PDA

View Full Version : New mutator coming

Muscat
10-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I am making a new mutator for UT2004. Maybe I'm gonna port it to UT3 because I wanted to use UDK last version to learn a bit of the new stuff.
I am tweaking the weapons to have the best coming from all versions.
For the moment I have a complete Rocket Launcher, Shock Rifle, Flak Cannon and LinkGun. I don't go too far on the looking of the weapons because I'm pretty sure the problem is mainly the sounds. The other stuff missing are the school girls and boys style of the models and voices you have in UT99. Maybe someone has already done a voicepack for that after all these years so I am not gonna touch on the voices part and for the models this is too big because they switched from vertex animation to skeletal and now UT3 don't have vertex animations. We just need to pray until Epic decide to go back to the schoolgirls style for the next UT.:D
You have plenty of so so stuff in all version and some great stuff on each of them from Unreal1 to UT3. I will try to mix just the great stuff of all that in one simple mutator maybe another one for the dam classic style.

The concept is pretty simple but it is a lot of time consumed on annoying stuff when dealing with different limitations of the game and the tools including important bugs not solved after all these years.:D

If you have any idea of what can be done to resurrect the dam Unreal community with a simple weapon mutator let me know:D... We never know...

Here is the Final Version: Released 26 nov at 12h00. Download it again since I don't changed the package name except the .u . http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/MuscatStuff.php?filter=mutator&game=UT2004&ID=35

And remove the old one

http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/images/BestOfUnreal.jpg

ZorakMantis::LOB::
10-29-2011, 09:21 AM
If you host it somewhere you have a lot of testers here :)

Muscat
10-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Perhaps I'm gonna release a test version tonight or during the night. Stay tuned. :D

UT2004 last version is required..Why not testing the beast this Sunday in some Halloween maps?:D

Muscat
10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Well well well... I got more ideas and tried different things...em but this gonna be tonight or soon tomorrow for the online beta test. It is really beta stage with some stuff not added. I want to make some change in the skins and the model of one UT2004 weapon. Also if someone has a nice new Starting weapon model or can make the best looking Starting Weapon ever. Your welcome. The first Unreal model was cool but all the other ones are very bad. :(

shifty
10-30-2011, 11:43 PM
I still need a mutator to convert the latest UT into UT99 physics, weapons, etc.

Ninjahedge
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
It just amazes me when game makers hit on a good dynamic and they still think they need to change the way it works to "add" something to it (double jump anyone?)

Muscat
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi , Here is my open Myunreal beta release: http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/download/mymutators/UT2004-BestOfUnreal-Beta.rar

You gonna like it Shifty. :D
But if you want a mod which convert Ut2004 to UT99 you have the Unreal Tournament Revolution mod. (i am pretty sure this mod is not working online but you have some UT99 weapons ported to UT2004 and many stuff from UT99.

My mutator include weapon sounds from Unreal used in UT99 also and from UT3 for the ammopickup sounds. The main fire for the enforcer is like the one in UT3 all the remaining is pretty like UT2004 with some models from UT2003.

If we can try it online that will be cool.

Muscat
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
It just amazes me when game makers hit on a good dynamic and they still think they need to change the way it works to "add" something to it (double jump anyone?)

You have the UTclassic mutator included in UT2004 which remove double jump and tweak many stuff to feel like UT99.
It is something that can be done easily since it is already in the game. Maybe you talk about UT3..em .. I don't know if it is already done.

For the Physic... I need more explanation Shifty...What exactly you cannot do or you don't like?

Ninjahedge
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
It has been a while, but "Physics" is a way to describe many things:

1. Speed
2. Projectile behavior
3. Post explosive reaction (rocket hits).
4. Jumping/dodging (height, distance).

Other things just change the "feel" but have little to do with physics.

Again, speed is one. Others:

1. Weapon switch speed
2. Reload speed + ammo capacity
3. Damage
4. Hitboxes
5. Scale (especially map-wise)
6. Detail, or too much thereof (AKA UT3 was almost a headache to play with so much detail in parts that had little to do with the actual dynamic).
7. Actual weapons and their part (TF anyone? Hammar?).

Some things were due to map design, but others were combination things that just made the game feel less fluid.

UT99 was fluid, 2K3 was hokey, 2K4 better but still over-scaled, and UT3 was just soo much GAAAH! with nut enough functionality (like having voice communication standard. TF2 has this and it makes a WORLD of difference. I do not want to have to run TeamSpeak just to have a casual game).

Muscat
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
UT3 feels like playing a dark alien game without storyline, including all the sounds, physics and soo :D Not Sure if it was a good decision because all seems cold complex, dark and not familiar. It is dam complicated to figure what is good or not when you do this kind of stuff. Making a military realistic shooter is very safe and simple to do compared to an Alien games. TF2 is some kind of realistic environment with toons, weapons based on existing human style and weapons. That was a great idea to get a big community of players.

UT99 was kinda super hero tournament game with weapons. The sounds, anims and the retail maps were the main great things. The vertex animations were made frame by frame for each model. UT2003 and + is skeletal animations, you don't really control how the character look like when doing this kind of animation because it is the same bone animation for each character. You just figure it out when you see it in the game and they not gonna change the anim just for a specific character because everything need to perform great online.

Saboteur
10-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I was so pumped for UT Revolution... then it just sort of petered out after a beta release. I did play DM-Liandri on it a couple of times, and it was very good!

Here's a retrospective by the project lead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRhcQ_ZmS4

Muscat
10-31-2011, 10:54 PM
I tried Revolution again today and this is really under construction and even if some models are there in skeletal nothing is really set correctly. I started to make my own Skeletal impact hammer today based on the true anim frame by frame.
That's gonna be exactly like the original. I'm gonna fix the Painter to look like a real sniper rifle with the correct bones and anim. That's all. I already made the skeletal translocator in my TLMutator mutator.

For the code I'm gonna add a UTClassic version of this mutator with a 5 balls Rocket Launchers and the original bomb from UT to replace the crappy one in UT2003-2004.

After that I switch to UT3. UT3 is very different. The stuff is imported in the properties. They started that for the GUI in UT2004 but now it is everywhere.

Ninjahedge
11-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Idea for the teleporter, if you can script it:

The old teleporter was, I think, an unlimited use device. I am not sure when they added the 5 charge/recharge element and made it shoot farther (harder to TF when it moves faster...).

But why not use the "sticky" model from TF2 as an example? You tap it and the TP shoots a standard distance, you hold it down and you can charge it.

This would give a bit more flexibility to how you play the device. The only thing to keep in mind is to try and prevent out-of-map shots (shooting yourself "over the edge" and such) and to limit the full charge so people are not circumventing some map-makers choke points like bridges and the like.....

Just a thought.

Saboteur
11-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Teleporter???

Translocator!

(Blasphemer...)

:D

Ninjahedge
11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Meh.

Muscat
11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
That was the nightmare exporting with ActorX using 3ds max 2011 after all those years but well it is done. Now I remember how to skin a custom full animated weapon model using one mesh..:(

Hammar arena tonight?!! :D

Ninjahedge
11-03-2011, 08:59 AM
What source engine again?

(I will have to see what I have installed where from what...)

Muscat
11-04-2011, 12:04 AM
The Hammer is done for UT2004 but Now I'm thinking about the Alt Fire not useful at all in UT. What can I do with this ALT Fire?
Launching Eggs?:confused:

Muscat
11-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Ok , it seems that the hammer alt-fire can push the projectiles away so I done it that way but not really tested anything. Hard to test that kind of stuff alone....anyway...
So here is the beta with the UT HAMMMMMMAAAAAR!

http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/download/mymutators/UT2004-BestOfUnreal-Beta2.rar

NOTE: I ADDED A HAMMAR ARENA MUTATOR OF COURSE :D

Muscat
11-15-2011, 06:30 PM
DAmmit!!!!! Got an error in the rar file... Nobody talked about that emm..... where are the beta testers? Ok anyway it is almost completed. Maybe tomorrow...

I added a optional Rocket Launcher with 5 rockets and grenades from UT99. I just have to edit the dam Crazy Sniper Rifle and it's done ... No more time to lose on that UT2004 version... em...

I started to add those weapons in UT3 and it is a lot of work so maybe next year for the UT3 version or emm... never say never :D

I just want to release the 99Hammer for UT3 and that's all for the moment.

11-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I'll play it this weekend if someone wants to throw up a server :)
(or I could host one)

How about Sunday evening sometime, say around 9 PM EST, who wants to join?

Muscat
11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Cool!!! Here is the last release:

http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/MuscatStuff.php?filter=mutator&game=UT2004&ID=35

Let me know if something is not working... this time..:rolleyes:

11-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I guess no one wanted to join me but I will try it with some bots :)

Muscat
11-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I created a dedicated server... not sure anyone can access because of the firewalls. The server is called -=BEST OF UNREAL CLASSIC CTF MAPS AND WEAPONS=-

I need to find the old UT99 maps ported to UT2004 and add them, test them one by one

=A!M=OakWind
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
I uninstalled, sorry man.

Muscat
11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I am creating 3 CTF map lists
1 - BEST classic ut99 CTF maps ripped
2- BEST classic CTF maps remake
3- Best UT2 CTF maps including League maps unique to ut2003-ut2004

I found the ctf sounds for the ctf base/flag annoying too and changed for the one in UT99. I'm gonna random the capture music between ut99 and ut2004 and maybe ut3. Too much announcements kill the nice feeling of the weapons sounds and map sounds too. The mutator gonna mute the announcer if required without getting the annoying return and capture sound of ut2004 when no announcer is selected.
The UT2004 codding for the sounds announcement don't really respect the rules of using the default variables in the properties. I really hate that when I see that kind of things. :(

Muscat
11-24-2011, 10:28 PM
It is done... I release it tomorrow..
UT99 return flag sound
Ut99 drop , grab flag sound
Availlable in a Announcer pack too which can be used outside the mutator or with the mutator. You can mute the announcer in CTF Games and just have the sounds exactly as in ut99 with this Announcer pack.

The Hammer in the mutator can work with the UT99 translocator from the TLMutator for UT2004. Buy using both mutators you can telepunt and have more death messages for telefrag or Hammered kills.
The crazy sniper is now purple without some decorations I removed.
The Hammer view is set correctly. etc. I don't remember all.
Oh I added the UTclassic options: No Double jump, No dodge jump on wall, etc.
The classic Rocket launcher shot similar to the ut99 one. You have some differences when the grenades hits the floor but I think it is for the good.
That way the minimum informations is send to the server. Less lag etc.

Muscat
11-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Idea for the teleporter, if you can script it:

The old teleporter was, I think, an unlimited use device. I am not sure when they added the 5 charge/recharge element and made it shoot farther (harder to TF when it moves faster...).

But why not use the "sticky" model from TF2 as an example? You tap it and the TP shoots a standard distance, you hold it down and you can charge it.

This would give a bit more flexibility to how you play the device. The only thing to keep in mind is to try and prevent out-of-map shots (shooting yourself "over the edge" and such) and to limit the full charge so people are not circumventing some map-makers choke points like bridges and the like.....

Just a thought.
Ok this is a nice idea I think.. I just started to understand...:D
This gonna be in another mutator to see if it is possible.

Ninjahedge
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Yay!

;)

Saboteur
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Heretics! :D

Muscat
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Updated NOW include INSTAGIB :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooo em... yes it's true :o UT99 similar Instagib but with Plasma Beam. Better more than less.:D

http://www.audiotooth.com/unrealtooth/images/BestOfUCoil.jpg