PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry ups the ante

dragonash
04-27-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlO8KMv7Bx4&feature=player_embedded

OS 6.

If you inspect it closely, it looks like they simpled up the GUI (good move), it might have pinch to zoom and a lot more social networking stuff.

Blog of RIMS keynote session

Appropriately named WES2010 ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/27/live-from-rims-keynote-session-at-wes-2010/

Wes
04-27-2010, 11:11 AM
:eek: :)

shifty
04-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Anything to fix the POS 5.x series. Seriously, my Tour was functional when running 4.7, then I made the same horrendous mistake I made with my Storm: I upgraded to 5.0 (5.0.2, to be exact).

My phone sucks now. I can't stand it.

They need to release that sh** fast, because 5.0 BB OS was a worse ****up than Windows Vista.

Ninjahedge
04-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Tell us how you really feel.....

shifty
04-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I get passionate when people screw with my mobile devices, especially when those devices are the lifeline I use to stay on top of my job.

dragonash
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Shifty - I'm running 5.0.0.328 on my storm. My storm was horrible before it, but now is awesome.

Based on that, I cant wait to get OS6.
Im using a Storm1 btw

shifty
04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
i am running 5.0.0.591 of the BB OS on my Tour and application version 5.0.2 or some crap. Prior to this, the SW VER or OS ver was something like 4.7.x

Before upgrading, my Tour was amazing, acted snappy, fast, responsive, no crashes, EXACTLY like my BB Pearl. It only took about 45 seconds to boot.

After the upgrade, now my Tour acts like my Storm - sluggish, unresponsive, hangs regularly, takes 6-7 minutes to boot, I only have "cursor" mode in the browser, sometimes I need to use the ENTER key to click through links, zoom feature in the browser only works when it wants to, the device gets stuck in processes where it just hangs (clock comes up and locks in repeatedly, blinking on and off).... it's awful

dragonash
04-28-2010, 05:05 PM
wow, your storm is sluggish STILL?

I swear, it was night and day for me. I couldnt even put on custom themes because is slowed to a crawl. Now everything works great! Themes and all. Especially typing on it. It was improved 10fold.

Stupid question (for you), normal question for anyone else. But have you tried reinstalling the OS?

shifty
04-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Yep. Used BBSAK to wipe the device and start over with nothing. Reloaded the OS again. Reloaded the application software. Ran with the phone for days without reimporting my data, contacts, 3rd party apps etc. just to make sure it wasn't something I installed or some stale setting. I stopped into the store till they gave a new one. Still had issues, not as bad as prior releases, but enough that it made my phone unusable at least once or twice a day for 5-10 minutes (due to crashes, hangs etc.)

I finally got sick of it a couple weeks ago, went into the Verizon store and asked them to early-upgrade me. And they did, but only after calling our account manager - the phone crashed twice right in front of the head of the local Verizon store just trying to pull up the HR/Operations manager's phone number, and I almost smashed it on the ground and stomped on it right in front of the guy.

The Tour was freaking amazing. Then I upgraded the software & OS, and now I'm seeing a lot of the same bugs I had with the Storm appearing on my Tour. Prior to that upgrade it was rock-solid, just like my Pearl.

I dunno, man. I guess I have higher standards than most people. I've been using Blackberries for a while. They were freaking amazing, super-reliable, rock-solid, never crashed, they just .... "worked". With these latest OS and application software releases, the product took a huge nosedive, started to come up again, but they've apparently plateau'd at "meh" for a little while now.

dragonash
04-29-2010, 06:17 AM
wow.
i wonder what they did between my version and your version to make it break so bad.
That really is amazing how opposite my upgrade was to yours.

shifty
04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh, I had some miraculous upgrades with the storm, believe me. It was almost unusable when I first got it. If it weren't so amazing for surfing the web, I'd have been pissed.

The first update came about 6 weeks after I bought the phone, and it took the phone from 'nerfed' to 'usable'. Updates to follow added usefulness, and some took away usefulness. I always had stability issues that required at least a weekly reboot. I should note - we don't have BES at my office, and I manage a fleet of approximately 15 Storms (we're slowly getting rid of all of them), so I can say with confidence some devices were just 'lemons'. Mine wasn't quite that bad, but I still had it replaced and got a unit that was a little better.

Bottom line is, BlackBerry made a poor business decision to pre-release this phone, and have been fighting to come up with a competent OS release since the Storm was coming to 'market fruition'. They should have never released the Storm v1, they knew it was trash and had to make the v2 to cover their asses; Verizon was handing out the v2 for free when a couple of our users had to go in for their 2nd or 3rd (and one 4th) replacement.

I just hope that 6.0 rev of the OS is more stable. Installing a theme to a phone and having it f@#$! the phone up is something that should be captured at the QA level BEFORE the software is released. RIM has a horde of die-hard fans that test betas and pre-releases and should have had ample warning about such a bug prior to release. I just ... I don't know what the hell they're thinking. I just want an OS that is as fast, lightweight, stable and has 'enough' features, which describes my BB Pearl in a nutshell.

dragonash
04-29-2010, 08:52 PM
yeah, you're right.

I think in the past, their mentality was strictly business. Thats who used their devices and they had no competition (palm was nothing).

Now everyone is jumping in on their territory and they are on a learning curve. With OS6, style/popups and junk are now on the radar. They are behind in doing it, behind in designing it and desperately want to keep their market. While they are doing this, they are spanning out into the "hey, it's my normal phone" crowd. So they WILL get the hint sooner or later, unfortunately I think it will be later than sooner.