PDA

View Full Version : Limited connectivity virus?

dragonash
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
ok, weird as hell thing.

someone came to me today because their comp lost its connections. Ok fine.
I bring it back to my workroom and it still doesnt work. (not a jack problem)

everything seems ok. Everything should be obtaining automatically, but its not.
So i go into safe mode with networking. It connects! Ok...virus? Lets check.

I install malware bytes and also run mcafee. Neither find anything.
Network connection still wont work in normal windows.

I uninstall IE8 .... BINGO! It works.

I just got another call today with the exact same problem... But this user doesnt have IE8 installed. He has IE6! wtf.
Same stuff though. Safemode works...normal usage doesnt.

Both running SP2, winxp Dell 630's

shifty
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Did you try going to the Advanced tab in Internet Options and resetting everything to default? Did you look at the add-ons list to make sure there isn't some add-on problem? Did you check to see if there is a problem with WinSock present in HijackThis scan?

=A!M=OakWind
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been dealing with the same problem for a year.

I'll start the computer and try everything to fix it and can't. A simple Reboot will solve the problem, but it may take up to 10 times to work. I've checked the settings and there is no difference between when it's working and when it's not.

After tons of searching, the closest thing to a cause I could find was a windows update screwed it up. Wish I had kept the links now.

I have SP3 and Fire Fox. No viruses have been found on this install.

dragonash
08-03-2009, 08:11 PM
oak - after reading a bunch, everyone does seem to point to an old sp2 update bug.
But i shoudl play the lottery today if 2 people in a row had the same exact problem!

Shifty - i made everything default if it wasnt. I will try a hijack log tomorrow

I'm also going to try patching it with sp3 to see if that works. We are rolling out our new images with sp3, but some people have an old image and havent been updated yet.

dragonash
08-04-2009, 11:18 AM
shifty - just did an sp3 update and it didnt fix the problem
hijack this shows all green as well. (i used hijackthis.de)

im trying some driver updates

edit:

update failed. It's def something loading up with windows. The connections work in safe mode and someone else just got hit with the same problem.

Whatever it is, we cant see it right now and neither can malewarebytes or hijackthis.

Solution:
Ah!
This was a firewall issue combined with a corrupt policy (McAfee product). Copied the text file from a GOOD system and that fixed it.
I was thinking it was a new virus, so i sent in some samples to our virus team....who happen to be the firewall team too and they told us about the possible fix. They say they didnt push anything new down, but its VERY odd that 3 computers all have the exact same problem at almost the same time lol

Zaphod
08-05-2009, 12:00 AM
oh how i looooooooathe mcafee!