PDA

View Full Version : iPhone and Corporate Exchange

dragonash
11-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know if I would get 2 different address books if I put my iPhone on my corporate exchange server?

Or will everything get merged?

shifty
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't remember how it works. I've had to setup a couple of iPhones and an iPad tied to our Exch2007 server this past week, but I really didn't pay attention to what it does. Want me to go hit the users up and ask them?

dragonash
11-08-2010, 03:29 PM
believe it or not, I have done the exact same thing. Never paid attention. AND I just asked a couple of users lol

great minds eh?

seems like joining it to exchange will wipe out your current contacts.
So not only a single address book, but deletion of what is on your phone currently. Nice.

you can however, back up the address book to a csv file and reload it into your outlook address book. Then they will sync.

Also, you can buy an iphone app that lets you have groups in your address book so you can keep work and personal numbers separate

Saboteur
11-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Huh. The Palm Pre keeps each account separate but merges them for searching, etc. on the phone. I have addresses from corporate Exchange, gmail, hotmail, Facebook, etc. all side-by-side. If I delete my Exchange profile from the phone, those addresses are gone but the rest are still there.

dragonash
11-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Sab - I guess things changed for the new iOS, but it looks like apple did right by it.

I just did a test run (knowing i fully backed mine up and if ever needed, it could be restored) and it does initial merge everything. However, you get new options for your contacts and calendar. Yes, everything can be seen separately. I'm actually quite pleased.

This will be a nice $80 bill off my back once i get my company to pay for it :) which is why im doing all of this.

]LoL[Harm
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah I couldn't imagine they'd overwrite or delete existing addresses on the phone. My blackberry didn't do that when merged.

dragonash
11-11-2010, 08:41 AM
from what i've been told by early adopters (pre iOS 4), the iphone never gave the option to keep.