PDA

View Full Version : windows installer hell

lilith
04-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I can't seem to shut it off. I googled it and found the place where it's supposed to shut it off, but it still appears every single time I click on anything. Then the computer pauses like it's processing something before the window's installer window goes away. I can't do anything else until it decides to go away. How do I really shut it off? (no I don't own a windows cd, the computer didn't come with one...) :(

Dr. Death
04-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Need details:

Windows version?

When you say "click on anything" is that just Office apps, windows features, or literally anything?

Dr. Death
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Have you gone through this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

lilith
04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
click on anything as in trying to open programs (any program like realplayer, skype, chrome, firefox etc. and windows apps), or links on websites, or tabs in my browser, move around in documents. So, no, not "everything" but pretty close....

The link you posted looks promising. I'll start there. Thnx :)

garm
04-23-2011, 12:01 PM
I've gone through this hell recently as well. When a program did not install properly and then it got stuck in the installer.

What has worked for me is to identify what failed to install or if that is not possible, then i would try restoring a previous backup. If that still fails, then i just deleted some of the more recent instances of programs in the installer directory. Note though, in some instances this causes programs to fail at updates and uninstalls.