PDA

View Full Version : Win7 firewall issue

dragonash
04-23-2010, 06:56 PM
From out of the blue, Win7 started blocking RDP, even though its selected to allow in both public and private.

The port is default. I couldnt log on all day and tried to log on at home on a laptop connected to the network. I used the internal IP and still got nothing.

Turned off the FW and that fixed it. I was able to log on from outside and inside of the network.

Anyone come across this? This just started today (maybe an update came down or something)

shifty
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I had a similar issue, but it seems to have worked itself out. I think it took me setting up the computer as being on "Home" network. It was a few months back though, so I can't totally remember.

Dr. Death
04-24-2010, 01:48 AM
Try turning off Remote Desktop and turning it back on again (reboot in between.) It's likely that a Windows update messed things up. When turning it back on, use "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop" (increases your options.) Re-enabling RDP SHOULD properly set up the firewall rules, especially if they are now a bit different.

dragonash
04-24-2010, 07:27 PM
actually, it seems it messed up completely (couldnt even connect to my games), so I turned it all off lol

I will try to sort it out later. But man, what a pain

tensux
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
very weird, i just ran into the same problem on one pc, i can connect remotely into it internally but not externally, i know the router is set up properly, using the standard port for the one i cant connect to, and another port for one i can connect to externally, i tried what dr death said, no luck

dragonash
04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
wtf, did MS push out some sort of ninja update that messed this up?

Dr. Death
04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Ten your problem is definitely the router if it connects internally.

I've had a router block an external connection on the default port. Looked for all the world like the router was set up properly. Could get in internally but not externally. Changed to a non-standard port and it worked fine. I think it was a Netgear router, but not positive (can't remember.)

dragonash
04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Ten - before you touch your router, turn off windows firewall and try all your normal connections.

tensux
04-29-2010, 10:58 AM
it just started working again. no idea what happened, but thanks guys

Ninjahedge
04-30-2010, 11:10 AM
You touched it.