PDA

View Full Version : I deserved it, but still....

Ninjahedge
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
OK,

Here's the story.

I forgot (literally) there was a stop sign at one intersection in Hoboken. COMPLETELY.

Add to it, there was a cop riding right behind me. Great luck, eh? He could not believe I ran it (at all of 20 mph) and asked me why.

Instead of saying "I did not see it", which was true, I said "I forgot there was one there", also true, but profoundly stupid.

He gave me a "warning" from his open window and drove off.

Yesterday, in the mail, I get a ticket mailed to me. $85 and 2 pts on the license.

Now, the two thnigs that bug me about this the most are:

1. The chicken-poop did not have the balls to be able to get out of his car on a cold day to go through the standard run? WTH? Why tease someone like that!

2. I have a family member PBA card. For something this minor I probably would have just been left with a warning and a cop that would remember my face.

It really pisses me off that a cop can pretty much grab your plate number and give you whatever ticket they want through the mail (so long as they make sure you were at the right place at the right time) and there is not much you can do about it.

Again, granted, I was stupid and ran the sign (if anybody has been to 10th and Willow in Hoboken, you can see where you can miss that sign when trying to figure out what route to take into the Dead Presidents to go to a class.....).

The $85 does not worry so much as the points. Car insurance LOVES points. My rates could easily go up $200 a year for 3 years for this BS!

:mad:

reds
01-14-2011, 02:26 AM
that's jersey for ya :p

Ninjahedge
01-14-2011, 08:57 AM
For the insurance? Yeah. But I have met maladjusted cops from all over....

phegh.

lilith
01-14-2011, 12:01 PM
In MA, something like that would stay on your insurance for 7 years! Insurance companies are crooks! The original concept of insurance started when neighbors would all put some money in a pool in case any of them had an emergency there would be enough money to cover it. No one made any money off of it. At some point, managing the money became a full time job, so the manager got a salary. Still a far cry from what we have today. Mandatory insurance for your car & home. When you make a claim they get every single dollar back and then some! Multi-billion dollar corporations full of greedy executives. :mad:

Plus, I just found out that for my homeowners, once you make a claim, you can't switch insurance companies for 5 years afterwards! So, last fall I researched and found the best rate possible, but couldn't go for it because of the stoopid five year rule. Worst part is that my claim was for less than $1000. (laptop stolen) Again, they'll get back every penny they gave me... and more!

Auto insurance point are really twisted too. My son let his fiance drive his car and she got into an accident. Because he didn't replace the car, he doesn't have any insurance currently. She was on a permit and also doesn't have a car. He was on my policy, so they gave me the points! Just called them yesterday. I wasn't even there, never would have let her drive but their policy is that SOMEONE has to pay! :eek: After complaining mightily they said that they'd look into it.

phegh is right! :mad:

Ninjahedge
01-14-2011, 01:59 PM
So now I called in to contest on a night court gig and I have to waste an evening to try and get them to possibly shift it to something that does not have any points.

I know I will have to pay court fees (BS) so this might just be a waste of time.

We will see.

lilith
01-14-2011, 06:34 PM
The hearings officer at the registry told me you should always contest tickets.... You're doing the right thing! :D

garm
01-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Last time I waited to contest a ticket I was sitting at the courts all day - waste of time and wasn't worth the $80

tensux
01-17-2011, 08:22 AM
are you sure its not one of those area"s that photograph you and automatically send you the ticket?

Ninjahedge
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
TS, I am positive.

There aren't any political figures that live near that corner! ;)

Again, my only worry is the points. I know that I have little chance of getting anything, especially traffic related, thrown out in Hoboken court.