PDA

View Full Version : Good Place to Get Jacks and Plates

Bald_Yew
11-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Looking to buy 100 RJ-45's, 40 2 port wall plates, and 80 Cat5e keystone jacks. Looking at www.lanshack.com. Anyone else know of a good supplier with good prices?

shifty
11-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I get all of my Leviton Quickport plates at Home Depot and Leviton keystone jacks at whatever is cheapest to have the 25-pack Quickpack. Right now, it's Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5605841902P?sid=IDx20101019x00001 a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5605841902

There is a place locally that I could get plastic sheets full of the Leviton jacks for around a buck each, but they're out of business.

I won't use anything but Leviton. I've had nothing but problems with other brands.

Bald_Yew
11-29-2011, 09:24 AM
I ordered 80 QuickTrex jacks with the loadbars from LanShack - cost $149.12 with bulk discount. I guess I'll see what the quality is like.

...never thought to look at Sears..

shifty
11-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Sears will rob your ass in a heartbeat on shipping and tax, though, so be careful to check shipping before committing. I've seen it show up at Google Shopping as $6 shipping only to get to the site and have it show as $18 on something tiny they can ship in a padded envelope OR the $6 shipping if for economy 7-11 day delivery time shipping. Worse yet, it seems sometimes they're not actually selling it, they're allowing another vendor to sell through their store, similar to Amazon but seemingly a little more lawlessly (gouging on shipping, etc.)

Lanshack is pretty solid, so are CableWholesale and CablesToGo. CableWholesale has a distro center here in Atlanta, I prefer to order from them just because I get everything overnight if it's in Atlanta, and it usually is. The warehouse is less than 10 mins up the road (not sure if I can do local pickup, never tried).

I've used Quicktrex's keystone jacks. Not a big fan. I don't like the slot layout, I don't feel like it's suited well for a standard punchdown tool, no matter how sharp my 110 blade is nor how hard I set the impact on my punchdown tool, the wires on the outer side of the keystone never seem to cut fully on some and sometimes you'll find a valley with a flakey contact leading to a misfire (as long as it's not on 1, 2, 3 or 6 you're fine, but you won't get gigabit speeds if it's on 4, 5, 7 or 8). I also despise their coloring layout for the A/B punchdown diagrams on the side of the jack. It's not clear to read. They need to better mark each row and do a 1px box around the solid box/stripe box for clarity, then attach that to the letter. Leviton is the clearest marked on the market and easiest to use.

Using Quicktrex's keystone jacks, be sure to cabletest your drops afterwards between your patch and drop with a respectable 8-wire tester to confirm you're striking on all four pairs. You may come out better than I, good luck. I've just learned to drop the extra cash on Leviton. I'm shelling out an extra $50 per 30-40 connectors, but the reality is, I make that back up in less time spent testing and diagnosing drops, or repeat calls on-site to diagnose flaky connectivity issues.