PDA

View Full Version : HP laptop questions

=A!M=OakWind
10-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I have what looks like a bad hard drive on a Hewlett Packard laptop. Can I pick up one from Newegg easily, or do they force proprietary drives? It has a Seagate drive now (if I'm remembering right).

Also HP have some sort of internal memory to restore windows when I swap the drive right?

shifty
10-14-2010, 08:11 PM
you can get one anywhere if it's a standard 2.5". pull the drive out (it's attached to a caddy) and verify if it's a SATA or IDE drive.

Dr. Death
10-15-2010, 05:06 AM
HP recovery partitions are on the hard drive. Before swapping the drive, you need to/should have made recovery disks.

SOME laptops have 2 drive bays, so you could ghost the old drive onto the new one. Even if you ghost bad partitions onto the new drive, you can always repair the disk afterwards and repair or reinstall any corrupt files.

Another option if there isn't an extra bay is to use something like a Seagate Replica external drive. The Replica backup software will back up all local drives. They provide a recovery boot CD that you can then use to restore the backup once the drive is swapped out.

=A!M=OakWind
10-23-2010, 01:57 AM
The laptop won't boot, and doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. So I made a recovery flash drive from my pc. It would load the recovery program but would lock up when it had to access the hard drive.

I'm not worried about lost data, just being able to reinstall a fresh copy of win7. Any tips on doing that via flash drive?

I can read the make/model but not the win 7 key. You guys think HP will provide it to me if I can provide the make/model?

shifty
10-23-2010, 09:41 AM
It's totally possible that they may do that? Have you attempted to contact their support team yet?

=A!M=OakWind
10-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I found out it is still under warranty, there's about a week left. They are going to send me a hard drive and recovery disk, which still leaves me trying to figure out if I can do a recovery with a flash drive/external hard drive.

I asked about the windows key and was given a 9 digit number which doesn't look right, we'll see when it gets here.

shifty
10-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Uh, do you want me to send you a usb dvd-rom drive? They're only like $30 and worth every penny.

=A!M=OakWind
10-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Yea, you want it back?

shifty
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
don't really care either way.

shifty
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
if you have a portable USB IDE hard drive case somewhere and an optical IDE drive, you can probably finagle out something.

=A!M=OakWind
10-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I think I can get the recovery disc/s to work from an external hd or flash drive. I'll worry about it when they get here Thursday. Thanks anyways.

shifty
10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
No worries. If you find yourself shafted, lemme know. I have a spare drive I rarely use and don't mind parting with it. Shipping would be less than $10.