PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" Mini Plug

Ninjahedge
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey guys, I just got my E2 Shure's headphone wire jammed in a truck rear metal thing and yanked clear out of its plug (frayed wires right into the solid rubber casing).

I need to replace the plug. I am thinking of hopping over to Radio Shack and picking up a miniplug and a cheap soldering kit.

Any clues on which pole on the the plug is R and which is left?

There also seems to be a sort of copper wire wrap around the two tiny signal wires. Could this be the insulation?

TIA!

Wes
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
not 100% sure, but I think the middle pole is R.

For the wire, two tiny signal wires are red for R and while for L and the copper wrap is the ground.

Dr. Death
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Parts of the mini plug from tip to base are "tip," "ring," and "sleeve."

For stereo applications (including stereo microphones,) the assignments are

left channel: tip
right channel: ring
ground/shield: sleeve.

(Wes had it right.)

For balanced mono microphone applications, the assignments are

balanced signal "low": tip
balanced signal "hot": ring
ground/shield: sleeve.

Slayer
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
If you have a multimeter, you can test your connections by setting the meter to ohms(omega symbol) and put the headphones on. Put the black meter probe on the ground wire(outside wire) and when you touch either of the inside wires you will hear a tick from the battery power. I used to use this trick when figuring out car speaker wiring.

Dr. Death
03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
All that will tell him is which wire is left (white) and right (red.) It won't tell him which pin on the new plug to connect them to.

If you had the old plug, you could cut it apart (most likely molded on and not "disassemblable." <-- is that a word?)

If you want to double check, then hook them up and try it out before screwing the housing over the plug.

Ninjahedge
03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
That's what i figured, give it a try.

The hard part is skinning the wire w/o breaking the copper......

Slayer
03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I am doing this off my blackberry so I am unable to read a lot of this clearly. I will later as a sort of history lesson. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Ninjahedge
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
OK, I took the wires out, this was a *****!!!!

The main wires (L and R) were TINY! I managed to split the insulation by threading a pin into the casing, poking it through, then sort of carefully prying it out.

the Radio Shack plug I used had screw mounts, which made some things easy and some difficult. What it made easy was NO SOLDER, what was difficult was keeping any stray strands form touching another pole (the center one or tip was the hardest. it would keep touching the ground when pinched by the outer casing).

I used some shrink tube for the R pin and the ground pins (I tried on the L and R and it just could not fit completely over the screws, so a thread would come out, or get pinched into the ground).

I finally got all of them on tightly, shrunk the wraps (several tries and permutations) and managed to include anothe wrap around the softer rubber casing material and the end of the wire. This made fitting the casing on the screw end jack plug difficult, and every time I crammed it together, the left channel would go out or the ground would disconnect (ruining the bass sound, it was kind of weird).

I finally got everything together and it works great!

I hope this lasts a while. I know if I catch on something again it will yank out and i will have to go through all of this all over again.

At least I can get the $8 back from the beginners soldering kit!!! ;)

Dr. Death
03-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Keep it. As soon as you return it you will need it for something else.

Ninjahedge
03-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Meh, it was a cheepie.

If I do keep it I will burn something!!! ;)