PDA

View Full Version : Home Printers

=A!M=OakWind
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I need some suggestions on a home printer. My biggest problem is the extortionate price of the refill cartridges.

Mostly going to be used for my daughters homework.

TIA

shifty
09-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Get a color laserjet. I have a Dell 3100cn at home (I think they're at 3130cn now). I've had it for more than 5 years and never replaced the toner once. We use it for my wife's 50-100 page slideshows and all kinds of other stuff. I paid $250 for it brand new. I have printed 2,393 pages to date, and I still have 40% of my black toner cartridge, 80% of cyan, and over 90% of yellow and magenta.

Best printer I've ever owned. Hands down. I love it.

Ninjahedge
09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
The Canon Inkjet we got has been giving us problems in that if you do not use it for a while, the nozzles clog.

In order to UNCLOG the nozzles, you have to keep running the "clean" sequence and print test pages. That starts taking a lot of ink if youhave to do it every time.

It worked great when we first got it, but now.....

=A!M=OakWind
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
I've had that problem with every printer I've ever had. Cleaning never did any good. Even tried rubbing it down with alcohol.

Ninjahedge
09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
I guess you need to know the solvent base for the ink. It probably is not alcohol....

Problem with THAT is you may make your first XX printouts all washed out because there is still some solvent in the nozzles.

PITA.

I would rather pay $500 for a printer whose cartriges cost nada so long as I can print whenever, and however I want.

Nevermind these $200 all-in-one deals (I really do not need a fax line on my printer!!!)

Wes
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Get a color laserjet. I have a Dell 3100cn at home (I think they're at 3130cn now). I've had it for more than 5 years and never replaced the toner once. We use it for my wife's 50-100 page slideshows and all kinds of other stuff. I paid $250 for it brand new. I have printed 2,393 pages to date, and I still have 40% of my black toner cartridge, 80% of cyan, and over 90% of yellow and magenta.

Best printer I've ever owned. Hands down. I love it.

That sounds fantastic! I've been using ink jet all the time because the ability of printing onto CD, but the printer always scamming me on change the ink cartridge even thought there are still inks in there. I really hate it. Not to mention the usual ink clog problem.

Nevermind these $200 all-in-one deals (I really do not need a fax line on my printer!!!)

I've never believe in those all-in-one deals neither, but I just got a Brother MFC-7840w as a gift. It uses Wifi so basically i can put it any way for any computer to use. I set it up in the living room and I've been using it even I work in my room all the time. The warm up is instantaneous. The copy machine feature works just like a normal copy machine and just as fast. The flatbed scanning and the scanning feeder also works great even my wife can do it. lol.

I have a normal flatbed scanner right in front of me and I also have an actual fax machine next to me. Ever since I had the all-in-one setup, my scanner and the fax machine have not been touched!

Ninjahedge
09-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Wes, what I am saying is that they seem to give thnigs in an AA1 that you do not need.

Fax is one, but also the universal card reader. If it just had a USB port, there are cheap readers that could easily plug into it.

The scanner works great on the printer too, the only problem I have is, mainly, the ink. Oh, that and the paper feeder. For soe reason they can't make one that feeds only one sheet at a time as they get older.....

shifty
09-17-2010, 08:13 PM
I have two Dell 3110cn at work also, along with two Dell 5100cn. I bought them after seeing how amazing my 3100cn was at home. I bought another 5110cn for our Florida office 3 years ago.

This was 4 years ago.

After 4 years of usage in a very busy pair of offices with 60 people, I have replaced 7 toner carts total between all five printers (there are 4 carts/printer, FYI), we've printed out over 18,000 pages between all printers, and I just now had to replace he imaging drum ($139) on the main 5100cn that everyone in our Atlanta office (45ppl) use, and this is the first time I have ever had to repair one of the printers - and it was so simple, we troubleshot and repaired it using their support pages online without having to call an expensive repairman (there's only ~4 replaceable parts in the entire printer)

Oh - and this will sound like BS, but I've only seen one paperjam in all of those prints. It took 15 minutes to clear up, after I found the right tray to pull.

Granted - it is important to say, you can't print photo quality stuff on photo paper with laserjet (toner), that's something only a bubblejet (ink) or inkjet (ink) does well. The classic ploy (scam) of printers is this, though:

- Buy a color inkjet or bubblejet printer CHEAP for $20-60, spend $100/year in ink cart replacement, then throw away the printer after 2 years because it's not serviceable(repeat, repeat, repeat).

- Buy a color laserjet for $150-$350, spend $100 every 4-5 years to get new toner carts, if that, and have the ability to service it cheaply if needed, you'll have the printer for the next decade.

The bottom line is this: After 2 years, the laserjet has paid for itself, we're making less e-waste (less toxic planet), which is all great stuff. As a side effect, we have asserted our dollar, telling the printing companies that inkjet/bubblejet technology and pricing is unacceptable, we DO NOT want throwaway technology! That is such a 1990-2005 mentality!

Going to laserjet was the best decision I've ever made. I will never, ever, ever go back again to ink. And for me, as someone who is responsible for running all endeavors IT-related for a 70-person trio of offices, I love that I have printers that I've spent less than 5 hours working on in 3-5 year time frame, even during pretty heavy office use.

You know me, when I am happy with something I will not shut up about it. Dell 3100-series and 5100-series have been amazing to me.

Dr. Death
09-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Laser printers are much better at material usage than ink. I always thought color laser printers were very expensive though. I will definitely reconsider for my next printer.

shifty
09-18-2010, 06:42 PM
More expensive than the deal I got with my 3100cn, but the 3130cn through DSB is $329: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&CID=SubCat4014&cs=04&DGC=IR&l=en&LID=BN1&sku=224-0485

It's $550 if you buy through home.

You just need to shop smart, you can get wicked deals at Dell if you shop smart ;)

Ninjahedge
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
I had one of those compact HP's about 10 years ago. Aside from the roller/feeder problem at a few years of age, I had no real problem with it for, I forget how many, but more than 5 years. ONE toner cartrige (with a lot of shaking later in its life) printed many a crisp page.

B+W only though, which IS a bummer.