PDA

View Full Version : Blocked or Not?

Ninjahedge
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Here's a weird question.

I am here at work at the end of the day and wondering if there is a good beer distributor somewhere near where I am.

I do a search and find several on Google, I click Beeradvocate.com and I get the "Nuh-uh" blocked message from Trend Micro.

But before I close, I notice that the search is still able to give me a complete preview of the page....

What is causing this? Is the page being beamed to google, re-parsed into a preview image (including "break" marks) and sent to me? Can this be done with other things?

Muscat
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Google cache. The data is on the Google server not at the blocked address

Ninjahedge
01-13-2012, 09:24 AM
That is what I thought....

I forgot the terminology, but this is similar to the bounce-through that is used to get around the blocks by places like China? (Proxy server?)....

shifty
01-13-2012, 11:36 AM
the latter is a proxy server. Google cache is actually a cached version of the website stored on Google's servers. You can view any cached page you want by clicking through, and this bypasses most web filtering.

Ninjahedge
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, it ain't unlimited access, but it is still better than nothing.

Although I can wait until I get home to surf BeerAdvocate.com ;).

shifty
01-14-2012, 11:37 PM
Or you could just Remote Desktop into your home computer from the office and handle it that way. And if they block port 3389, setup Remote Desktop on your home computer to use port 80.

There's a way around everything, dude.

Ninjahedge
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM
I was not actively looking for a way... I really do not need to surf MORE at work... I was just curious when I was unable to get a link but I could see a rather detailed preview.

Thanks!