PDA

View Full Version : The Last Airbender

Bald_Yew
07-02-2010, 08:42 PM
OK, I won't post any spoilers until after Y'all see the movie, but I do have to get 1 major thing out of my system...

IT'S ANG DAMMIT!!! ANG LIKE THE WORD BANG! NOT ANG LIKE BONG!!!

AAAAAAANG!!!

Ok, now with that outta the way, here's my brief run down until after you guys see it and wanna discuss it in a little more depth.

An hour of pure crap. Was painful to watch. Had my kids and I not looked so forward to seeing it for so long I would have left. The acting was on par with a high school play. The special effects were blah. The martial arts were laughable. The bending was sparse and fizzled. The sets were great(yeah, giving credit here, they were really beautiful).

..Theeeen...

About 30 minutes from the end it got good. Not kickass good mind you, but good like the rest of the movie should have been. Better acting, better interaction between characters, better bending, martial arts...you know, what we are used to seeing in the cartoon.

Is it worth sitting through the kibble to get to the bits? Well, if you are a fan of the show, yeah. If you've never seen the cartoon, you'll likely be so put off by the beginning you may get up and leave 30 minutes or so in to join the M. Night Shyamalan hate club. Her in lies the rub.....those of us who like the series and want to see the other 2 movies made are likely out of luck because there wasn't enough good in the first part to make the normal Joe say anything good about the movie.

Crap. I mean crap as in 'Crap, this will probably be the only one' and 'Crap, that sure was a lot of crap to sit through to get to something good'.

Oh, and my kids loved it....go figure.

dragonash
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
dude... it's a real life adaptation of anime. What did you expect?

anyone remember DBZ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098327/
...or ANY anime to real life conversion for that.

Bald_Yew
07-03-2010, 06:41 PM
dude... it's a real life adaptation of anime. What did you expect?....

Well, like I said, the end was good. I expected a certain amount of crappiness, but they shoulda put a little of that 'end juju' in the first 60 minutes.

dragonash
07-03-2010, 10:34 PM
lol yeah right

summing up anime's in 90 minute with what could sometimes take 5 - 10 seasons to finish never works out ;p

This not only pertains to anime...I betcha the rumored 24 movie will suck balls too

Ninjahedge
07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
The fact that your kids liked it meant that they were the ones that were being targeted.

Oh, and it was SO NEEDED to be in 3D.

Little things like having not a single Asian in the flik when EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in the cartoon is either asian or Eskimo-like was bad enough.

Have I seen it? No, but I have read too much and fear that Shamalamading-dong was NOT the right guy to do this kind of flik.

You needed an eclectic fan to do it right. Hell, even Tarrantino would do this better (although I don't think Ang would be received as well swearing his head off...).

Dissapointing!

Dr. Death
07-03-2010, 11:47 PM
This not only pertains to anime...I betcha the rumored 24 movie will suck balls too

Well, if Jack sleeps for 8 hours then goes to Denny's for breakfast, that could kill most of the day, so a few hours of action would fit in a 2 hr movie.