PDA

View Full Version : Random phone thoughts

Dr. Death
04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Just got 2 new Droid Razr Maxxes for the wife and me. She was going to go with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, until I noticed that the demos in the store had WICKED BURN IN!! I know that these phones are on and mostly on the home screens all day long, but I also read later about how the AMOLED screens degrade over time and how people are reporting significant burn in after only 5 or 6 months regular use.

Also heard a rumor that Verizon was disabling the Google turn by turn navigation to force you to spend $10.00 a month for their nav package. Turned out to be untrue.

The salesman was smart (second one I've encountered in the whole county.) Every time I asked a question he was right there with the answer. He suggested an app called "FoxFi" that allows you to do a wireless hotspot without rooting. Tried it last night, and it worked for my win7 lappy after a few tries (dunno why yet) and it worked for my wife's Kindle Fire right off the bat. Deff better than tethering.

I have dumped Sprint after 15 years and gone with Verizon. Downside: I no longer have truly unlimited data. Upside: I now have 4G LTE at my house. Sprint is starting over with 4G so they probably would never have it at my house. Verizon has a promotion right now where you can get double the data for the 2GB price ($30.00.) So we have 2 lines with 4GB each. Should be enough, especially with the proliferation of WiFi hotspots everywhere.

I think that's about all that came out of my recent phone shopping spree.

shifty
04-17-2012, 10:46 PM
After BlackBerry, I went Droid with a Droid X. that lasted for 6 days, after which I returned the Droid and got an iPhone. I hate to be one of "those guys", but I love it and won't be giving anything Android another shot any time in the near future. I understand from talking to Droid junkie friends that Droid X was the worst choice I could have made for Android, but ... Meh. Google's problem, not mine. They need better control over what manufacturers are doing with their OS.

Dr. Death
04-18-2012, 03:04 AM
I didn't consider an iPhone or iPad because they don't do flash, and I need flash.

Ninjahedge
04-18-2012, 10:19 AM
He'll save every one of us.

tensux
04-18-2012, 03:32 PM
i have a e4gt, It has an amoled screen too. I have used it heavily for 6 months, and I cant say that I have noticed or expect any screen degradation. I am addicted to flashing as well. At least a few times a day, back and forth on different nandriods as if I were just changing the theme.

Sprint is great in my area. Crazy fast 4g speeds, I often tether and download at 6-8mbs down from the newsgroups. If I expect to be in an area where sprint is weak i will use a custom prl to roam on verizon for data.

lilith
04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I've got the Samsung Stratosphere... love Swype and Skype on it! Other than that, the phone is not that extraordinary. Also has amoled screen but like Ten, I haven't noticed any degradation. But, then again, it's still new. It was buy one at $99 and get one free., So, $50 each.

I have 5 lines with Verizon. 3 were grandfathered into unlimited data. 2 were not. One of those is the heaviest user and the other will never use it. (my Mom)

My son is due for an upgrade the end of May and what I usually do is give him my old phone and take the new one. (that's the price of having Mom pay for your cell phone when you are an adult...) My phones are usually only a couple months old when he gets them.

Anyhow, I'll be looking for a new phone the end of May. I kinda like Verizon so will probably stick when them, but am not sure which phone I'll get yet. It will have a QWRTY keyboard though, so my options are limited.

shifty
04-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I didn't consider an iPhone or iPad because they don't do flash, and I need flash.

Flash is soon to be dead.

tensux
04-22-2012, 08:12 AM
i read too fast , i thought he was talking about flashing his phone, not the browser plugin lol

lilith
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I can't see or hear the word flash with out hearing "aahh, aahh" in my head!:eek:

Ninjahedge
04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
He'll save every one of us.

tensux
04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
no idea what that means

I can't see or hear the word flash with out hearing "aahh, aahh" in my head!:eek:

Ninjahedge
04-23-2012, 05:05 PM
You are such a queen ts.

tensux
04-23-2012, 05:46 PM
lol, now i am totally confused

Saboteur
04-24-2012, 02:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmrHTdXgK4

tensux
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
ahh.. the only 70S band i think i hate more is pink floyd

Ninjahedge
04-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Um..... Floyd was out in the 60's through the 90's.....

*shrug*

tensux
04-24-2012, 06:12 PM
really that long? i thought they just played the same song over and over and over and over...

Ninjahedge
04-25-2012, 08:33 AM
No.

They aren't The Dead... :P

Dr. Death
04-27-2012, 08:17 PM
That was Metallica. Released what was essentially the same song 3 times.

Ninjahedge
04-30-2012, 10:37 AM
But they did it well.

To bad they were such... Richards.