PDA

View Full Version : Domain name registration (where?)

Muscat
04-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Where is the place to register a domain without all the RIP OFF around this?
Where is going all that money?
What is the real cost of a domain registration?

I got ripped by WEB.COM . They charge you 8.99$ for the first year and start a recurring 19.99$ by year without any notice. They fake customer support to keep the money after that. They said problem solved and solve nothing when you want to correct the incorrect amount.

I can't believe a company with a name like that, a pro design and an advanced online billing system is doing stuff like that.
I'm not the only one as you can see at http://www.ripoffreport.com/Web-Hosting/WEB-COM/WEB-COM-overcharge-scam-suc-BE95D.htm

dragonash
04-22-2010, 08:33 AM
no real reason to even use a 3rd party to register domains

godaddy.com

I pay like $8 a year

Muscat
04-22-2010, 09:13 AM
godaddy is a 3rd party and another rip off company
Caution with that

dragonash
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
is it a 3rd party?

Then i meant 4th parties i guess.
I NEVER use a webhost to register a domain for me.

#1 - you can get overcharged for "processing fees"
#2 - They can say they "own" your domain and you are boned

I have been with godaddy for a loooooong time. Never had a problem, never had hidden fees or ninja price increases and I would always go with them. I get constant "reminder" emails saying my domains are up for renewal (which i have set for auto renew), so it's all good.

Cheapest domains ever. Back in like 1999, i remember domains used to cost $70 lol
Now they are so cheap, I dont want to lose them, even though I dont use them anymore!

Muscat
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
So my question is where godaddy are registering your domain name?

after searching a bit someone said go to http://www.namecheap.com/
but again where namecheap are registering your domain names?

Dr. Death
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I use Go-Daddy. They are a primary registrar. Their name shows up as the registrar on the whois records for my domains. I pay 7 to 10 bux a year depending on the TLD of the domain and what specials I was able to get.

You have to be careful with them (and any registrar) because they WILL try to sell you add-on services, such as registration privacy, extra TLDs, extra years, etc. If you aren't careful your $6.99 registration can wind up costing 40 bux. Just READ the signup forms carefully.

Muscat
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
ok I think I got the answer here:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question422.htm

Thx guys and yes godaddy can be a registrar since they maintain DNS servers but they all pay Network Solutions if I understand correctly.

http://www.networksolutions.com/

Muscat
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
ARG! they registered my domain name at Register.com :mad:
I think they locked it at their name too.
Yes it is 3rd party crap :(

Register.com charge 35$/year this is dam crazy

dragonash
04-22-2010, 11:21 AM
ARG! they registered my domain name at Register.com :mad:
I think they locked it at their name too.
Yes it is 3rd party crap :(

Register.com charge 35$/year this is dam crazy

who did?
Web.com ?

See, didnt i tell you about them owning your domain? :(

Muscat
04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
yes it is web.com maybe they got a special price from register.com
I don't understand...
That really look like a domain names ownage company. Just the domain name web.com... imagine the value of this...

Muscat
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok I am the registrant so maybe I can do something about it :D
They are the Technical Contact in the Whois
First of all changing the registrar....I don't want to pay 35$/year if I flush web.com

Dr. Death
04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
If your hosting company registered the domain for you, you should have a control panel item or other means to manage it from their site. If not, send web.com an email asking for the domain management details. If they did it through a large account and they can't give you access to your individual domain, you can request a transfer from Go-Daddy or another registrar, and email web.com and tell them to authorize the transfer when it comes through. They have to comply with your wishes to transfer.

Always maintain direct access to your domain names.

shifty
04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I have heard horror stories about GoDaddy as well. But ... whatever. I just purchased my domains in bulk and register for 5 years, it keeps the cost down, and I don't need to think about it. If you're really worried about saving 20%-30% over multi-year pricing, then ... more power to you. I've never had a problem with Network Solutions.