PDA

View Full Version : Help - Connecting to same server with 2 PCs same IP

UnrealGrrl
03-14-2009, 01:25 PM
ok I was sure i had done this before but can't get it to work now...

I have a few pcs connected to the same cable connection & linksys router (not wireless) with unique retail installs of UT3.

I can login and connect to any server online without any trouble on all machines individually, but if i try to connect 2 machines to the same server, only one can connect at a time.
after the first pc is connected, if i try to connect with another one to the same server the second pc gets the "connection failed" message. (if i connect to a different server it works).

any sugestions?

it shouldnt matter that its the same ip, lots of people share ip addresses right? and im sure i have done this in the past without a problem.
im not a network expert or anything but i can usually figure out how to change settings and stuff so any help appreciated!

thanks!

ps. just for the hell of it i just tried it with one retail and one steam acct and same results. weird. (also tried turning off firewalls, changing routers, connecting two pcs to a hub, still nada)

Dr. Death
03-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Maybe it's a server mod? You know, to prevent one person from entering the game twice and watching a different area of the map all the time.

UnrealGrrl
03-14-2009, 07:27 PM
well this happens on every server not just a few or one particular... and theres no setting on servers to deny multiple ips in webadmin so its gotta be clientside , either that or not allowed at all in the first place. but i could swear i have done this before.

Dr. Death
03-15-2009, 06:02 AM
It probably has something to do with your NAT router. Most routers maintain connection info between a specific IP/Port and the private IP address on the LAN side. That way the responses to requests from one private computer will get routed to the same private computer (the response from the outside server ONLY has your public IP in it.) Did you perhaps have one computer in the DMZ, or connect the second computer using a different port, when it did work?

UnrealGrrl
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Did you perhaps have one computer in the DMZ, or connect the second computer using a different port, when it did work?

see now im not sure what youre talking about :) i may have done something to make it work in the past but honestly dont know what that might have been.
in other words, theres a way to make the 2 machines look different to the outside and they might not now? is there a good (hopefyully simple) starting point to try something like that? i know i have port forwarded before for p2p type things so i'm not totally lost here :) i can at least follow directions sorta...

=A!M=OakWind
03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Do this on both computers and post results:

start>run cmd
ipconfig /all