PDA

View Full Version : router problem

Kicker
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
OK, this is a strange one.

I have a Linksys router that my computer will not even see.
I plug my computer into the cable modem and get onto the internet no problem, but plug it into the router, actually 2 routers, one wireless and one wired, one at a time, and it will not see the router, type in the default address; http://192.168.1.1 and nothing, release and renew, forgetaboutit.

The laptop on the other hand, went right in, what am I missing?

windows XP service pac 3, Intel wire nic card,

Help!

Dr. Death
08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
So let me get this straight:

The computer in question can get on the internet directly connected to the cable modem, so we know that the ethernet port and all the TCP/IP software is installed and working.

The laptop can access the internet through the routers when you connect either one.

The computer in question cannot access the internet through either router.

Are all my statements correct?

On the computer in question, when it is connected directly to a router by an ethernet cable (we'll worry about wireless later) open a command window (start -> run... -> type 'cmd' and click ok.)

and enter 'ipconfig /all' and hit ENTER.

Paste the output here. (You copy a command window contents by right clicking in the window and selecting "select all" then when the screen turns black on white hit enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.)

Kicker
08-12-2010, 04:59 PM
It is working! I came home, plugged into it, typed the IP and went right in. Checked the configuration, plugged the Comcrap cable modem in, rebooted the modem because comcrap seems to have a MAC or IP lock, and it worked!

Dr. Death
08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Any cable modem will lock to the MAC address of whatever device is plugged into it. Rebooting the cable modem is always required when changing what is connected to it.

I'm not sure I understand why you need to type in the IP. The cable modem should give the remote IP and DNS servers to the router, and the router should hand out private IPs and the DNS servers to the individual computers. It's all automatic.

Ninjahedge
08-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Auuuuuuutomatic..............

Hmm, am I the only one singing?

Freightliner
08-13-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure I understand why you need to type in the IP. The cable modem should give the remote IP and DNS servers to the router, and the router should hand out private IPs and the DNS servers to the individual computers. It's all automatic.

Um, the IP address of the router to check it's saved settings.....

Understand now?