PDA

View Full Version : Personal DVR system help

dragonash
07-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I know a bunch of you have this or have built one in the past.
I was just talking about how I think my cable companies DVR sucks and that it would be better to get a tivo. However, I have my old computer that I can easily convert to a DVR I suppose.

What would I need to make it similar to a tivo? I know there is a linux type program out there or something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I would like things similar to a season pass manager, searching for programs, easy to navigate, etc etc.

edit:

Oh yeah, I would like to NOT use my cable companies DVR box. As in, return it and stop paying renting it. Is it even possible? (oh yeah, that program was called mythTV! I just remembered while typing lol)

Or should i just use media center? Also, would i need cable cards?

Ninjahedge
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Addon......

Any way to crack the current TiVo's?

I remember the last round with a lifelong subscription.....

dragonash
07-10-2010, 02:51 AM
oh right. another aspect I am looking for is recording one show and watching another at the same time.

Ash
07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Addon......

Any way to crack the current TiVo's?

I remember the last round with a lifelong subscription.....

Ahhh nope.

Ash
07-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I know a bunch of you have this or have built one in the past.
I was just talking about how I think my cable companies DVR sucks and that it would be better to get a tivo. However, I have my old computer that I can easily convert to a DVR I suppose.

What would I need to make it similar to a tivo? I know there is a linux type program out there or something. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I would like things similar to a season pass manager, searching for programs, easy to navigate, etc etc.

edit:

Oh yeah, I would like to NOT use my cable companies DVR box. As in, return it and stop paying renting it. Is it even possible? (oh yeah, that program was called mythTV! I just remembered while typing lol)

Or should i just use media center? Also, would i need cable cards?

Heres the problem,
the new cable(tv) tuner cards were suppose to be out by now. One pci slot with one cable card is suppose to do four channels at once.

Ash
07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Go to Revision3 and watch some past episodes from HDNation, Tekzilla gets into al little this week too.

dragonash
07-10-2010, 10:00 PM
hey Ash,

Thanks for that reference.
Im still in the middle of watching a WMC video when they mentioned the Dell Studio Hybrid.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/inspiron-zino-hd/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-zino-hd&s=dhs&cs=19&redirect=1

That looks awesome for a great price

Alas...while they mention it as a great media center pc, it doesnt seem to have any video capture capabilities. And man... they sure go on tangents in their damn shows. But they are saying everything to turn me off from doing this PVR thing. Seems more complicated due to encrypted channels and also I am unsure about true HD recording.

One thing I see is the hauppauge HD PVR... but it uses component, goes up to only 1080i and only one channel at a time.

To get something similar to a TIVO, I would have to build it and it simply doesnt seem worth it after all is said and done.
I wish i could hack my current cable companies DVR and throw in Myth or WMC lol

Ash
07-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Well they are also waiting for the new capture cards. If I remember they mentioned November for a possible due date. Until then I am waiting.

Welcome to streaming shows where if things go long so be it. My tivo downloads the shows like a season pass. Its the guys from techtv.