PDA

View Full Version : Forehead cut...

Ninjahedge
10-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey guys.

Running up the stairs last night I missed one and ended up clocking myself on another. Aside from the bang and scrape to the forearm, I also got a nice impact gash running parallel to my eyebrow, just above it. It is less than an inch long but it was bleeding pretty well and seems to be bruising up today.

I kept ice on it for a good twenty minutes (and that is when I realized it was bleeding), rinsed it with cold water, blotted dry. I forget if I put antibiotic on it then or waited a bit, but I did end up icing some more (with a gauze pad and neosporin), then blotted again and sealed with New Skin (holy fire!). It still was leaking a bit, so I put a second coat on, and placed a water resistant bandage across with some neosporin on the pad.

Here are the questions:

1. Did I do right?
2. How big would be ABSOLUTELY needed for stiches?
3. How would I replace the bandage? (How long should I wait before pulling on it?)
4. Any way to remove it that won't re-open it?
5. I am a bit woozy (not major) with a slight brow headache. Should I be alarmed? I do not think it is a fracture (no sharp pain) or concussion (no nausea, serious dizziness)....

Just looking for some advice (besides "don't run up the hardwood stairs in socks").

TIA
-NH

Saboteur
10-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Might be worth having it checked out just because any scar will be really visible for the rest of your life. I would at least suggest having a butterfly bandage on it to hold the edges of the skin together to minimize scarring.

Ninjahedge
10-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I was thinking of getting some of those.

I am not TOO worried about scarring. It is close to the brow line and was pretty even. Still, I know what you are saying.

BTW, stiches won't help much w/scarring (as my left hand will attest to). I think long term bandaging is more important to prevent the scar from stretching/spreading over time.

Are BB's available at the drug store?

lilith
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
I they are available at the drug store and would be well worth it. Maybe you could try some Mederma for scarring too. I know you aren't too worried about it, but think about your family that has to look at you all the time!! :p

Saboteur
10-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I think so much damage has been done to them already in that regard that this won't help.

shifty
10-23-2010, 09:58 AM
i wouldn't have done the nu skin/new skin because you're not supposed to apply to open wounds and/or "internally" as the package should clearly state, but otherwise, sounds good. if you want to help healing the most, you need to keep it wet with ointment that has bacitracin in it (triple antibiotic is best, but neosporin will work).

i was running cat5 at work a couple months back and while pulling a wiretie tight with diagonal cutters in my hand (almost like cuticle scissors), i stabbed myself in the face. both of the ends went deep into my nose, one pierced through to the nostril. i sat in the ER for two hours and watched as crackhead after crackhead with no insurance got treated before me before getting pissed and leaving. i went back to the office, used the saline rinse we had to flush out the wound (*wince*), dried it, pushed the ends together and held for a minute to get them to stick, and topped it with neosporin. i kept reapplying.

if you don't want to scar, the key is to keep it from separating (either by butterfly tape or other means), keep all water and irritants out of the wound, keep it covered with antibiotic ointment at all times to prevent crap from getting in there.

attached a pic of my nose after stabbing myself, with me pushing my nose back so you can see the actual wound. the pic doesn't do the wound justice. just think about punching yourself in the face at full force with a sharp pair of cuticle scissors.... i'm lucky i didn't hit my eye.

Ninjahedge
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
No shift, I see the "flap" there (little triangle). That must have brought a few tears to your eyes...

The one I got was just a lucky unlucky slam. i took some force on my shin and forearm and left knee (I am feeling them more later now that some are getting sore/black and blue). I did not even feel my shin! Just teh forearm and head.

I am lucky that I did not just sit there and wince but got up for ice, there is very little bruising on my forehead (little swelling).

I know what you say about New Skin. They say not to use it on open wounds, probably because of the solvent. I am sure my body did not 100% appreciate that.

But I just took off the skin tape last night and the new-skin is still holding. The cut is still there and is fresh red (it is not leaking, so it is not fresh blood, I guess it just has not oxidized/clotted...). When the nu-skin comes off, I may put a strip on there for a few weeks to keep it from spreading or opening up if I play any sport.

Thanks for the info guys!

lilith
10-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Which one of you should we start calling scarface?!?!? :D

I know what you mean shifty about the emergency room at the hospital. The last two times I went, it took over 5 hours total before I was seen, taken care of and left. And then, my insurance has changed so much that I get charged $200. If I'm going to spend $200 and five hours somewhere, I want to have enjoyed myself!!! :cool:

My doctor keeps asking me why I didn't go to the emergency room for things I've complained of and my answer is "what for?... They don't do anything." If I'm unconscious or unable to stop bleeding, fine! Take me there. Otherwise, I'd rather heal it myself!

shifty
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
@lil, for real.

@hedge, keep it wet with stuff. you'll be fine. no tears on this one. i have no nerves left in my nose. i've broken it pretty badly three times and all i feel when struck in the nose now is the initial pressure of the blow, and ... that's it.

10-30-2010, 02:54 AM
You'll live I'm sure. :)

BTW-I,ve found that falling (if you can call it that) up the stairs hurts more than falling down them.

Ninjahedge
11-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Tumble vs slam.

I guess it all depends on how fast you were going on each!

the new-skin has peeled and I am not bandaging it now. I just have to remember not to do the morning eye-rub when I get up (I have started, to feel a bruise like pain when I do). The line is a thin red one right now and I hope that is all (and it will disappear as it heals).

Thanks for the info!

shifty
11-01-2010, 12:53 PM
continue to keep it wet, even if it's sealed. trust me on this one. it's annoying as ****, but the skin there isn't fully developed and is still a potential "in" spot for bacteria.