drive read/write. Just a guess though.

]LoL[Harm
03-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Well I have CPU coming out the wazoo, and I have a Raid 0 setup for my OS where the game and fraps is run from, and the video's are being saved off to another set of drives completely as to not bog down the I/O traffic on the drives that are running the programs.

And Ninja, that would be freakin awesome if you could do that, just designate one video card for recording the other for display. You'd think that would be possible in this day and age, but the recording video card would still have to talk heavily with the display card so there would still be some type of performance impact, but I like the theory.

Ninjahedge
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I think it would be good too, but I was going even simpler, as in actually splicing a one-way cable to the data line (so you did not get any conflicting connection signals).

You would get a raw digital display stream that you could either record directly, or have ANOTHER machine translate back into an image... I would think that this would be possible......

dragonash
03-17-2010, 05:12 PM
why go tri when everything else is bi?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/evga-classified-sr-2-fits-two-980x-cpus-for-24-threads-exemplif/

;p

]LoL[Harm
03-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Bah, Intel! I need AMD power! ;)