PDA

View Full Version : Career Counseling?

Ninjahedge
04-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey guys.

Weird question, I know, but here goes.

Does anyone know a good place to go for Career Counseling?

All my life I have been plugging along one route because I liked certain things and was good with others. I liked drawing, 3D and perspective, geometry and physical interactivity. The only thing that did all that was "mechanical drawing".

Combine that with a knack for math and classical physics and I ran headlong into Civil Engineering, where I did indeed do a lot more of that....in school.

Now? I rarely get to do what I like, I am either bored or frustrated with what I am doing, but financial obligations and 15 years of experience I do not want to just throw away lightly is keeping me in my unhappy (albeit not miserable) seat.

I was wondering if any of you knew a REPUTABLE career councilor/counseling firm that could maybe re-direct me towards something a bit more rewarding WITHOUT losing all I have worked for OR forcing difficult financial decisions.....

I know. While you are at it, could you find me that goose that lays the golden eggs too?

Well, whatever. You have to ask if you want to know.

TIA.

shifty
04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
I only know local ones. But yes, I would highly recommend you see one.

Ninjahedge
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Maybe I need to move to Atlanta!!! ;)

shifty
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
You'd get a hell of a lot more bang for your buck down here.

What you pay for 1000sq ft up there will get you a 2,500+sq ft house in a great neighborhood with superb school district down here, with just as many restaurants and bars within walking distance. Inman Park is just one neighborhood that comes to mind.

Or if you prefer that 1000-1200 sq ft of space, you could buy it for about half as much, and live above aforementioned amazing restaurants, bars, etc. in a neighborhood with a great school district. Again, Inman Park is just one neighborhood that comes to mind.

And you'd probably take less of a salary hit than you think. We are home to over a dozen fortune 500 companies, and tons of killer businesses. Of course, you won't have an amazing amount of public transit options - I mean, we have an east-west and north-south train and buses, but .... meh. You can find a job within a couple miles of a place like Inman Park pretty easy (it's less than 2-3 miles from downtown).

But ... whatev. Atlanta is amazing.

Saboteur
04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
And hot. Hot-lanta.

dragonash
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Atlanta (http://www.mylanta.com/) is also good for heartburn

Dr. Death
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
It's the drivers.

They TRY to drive like New Yorkers but don't have the skillz.

Wes
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
lol. burn!