PDA

View Full Version : Modified printer mapping script

dragonash
06-03-2009, 02:04 PM
ok, for whatever reason, (i think its bordem), the windows team decided to change the server the printers are located on.

Which means we have quite a few users to manually update. Not all users are connected to the same printers obviously.

so basically, we have mappings just like \\servername\printername

Does anyone know of a script that can just change the server name on everyones computer? (i would rather drag and drop a file into their startup folders then go to each person individually)

The printers are named exactly the same on the new server.

Ninjahedge
06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
How are the printers named in the first place?

Where are the names kept? In the registry or something or in a log file?

(Just curious)

dragonash
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
very good question.
time for some googling

edit:

KEY_CURRENT_USER\\Printers\\Connections\\<Printer>

so looking at this in the registry editor, i need something that would take whatever is in the connections folder and change the server key.

I feel like im so close to the answer and it seems entirely possible. But I lack the know how. lol

found something great!
http://www.petri.co.il/changeprintsrv.htm

Saboteur
06-03-2009, 07:13 PM
If they're going to be doing this a lot (moving print queues around) perhaps using DNS aliases for the print servers might be a smart thing to incorporate... if Winders allows you to do that for printers anyway.

shifty
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
What he said ^^

Better yet, just re-setup everyone with mapped IPs (Local Printer>New Port>TCP/IP>etc.) and then you never hafta rely on NETBIOS *or* DNS resolution.

I don't do printer sharing on our network anymore NETBIOS is for *****es!

dragonash
06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
What he said ^^

Better yet, just re-setup everyone with mapped IPs (Local Printer>New Port>TCP/IP>etc.) and then you never hafta rely on NETBIOS *or* DNS resolution.

I don't do printer sharing on our network anymore NETBIOS is for *****es!

again...like in my other posts. Not up to us :)