PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protector?

Cerwin_Vega
09-20-2009, 02:21 PM
My mom got an extremely expensive 55" LED HDTV and Klipsch surround sound setup. She has Rockfish wireless rear speakers that are plugged in in her attic. Every once in awhile there is a popping noise even if the system is turned off. The Geeksquad who installed it said she needs another surge protector plugged in in the attic where the wireless receiver is plugged in at. I was looking at Newegg and I really didn't know what to get. She told me not to worry about money but I don't want to buy the most expensive thing if it's not needed. Any company and/or spec.s I should be looking for to protect her wireless Rockfish unit from popping? I was looking at one of the 2 outlet Monster units. There's only going to be 1 plug used so no need for a whole lot more than that.

Wes
09-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Hmm.. When you power on the Rockfish, does it make the popping sound? Speakers usually have a protection circult for that and it shouldn't make that kind of noise.

Did you try put in just any surge protector? The more expensive one should work just about the same. I just don't see a surge protector could help it.

"IF" the noise is really caused by the line noise, you need a line conditioner instead. "IF" the power is really that bad, you probably even need a UPS instead of just a power conditioner (http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67). Power conditioner can only help so much.

Ninjahedge
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
If it is wireless it could also be due to some sort of signal surge (a compressor or other electric motor starting up or stopping, some sort of radio transmission on a frequency close to yours).

And I would never go for Monster, unless they are on sale.

Wes
09-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I would never go monster even they are on sale. They are like 10x over priced.

Ninjahedge
09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't think 10x, but I agree with the general gist there Wes.

teh only time I bought any was for a power outlet when The Wiz was going out of buisness. I think I paid $35 or less for a pretty solid one with all the attachments (nut not the $100 one!!! What a waste that thing is!)

Cerwin_Vega
09-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I think it's line noise as well.

The wireless rockfish like I said is up in her attic where her water heater is. It stays plugged in at all times.

I'll see if she or I have a regular surge protector around and use it. No way to test it because it may go a few days without a peep. Then the next day pop a couple times while all is off then while on as well. It's weird.

dragonash
09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
teh only time I bought any was for a power outlet when The Wiz was going out of buisness.

OT.... OMG, i remember the Wiz! lol

Ninjahedge
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Nobody beat them.

They beat themselves!

PS:

West Village: Serge Protector.

Dr. Death
09-24-2009, 02:23 PM
If it still pops with a surge protector, then try moving the receiver temporarily to the same outlet strip as the stereo. I doubt the noise is coming from the receiver, but check the radio frequency and type of the Rockfish. If it's 2.4 ghz analog, then the noise could be coming from just about anywhere. Cordless phones, wireless routers, and even cordless mice and microwaves, all use 2.4 ghz.

Cerwin_Vega
09-26-2009, 10:17 PM
If it still pops with a surge protector, then try moving the receiver temporarily to the same outlet strip as the stereo. I doubt the noise is coming from the receiver, but check the radio frequency and type of the Rockfish. If it's 2.4 ghz analog, then the noise could be coming from just about anywhere. Cordless phones, wireless routers, and even cordless mice and microwaves, all use 2.4 ghz.

I can't move it to the same outlet as the receiver. The rear speakers are mounted and about 20 feet away from the receiver.

I'll definitely check the freq. though. Thats a good idea. My mom has this crappy cordless phone she is always having problems with but that would be hard to believe.