PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Storm

dragonash
07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
ok, my corporate BB curve broke and I had the option for the storm since my "new every 2" time was up. So I went out on a limb and got the storm.

now imagine the iphone... and now imagine if the iphone had a half retarded step cousin from Georgia.

.... yeah. Thats the storm

Slayer
07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
I have had 3 different blackberries and have hated all 3 of them.

dragonash
07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
the curve, bold and tour (the tour is a combination of the storm and bold...it looks nice) work great.

the storm is an epic fail in my book

Saboteur
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I have a Palm Pre. Its good, but there's room for improvement.

shifty
07-23-2009, 11:09 PM
it's much better than it was. i've been using it for about 6 months.

now, it was similar to the transition i had moving to the pearl. took about 6 weeks to break it in.

i don't mind it, i love the screen space, but it is not business/email friendly by any stretch. the last software update (3-4 weeks ago) fixed a LOT.

i would trade up for the Tour in a heartbeat.

dragonash
07-24-2009, 06:42 AM
i find it very laggy and unresponsive.

It's painful at times, and this is WITH the new OS. Im looking for hacks to OC it if possible.

garm
07-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Storm, like you said, was an epic failure. I'm looking into buying a use Bold because its great. My GF and brother both have the Bold and they enjoy it.

1 hint that the Storm sucks the llama's arse is that online it is selling cheaper then the Bold - a lot cheaper.

Oh and if you peeps see any Bold's that are $300 and under - let me know

shifty
07-24-2009, 12:52 PM
i can't use the bold because i travel internationally. i need a GSM-capable phone and at the time, the only options were the 8830 (international, full qwerty, no camera) and the Storm (international, touchscreen, nice camera). for my job, i need to have a camera inside my phone and be able to shoot-to-email from my handheld easily.

i thought this was an epic failure on Verizon's part - making you choose between camera+touchscreen and cameraless+qwerty. there should be a third option, (there is now) of qwerty+camera.

Slayer
07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Our Company is currently recieving new 8830 BBs from Sprint. I hate the 8830! The keyboard keys are too small and close together, an IT guys told us the track balls have been failing alot, the side plats are a polished smooth chrome(so the BB can shoot out of your hands like a soap bar in a men's prison! :eek:), crappier reception than my older 7305e, and the list is growing. :p

dragonash
07-24-2009, 01:30 PM
thats what happened with mine.
6 months in, the trackball stopped scrolling down.

shifty
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
easy enough fix. mash down the ball and push in every direction. usually dislodges what is there. if not, you can easily remove the trackball and clean, just pop off the chrome trim ring and the trackball pops right out. it does good to give a routine cleaning every other month just to get rid of dirt and lint.

i'll never understand you folks who ***** about the trackball jacking up. it takes two seconds to fix and is a thousand times more useful than sidescroll.

meanwhile, my pearl had chrome side pieces. you must have the greasiest palms on earth because in 2 years of using it, mine never slid out of my grip once, and i was on it 24/7

Slayer
07-24-2009, 11:57 PM
easy enough fix. mash down the ball and push in every direction. usually dislodges what is there. if not, you can easily remove the trackball and clean, just pop off the chrome trim ring and the trackball pops right out. it does good to give a routine cleaning every other month just to get rid of dirt and lint.

i'll never understand you folks who ***** about the trackball jacking up. it takes two seconds to fix and is a thousand times more useful than sidescroll.

meanwhile, my pearl had chrome side pieces. you must have the greasiest palms on earth because in 2 years of using it, mine never slid out of my grip once, and i was on it 24/7

I haven't had a issue with the track ball yet, but I do love it over that dang scroll wheel! :)

And Shifty, imagine a car mechanics hands. I work on $500,000-$1,000,000 pieces of equipment that get my hands bloodied, dirty, grimy, caloused, etc. But the idiots at the top want us to us the damn things for emails, calls, enetering service orders, parts orders, etc. I am pulling my BB out of my holster about every 15 minutes, and sometimes with my hands covered in greesy oil and such. :p SO THERE!! :D

tensux
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
i gave up on blackberry and got a palm pre myself, after getting over the initial issues with battery life i have to say i really like it too, im almost used to the keyboard too

I have a Palm Pre. Its good, but there's room for improvement.

Ninjahedge
07-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Question, on a LG dare here (decent, but definitely not what you guys have).

Does Verizon have a GENUINE internet service? Or is it only a gateay service that requires you to go through their "VZ" service to be able to access other sites.

I noticed they mentioned things like Yahoo and Hotmail, but not Gmail, and i did not know if that was simply a compatibility issue or if it was 100% inaccessable.....

shifty
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
i surf the web all day long on my BB and have no problems with connecting to anything. the Storm even plays Youtube videos, etc. i have a GMail app, but can also access Google, Google Groups.

the problem with Verizon comes when you try to "tether" to your phone as a modem/gateway to the internet. they expect you to tie into VZ Access Manager (aka "VZAM") and pay double your current rate, basically, for internet service. then they have the goddamn nerve to cap your ass at 5GB of data throughput per month, AND charge you 10 per single MB overage! EGAD!

so, yeah. think about that.

Verizon can eat my nuts.

Ninjahedge
07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, I am thinking of getting it on the Dare just to pick up Webmail and the like.

I heard it is unlimited minutes and megs on the phone, but I can see where they would be bastiches with using it as a modem.... :(

Too bad, that would be great when you are truly "mobile" to be able to transfer stuff using the phone....