PDA

View Full Version : Basic Linksys Question

dragonash
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Ok guys, this might be a very simple question, but it only occured to me because I think I might have misconfigured my parents router for remote access.

I was in a rush last night and I *think* i left "web access" on DISABLED.
The picture I am showing is how I normally set it up.

But here is the question:
Do these 2 options need to be worked in tandem? "Web access" to me, sounds like its giving access to the router via the web. But when seeing "remote router access" I would assume that is all i needed to enable myself to remotely connect to the router.

Wes
04-10-2009, 09:33 AM
My guess is the the web access has to be local access using your wireless access 192.<whatever>. You have to be in range of where it is using the WiFi to get to it.

The Remote router access is accessed from the internet.

dragonash
04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
if thats the case (and it sounds correct)....then i gotta find out why i cant connect to the router.

I have the correct IP and on top of that, I also have no-ip installed on a currently running computer... hmm

might be something as simple as resetting the modem

Wes
04-10-2009, 10:17 AM
If it doesn't work, then the web access could be a master switch. If it's off, you can't access it from the internet nor from the WiFi. When the web access is enabled, you can access it from WiFi, but not from the internet until you have the Remote router access enabled. Since they ordered it that way, it is possible as well.

dragonash
04-10-2009, 12:28 PM
wow, now i need to do some more investigating.

i just walked my mother through and everything is configured correctly. I had her powercycle the router too.... but it just wont connect. Weird.