PDA

View Full Version : does this look real?

tensux
08-16-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB0hJ6WNI3Y

Wes
08-16-2010, 01:58 PM
lol. funny. I doubt the airbag would deploy that easily though.

lilith
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, kinda looks like a set up... but she's still awesome! :)
They must have set the sensitivity on the airbag somehow.

Saboteur
08-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Internet consensus seems to be "fake". A discussion thread at snopes.com talked about airbags not deploying when the car isn't in motion, and that the manner & speed of the deflation of the airbag was wrong.

I've also seen it mentioned that it is from a commercial (IKEA?)

Still funny, though!

Dr. Death
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
It's fake. Airbags deploy using deceleration sensors. The car has to decelerate very quickly for them to go off. We hit a deer in our Explorer, and it didn't set the airbags off because we moved the deer too much and thus didn't decelerate fast enough.

Wes
08-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Make sense though. The passengers only need the airbag protection when you are decelerate too fast.

=A!M=OakWind
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
It's probably tied into the deceleration sensor that cuts off the fuel pump during a crash.

Ninjahedge
08-17-2010, 08:12 AM
If you have ever been in a pillowfight as an adolescent and gotten whalloped by a wad of once pillow-like material in the end of a heavily swung case you will know that even "pillows" can pack a whallop.

But being hit by a pillow at that speed is still better than being hit by a steering wheel.

The key is to ony deply it when you have a chance of serious injury from either whiplash or contact with something more solid. If you have seen the facial burns on people that have had an airbag deployed you can see why they do not make it deploy unless the alternative would be much worse.....

Dr. Death
08-18-2010, 06:55 PM
...worse than adding another $6,000 to the cost to repair your car?

Airbags are for people who don't properly wear seatbelts. Ever see an air bag in a race car?

=A!M=OakWind
08-18-2010, 08:35 PM
But, race cars have 5 point safety harnesses.

Dr. Death
08-18-2010, 09:27 PM
I would wear a 4 point harness if they equipped them in passenger cars. Besides, an airbag won't stop you from submarining (unless they are putting them there now too.)

garm
08-18-2010, 09:45 PM
nope - doesn't look real

Radiation Burns
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I have been doing bodywork on cars for about 20 years as a hobby and you can easily set off the airbag if you hit the sensor dead on of if you short it out. I doubt that the mercedes sensor is located where that bag could hit it. but if it was for an ad they could bypass the sensor and just set the bag off with a switch that shorts the trigger wires.
I shorted a bag once by accident, cost about $800 for the replacement bag... scared the living s*** out of me too. The bag inflates in about half a second, and since the car isnt moving it stays inflated.

Ninjahedge
08-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Saw the commercial.

Extremely fake.

They may have used a real airbag, but they did not inflate it using the canister. they also cleaned it off (I believe they are packed in a powdery material that keeps them dry and prevents them from sticking).

DD, they are only a partial aid for people w/o belts. Those people still slide under the wheel and crunch up by the pedals. As for belt wearers, it can help prevent whiplash and spinal injury. It does not prevent injury, it just reduces it.

As for adding $6000 to the price of a car? I think you are exaggerating just a tad!!! ;)

Dr. Death
08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
I think you are exaggerating just a tad!!!
Really? My explorer had 2 airbags, priced at $900.00 and $1300.00 each. Many new cars have up to 6 airbags now, and I'm sure with the compact size and odd shapes, the prices have only gone up. Call your insurance agent and ask.

The driver's side airbag only prevents you from striking the wheel, which is collapsible anyway as of 1971 or so. I'll grant that it may also reduce neck injuries from a frontal crash.

Only a 5 or 6 point harness will prevent submarining; an airbag won't, unless there's one that deploys in your crotch, as I said before. The looser you wear the seatbelt (or don't,) and the more reclined you adjust your seat increase the likelihood of submarining.

Ninjahedge
08-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I like to think of it more as "Compacting" or "Ergonomically Retrofitting". ;)

08-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Airbags generaly require two (2) signals to set off.
Research it if you are curious.