PDA

View Full Version : NYC Fine Dinning

garm
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
OK ladies and gents. This is my problem, somehow (with all the great restaurants in NYC), I pick the worst. Which means, with all the times that I've been to NYC, I've not eaten well.

My next trip back is Black Friday weekend. So we're thinking of maybe hitting up the big names, but don't know if they are worth it:

Mario Batali
Gordon Ramsay
Bobby Flay

And I have no illusion that they'll be there cooking. I know they only have their name on the place and consult every once and a while.

I'm open to other restaurants as well. Price per head for the meal would be around $100-$150 without wine.

Ninjahedge
09-30-2010, 01:23 PM
There are MUCH better paces to find down in the Village.

How many people?
What cuisine?
Formal or not?

(I may not be able to give a good place, but come over to www.wirednewyork.com\forum (http://www.wirednewyork.com\forum) and ask there. They have some great ideas!)

garm
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
How many people?
What cuisine?
Formal or not?

2 people
Anything but Thai and Asian (GF doesn't like :( )
Formal or not doesn't matter

dragonash
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
hitting the village?

Go to AOC www.aocnyc.com

Have the FRITURE DE CREVETTES (Shrimp appetizer) or the QUICHE LORRAINE.

main course: JARRET D'AGNEAU

and chocolate gelato for the dessert.

If you want to keep it simple, go for their burgers.

The shrimp are huge, the meat is awesome and the gellato is fresh.

This place totally has nothing to do with me or my family or their other restaurant in park slope or the new modern chinese takeout that is being mentioned on many blogs, the WSJ, treehugger and the green restaurant association.... ;)

*cough*shamelessplugs*coughs*

Ninjahedge
09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
No Asian!!!!

OMG!

Has she tried real Asian food Garm? If all she had has been "Wok King" and "#1 Kitchen" I can understand, but....... Ah well......

Sounds good DA.

Oh, there is also a nice place called "Po" down in the village if you want modern French I believe......

shifty
10-01-2010, 10:14 PM
You know me Garm. You know I will not disappoint you.

Boqueria

Double Crown

Lupe

garm
10-04-2010, 01:07 PM
No Asian!!!!

OMG!

Has she tried real Asian food Garm? If all she had has been "Wok King" and "#1 Kitchen" I can understand, but....... Ah well......

I know - it pains me. I love Asian food, but that is her choice. :confused:

garm
10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
You know me Garm. You know I will not disappoint you.

Boqueria

Double Crown

Lupe

Thanks shifty - I'll check them out

shifty
10-04-2010, 07:45 PM
and come to Atlanta soon, I'll show you what real food tastes like. we have food that's on caliber with New York, just in a much higher concentration. much more adventurous, daring food down here for 1/4th the price.

Wes
10-05-2010, 03:51 AM
I've tried many restaurants from the Saget guide and I can't recall any particular one that really stands out, other than One if by Land, Two if by Sea. Read the review here:

http://maps.google.com/places/us/ny/new-york/barrow-st/17/-one-if-by-land-two-if-by-sea?gl=us

Ninjahedge
10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Shift, Manhattan is just so much larger..... There are places, but you have to dig more.

You are probably right on about the price though. Although I would not say it is 4X more expensive, it is definitely served at a premium.....

shifty
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Been there, done that. It's overhyped. Your best chefs come down here to open restaurants for a reason.

Ninjahedge
10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Easier women?

shifty
10-06-2010, 08:11 AM
You never told me your mom was living down here?!!?

Ninjahedge
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
My Grandmother.

My mother always played "Good cop".

garm
10-06-2010, 03:33 PM
lmao

garm
10-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I've seen this dish many times on TV, never knew they had it in NYC.

Sik Gaek (http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2010/10/video_of_live_octopus_hot_pot_at_sik_gaek_in_queen s.php)

Ninjahedge
10-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Interesting. I think it is a LITTLE cruel to do that to the squiddies, but you also have to remember they aren't like Kittens or anything (in terms of brains and perception, etc).

I don't think I would order that, but who is to say that they are not killed in a similar manner back in the kitchen if you did not get them in HotPot? (Aside from the obviously dead critters that are chopped up for things, but whatever).

Let us know your final decision! ;)

TazGirl
10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I went to this INCREDIBLE steakhouse once called Smith & Wollensky. Definitely high end, and service and food were phenomenal. I believe it's on 49th and 3rd.

Wes
10-19-2010, 05:27 AM
I went to Smith & Wollensky in Chicago on company's expense and I was quite impressed. When I got back to NY, I took my wife to the NYC one, but it was disappointing. The steaks were average. Service was poor. Decor and cleanness was quite poor as well.

I was comparing it with the experience I had in Chicago, and my expectation was high. So, the feeling could be a bit exaggerated.