PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero goes flat faster than regular Coke

shifty
06-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Random rant.

I'm a huge fan of Coke Zero, it's so much closer to tasting of the real "Classic" Coca Cola. I think the thing that makes the "Coke" product so kickass is that it is carbonated to high hell, it's so carbonated it's almost painful to drink, plus the flavor is deep and rich. The only thing I've ever found more carbonated is Barq's rootbeer or Dr. Pepper (both are also distributed by Coke).

I personally love Coke Zero because the taste is spot-on with regular Coke, it just lacks that "syrupy" finish and mouthfeel that you get with a regular Coke. I drink Coke Zero like a fiend, at least one or two per day, and I've noticed something lately that really pisses me off about Coke Zero.

Coke Zero always loses its carbonation within 2-3 minutes of me opening the can, often before I get to a second sip. Sometimes I don't even need to take a first sip, I can just leave the can there - sitting on its own, with no tampering - it will just randomly start bubbling over after 1-2 minutes, and a minute later, it's totally flat.

Sometimes, just taking a single sip seems to start the process, almost like a reaction with my lips or condensate on the outside of the can triggers all the carbonation to fizz out. This never happens with regular Coke or Diet Coke. I can leave a can sitting out for several hours and it's still nearly just as carbonated as it was when I opened it (I've tried it recently).

I know the problem isn't because our Coke isn't fresh - I live in Atlanta, home of Coke headquarters, and work on the other side of Georgia Tech from their HQ and museum, and we get fresh deliveries from the local warehouse weekly.

I am curious what it is about the composition of Coke Zero that makes it go flat. I'm drinking one right now, I opened it when I started this thread, I'm on my third sip and it's already nearly flat.

Anyone else have this experience?

Saboteur
06-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Dah dah, da dut di dah.

It seems that you're not the only one to notice. Googling gives a number of hits of people complaining about (or at least mentioning) the same thing.

Never tried it myself - I'm a Pepsi person. Diet Dew, Diet Pepsi. I think Diet Coke tastes like I imagine battery acid would taste (before your tongue dissolved). :D

Ninjahedge
06-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Probably because of the nature of teh sweetener.

Anything you dissolve in a solution takes up space, and sweetner is no exception.

Try this, if you want. Take a spoonfull of salt and plunk that into a glass of cola and watch it FIZZ!!!!

I am not sure Sugar is really dissolved in the same way as other substances, but I can hazard a few guesses.

Sugar is suspended. It is not an ionic solution like NaCl. The fact that Na is a lot smaller than C6H12O6 and could probably bump any suspended CO2 molecules out of their hidey holes may be something similar to the components that are in a diet sodas sweetner....

You can try this: Take some seltzer and put in some Splenda (or Equal, whatever they use) and see if it fizzes out (stir LIGHTLY). If it does, well, you found your reason for fast-to-flat.

Just a thought.

shifty
06-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I thought Coke Zero used stevia (Truvia) for the sweetener, but in looking at Wikipedia, I see it actually uses good ol aspartame and acesulfame potassium. Aspartame is like ... super bad, all kinds of neurological ill effects over time, causes carb cravings, linked to diabetes, etc. and one of the key components of it breaks down into formaldehyde when it exceeds 80-something degrees.

Meh. So much for drinking Coke Zero. Guess I'll just stick with a regular Coke once or twice a month. I had one from Mexico at lunch today. Tastes just as good as the Passover Coke (real sugar!!).

Well, now I know it doesn't use Truvia, I can stop drinking it! Feh.

=A!M=OakWind
06-03-2011, 04:54 PM
I like my teeth too much for soda'"""s. :)

shifty
06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
i like my possession too much to misuse apostrophes ;)

garm
06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
No sodas in my house - they are evil.

Also, I cannot control myself around them. I'll down a 2L Pepsi in no time at all.

Pepsi > Coke :)

Ninjahedge
06-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Meh.

I like soda, but I never drink it fast enough to finish a 2L before it goes flat.

Some favs:

Dr. P
Any Lemon-Lime
San Pelligrino Limonata....

http://www.capri-flavors.com/images/san_pellegrino_limonata.jpg

shifty
06-06-2011, 10:08 AM
@Garm, It's hard to find Pepsi in Atlanta, quite frankly. Coke dominates everything here.

@Hedge, I have been chugging a lot of La Croix lately. The lime one tastes like a gin and tonic.

Ninjahedge
06-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Ah, I am confusing Tonic with Tom Collins mixer.

Always liked the latter.

Tonic... isn't that rather like sodium bicarbonate?

dragonash
06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
it's so carbonated it's almost painful to drink

random side rant:

im very sensitive to carbonation apparently, but yeah lol What IS that sensation when you drink a lot of a carbonated drink? It's not really pain, but like an overdose of stimulation. lol

Ninjahedge
06-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I think it is called "gas" DA.

=A!M=OakWind
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
random side rant:

im very sensitive to carbonation apparently, but yeah lol What IS that sensation when you drink a lot of a carbonated drink? It's not really pain, but like an overdose of stimulation. lol

Sounds like you have carbonation, and caffeination mixed up.

shifty
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
there is that fine line between pleasure and pain. i would say that excessive carbonation skates on it well.

Ninjahedge
06-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Tiny bubbles always better than big bubbles (ala Grocery Store Generic Purple "grape", etc)

06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Beer.