PDA

View Full Version : Virus

Radiation Burns
06-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Good morning,
A co worker of mine has caught a virus called backdoor win 32 hupigon.gen!e. She swears she was just on facebook. Will Avira or Malware bytes take care of this? Or are there more extreme measures called for? :confused:

shifty
06-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Yep, Avira should take care of it, and I would scan with MWB also just to get any extra crap off. And yep, social networking sites are a HUGE place to pick up viruses.

Radiation Burns
06-15-2009, 12:35 PM
lol... honey I wasnt looking at pron, I got it from my buddy at facebook :)

What is funny is, I am out at all kinds of warez sites, pron, torrents etc and I have never gotten anything... but I run the up to date av. I used to run AVG, but then you said avira, and I changed over that weekend. and knock on wood I have not gotten anything on my or my sons machines.

shifty
06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Correction: you've never gotten anything you KNOW about. some of these things are so sneaky (esp. the rootkits) that you'd have NFC if you had one or not.

a lot of people are incredibly surprised at what some of these tools turn up. and, for that matter, they only turn up what they're able to detect, meaning you may be infected and they're just not smart enough to detect it.

]LoL[Harm
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I have one huge solution for you all. Move to linux ;).

shifty
06-16-2009, 11:34 AM
How about, "no" ;)

I run Ubuntu 9.04, OS X and WinXP on my MBP right now. Each OS has its advantage. But in my particular environment, it makes most sense to be booted into WinXP most of the time.

Now that Evolution is finally getting up to snuff and tying more seamlessly into Exchange (since Snow Leopard is coming Exchange-ready out of the box) ...maybe Linux will be a viable solution in the near future.

I think the Open Source movement both helps and hinders Linux as a whole.

]LoL[Harm
06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
I game on a Vista box so I'm really just kidding around.

But I have my own firewall and use two anti-x products. I haven't been infected by a virus since Windows 98.

Though I do usually rebuild my systems every 6 months.

Ninjahedge
06-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Tried Linux. I thought it was OK, but difficult to get everything tweaked (in that, you can tweak EVERYTHING).

The media players available were not the greatest (compared to MPC+CCCP), and when I tried dual boot, it would not boot up one of the systems (I forgot which one, probably XP). SO I tried to start over and now half my drive is unrecognizable (I think even on an attempt to reformat).

If anything seems infallible, let me at it and I will find a way to inadvertently screw it up.

shifty
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
The media players issue is one of the biggest complaints and is the most glaringly obvious mistake with regard to open source software and problem with Linux in general.

Linux's biggest flaw is that everything is open source, so you have 5,000 titles that all do the same damned thing, but almost every title lacks some crucial feature to make it "complete". Your average user wants a native tool that will just "work" for everything. They don't want to sit there and figure out how to install and uninstall all 5,000 music/video players and see which one looks and functions the best and has all of the required features. I personally don't like that I need to install VLC to have a decent video player, and Amarok for a decent audio player. Windows comes with WMP, which, with a simple codec pack install, will play nearly anything, and is friendly to both video watching and CD/audio listening. You even have this in OS X, FTMP (moreso than Linux). OS X is "as polished" as Windows.

Linux needs someone to grab the bull by the horns, take some control, and develop a fully working OS that you can just install and run with. Ubuntu has done an amazing job at getting most of the way there. 9.04 is showing a lot of promise. Hopefully by the time they get to 10.x or 11.x, they'll get it right. With MacOS Snow Leopard coming out for $29.95 license ($49.95 for 5-license "family pack") and Linux being free, I am sooooo hoping that M$ is forced to lower their currently absurd OS price from $200+ down to $50 max. There is no reason they should justify that kind of $$ for an OS.

Ninjahedge
06-17-2009, 08:57 AM
No, not for an OS, especially when they charge (last time I checked a LONG time ago) $500 for Office.

M$ should really look at what some other companies do with their products. Especially ones that are production oriented. Offer them for a token fee (maybe just development cost) for the home user, but require licensure for professional use (profit).

You get a COMPANY to pay $$ per head for the production pack, you do not have to worry about the user. Not only that, you give it inexpensively to enough users, they are encouraged to use that over other software (use at home for free/little, more likely to ask IT for it at work).

I am hopeing the OS market starts doing the same thnig as the Browser market with Firefox and Chrome. Get to a place where there are some serious FUNCTIONING systems to give M$ a run for the money.

]LoL[Harm
06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
In all reality guys, the Microsoft Operating Systems that you use at home really don't cost much. I have never felt buyers remorse when I purchase a $200 operating system (I paid $150 for my Vista Ultimate, you just have to wait for sales or other opportunities). You can often find the upgrade option for under $100.

If you go bleeding edge you of course pay out the ass, but that is true for all technology.

And really $200 OS is nothing compared to the $1100 that my systems hardware costs.

I have a feeling that Apple is not making any money whatsoever on the sale of Snow Leopard.

And Office 2007 Home edition only costs around $145 full price, you can easily grab it on sale for under $100. That comes with Excel, Powerpoint and Word. But in all truth I'd go with OpenOffice (which is what I use on my Vista system), it's a pretty good replacement (though its visio replacement needs a little work).

Radiation Burns
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
I have run Linux Mandrake, Redhat and Suse, and the problems I had with them was if you get out of the GUI, then you better know the system commands to get back in... otherwise you are screwed. I liked the install process, simple and always found teh drivers that worked. I didnt mess with much for media, becasue I couldnt get them to work well once I crashed out of the GUI. I have never tried Apple, well, since a 2c I had back in the early 90s... we used it to program a cnc machine at a machine shop I worked at. I still use XP for my gaming machines and Vista on the little craptop my son has.

=A!M=OakWind
06-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Bill Gates is a billionaire = Windows is overpriced.

dragonash
06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Bill Gates is a billionaire = Windows is overpriced.

Well there is pure logic for ya :rolleyes:

]LoL[Harm
06-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Profit and success then are bad right? ;)

=A!M=OakWind
06-18-2009, 03:38 AM
Or you could call it:

Greed gouging monopoly

Ninjahedge
06-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't say that they charge too much because he is a Billionaire, but the reasoning behind him having THAT MUCH money eludes me. Once you have a billion, what the heck is the rest for?

Bragging rights?

And you KNOW he is not the only one earning oodles of cash in that company.

No, the only thing I see as wrong about charging so much for a basic OS is that it is just that. You have set your machine up to run software that, although not monopolistically restricted like OS-X, still offers a distinct advantage to the one who writes all the rules.

Other programs that actually do the work, that earn the cash, are entitled to their share of the goody basket that their software brings, but the OS is a hard one to stand by.

I don't think it should be FREE, mind you, but tell me this.

How many Microsoft products would work without it? Secondly, how much work do you think is saved by using the scripts, resources and features that are native to the OS?

Whatever. I thought $100 was bad (especially when you can frankenstein a pretty good machine for about $700 now). Nevermind more than that for all these different OS "flavors". :p

]LoL[Harm
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
If you build a $700 hardware system go and get Windows Vista Home edition for $86 dollars on Amazon. I still don't see the issue. There is also Home Premium for $99.

From cost perspective, you're talking 13% of your hardware costs to get an OS on it. I still don't see that as a massive cost.

I'm not debating the logic behind "Why Microsoft charges what they charge", I'm debating the logic that it is overpriced in comparison to the hardware that you use. Because the same argument should be used on the hardware itself. Because it is also just a basic foundation unit, though not a strictly apple to apple comparison.

Why I am driving at this, is because Apple products on the whole are more expensive on the hardware side of things than PC hardware. Which might lead one to understand why they are able to charge such a low price on their latest OS.

And for the mention of Bill Gates and his money. Steve Jobs isn't exactly a pauper being #49 on the Forbes list with a net worth of $4.9 Billion dollars. He isn't as rich as Bill Gates, but give him some time, Apple is making some headway in multiple markets. :)

I am not a Microsoft supporter, and I don't really like Apple all that much either. My Microsoft anger comes more from their server side of things though, where true price issues exist (in my opinion, especially if you are a small business and trying to start a small data center with database needs).

My Apple anger is over their basic consumer products that are overpriced and lacking in crucial functional, and overly common areas. Like being able to add memory to an iPod, why add that feature, instead just make different sized ones and sell them at different price points. Or, why not use a USB connection for your iPod instead of their funky connector? (These issues may have been fixed, my experience is with an older iPod my girlfriend owns which was over $240 in price but you couldn't upgrade the memory on it, which is freaking laughable in this day and age.) :)

Radiation Burns
06-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Update on Virus post, she got it again and bought this great antivirus called inter ha ha ha for 40 bucks...

Radiation Burns
06-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Some people arent too tech bright.

Ninjahedge
06-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Check her internet history.

You know the rest (she might not have got it "again", she may just have never been fully clean...)

Radiation Burns
06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
but she bought the "antivirus" it was advertising and now its gone away...

dragonash
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
omfg....

give her a cheapo laptop with ubuntu and a big icon that says "internet" on it
She should only be allowed to use that.

Radiation Burns
06-22-2009, 11:15 AM
lol, I give up with people like her. She got hit with extortion ware, paid and now from what I have read there is a nice backdoor into her machine for those buggrs. Not to mention that they have her CC # now

Bald_Yew
06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Yup. I fix at least 3 PCs a week with WinAntivirus, Personal Antivirus, Spysherrif, or any number of variants.

Ninjahedge
06-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I hope you hit her softly.

Radiation Burns
06-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I hope you hit her softly.

Just a slap on the back of the head :D

dragonash
06-22-2009, 02:41 PM
hey, pass this along to her.

I have a bridge I'm looking to sell. If she doesn't buy it, I wont let her cross ;)

Ninjahedge
06-22-2009, 04:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowery_Bugs

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6669/pdvd0238wx.png