PDA

View Full Version : Fake Sent From Email Address in Outlook

Cerwin_Vega
05-16-2010, 12:52 PM
I've created some automated reports at work that are emailed out to various people every morning and would like to affix a different Sent From email address with these. A guy in another division has done this so I know it's possible but I'm unable to make contact with him. Does anyone know how to do this?

]LoL[Harm
05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
You can have multiple emails assigned to the same inbox (at least in exchange). For instance you could be both Cerwin.Vega@mycompany.com, as well as MarketingTeam@mycompany.com and DivisionA@mycompany.com

Then when composing email you select what email address you are sending from and that is what the person who receives the email sees and replies to.

I'm not sure how it is done in Lotus Notes/Domino Servers but I'm sure it's also relatively simple.

If you are asking from a personal third party email account then I have no clue, unless you get some spoofing tools and in the end that is usually frowned upon by most third party email accounts (like hotmail and lycos)

Cerwin_Vega
05-17-2010, 09:46 PM
No it is exchange and it's a Comcast work email address. I only have 1 email address which is my name@. So how do I get the second email address to show instead of my personal email?

]LoL[Harm
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Here you go, this was located here (http://www.jamesshuggins.com/h/web1/another_email_address.htm) and is for Outlook:

One Email Account, Multiple Addresses

Now you ask how this is possible.

This most common reason is that you are using an email forwarder in order to "own your own email address". I explain how to do this on this page.

If you are using an email forwarder, then you may have different addresses forwarded to your one "real" email address.

Consider this example. Assume that you are Gaspar Aluzo. Your "real" address is GAluzo@Earthlink.net. But you own a domain name of GasparAluzo.com. You are using a registrar like NameCheap to forward your email. All email addressed to anything@GasparAluzo.com is actually forwarded to GAluzo@ATT.net. Most people write you as GAluzo@GasparAluzo.com and you have set your reply address to show as GAluzo@GasparAluzo.com (like I explain on this page).

Now you would also like to use another email address. You would like to use TheBigGuy@GasparAluzo.com in your email as a reply address.

(Note that this address will already forward to you. All we are talking about is setting up a second account so you can send some mail with this reply address.)

Because, in this example, you have one real, incoming account, you just need to create an "outgoing" email account in Outlook using this second email address. Here is how:

1. Click "Tools"

2. Click "Accounts"

3. Click on the "Mail Tab"

4. Click on your "primary" or "default" account. This should say "mail (default)" in the "Type" column.

5. Click "Properties"

6. Click on the "Servers" tab

7. Make a note of the value in the "Outgoing mail (SMTP) box. You will use this value below.

8. Click "Cancel"

9. Click "Add", then "Mail"

10. In the box labeled "Display Name" type your name as you would like it to appear on outgoing email. For example, Gaspar Aluzo might type "Gaspar Aluzo".

11. Click "Next"

12. In the box labeled "E-mail Address" type the reply address you would like to use. In our example, Gaspar Aluzo would type TheBigGuy@GasparAluzo.com.

13. Click "Next"

14. In the box labeled "Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP) server", type five or six zeros. This box is not necessary because this account won't really "receive" any mail. It will only be used to send mail.

15. In the box labeled "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server", type the address of the outgoing mail server that you use for your primary account. This is the value you obtained at the start of this process. This second account will send mail through the same outgoing mail server. It will just have a unique "reply address".

16. Click "Next"

17. In the box labeled "Account name", leave whatever value appears. It does not matter.

18. In the box labeled "Password", do not type anything. It does not matter.

19. Leave the box labeled "Remember password" however it is set. It does not matter.

20. Click "Next"

21. On the panel that asks "Which method do you want to use to connect to the Internet?", I recommend selecting "manually".

22. Click "Next"

23. Click "Finish"

24. Immediately click on "Properties". This will reopen the "account" you have just created.

25. Note that the account used the value you specified as the incoming account with your ISP as the "name" of the account. This will be the 5 or six zeros you typed. This name is only used to identify the account within Outlook or Outlook Express. Change this value to something you will easily recognize.

26. Uncheck the box labeled "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing". Remember, this is not an account you will use to receive mail. All your mail is forwarded to your primary account. This is just an account to use to have a special "reply address".

27. Click "OK"

28. Voila. You are done.

To use this account, click the "pull down" arrow next to the "Send" button on any email. Outlook will reveal all your defined accounts and let you specify which one to use.

In our example, using this second account would cause the email to be sent with a reply address of TheBigGuy@GasparAluzo.com. And anyone who sends mail to that address, will have the mail automatically forwarded to the "real" account at GAluzo@Earthlink.net.

]LoL[Harm
05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I would of course test this out before going fully live with it, as I have not verified if any of the above truly works.

Ninjahedge
05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
I would just wonder if it is only the "cover" address that is being changed.

The actual info may be different if it is not information that is attached by the outgoing server, but by the one that is receiving.

(IOW, the label on the car may be Porche, but it says "Dodge" when you lift the hood).

tensux
05-19-2010, 09:46 PM
outlook used to let you change the return address

tensux
05-19-2010, 09:48 PM
other user information? reply email, if they reply it goes to the other email