PDA

View Full Version : Virtual reality is there !!! VR headset review

Muscat
08-12-2015, 11:46 AM
I received a nice VR headset yesterday.....
The Samsung Gear VR Innovator
That's great but now I need the dam cellphone :D
The Samsung S6 is required to use this headset so it is not a cheap purchase.
I don't have any enchanced cellphones so maybe it is the time.
More about it this week but if you have any experience with VR headsets.... any comments or experiences are welcomes :D

I can already say that for now this kit with the Samsung is the best you can get.
Any other cellphones even the Note 4 are a laggy when generating double VR images.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/wearables/gear-vr/

Wes
08-12-2015, 01:13 PM
There are so many VR headset came/coming out this year and next. Gonna be super exciting!

Muscat
08-12-2015, 03:38 PM
That was a pain but I got a nice price and a possible return in 30 days only at Videotron Montreal. $699 CAD + $17.95 for one month service. Samsung S6 32GB. Now ready to test it out :eek:

Muscat
08-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Ok I'm going to do this step by step since you have many things going on with that :D

1. The headset and S6 alone is not enough. You need a controller for the games and different stuff. I bought a PS4 controller, so now I have all the dam game controllers: PS3, xbox360, xbox one and PS4 but no PS4 or xBox one console LOL. You need at least the PS4 controller because its bluetooth connection is compatible with the S6 and partially work with the Oculus software. For the moment Bluetooth is slow or the software or maybe the Ps4 controller response on the S6. Samsung has a controller for the Gear Vr and the buttons are not necessary mapped at the same place. So well for me the Ps4 controller was the easy fast pick since you can get it anywhere but better buying the controller at the same time you order the Gear VR. Ps4 controller is not cheap because of course you have so many stuff you can do with it. (if you have a PS4 of course) :D You can also use the PS3 controller but you need to Root your Android phone and use the usb connector. In that case and for many other controllers you need a direct connection to the USB port with an OTG cable like this.: http://www.amazon.ca/CNE16187-Micro-USB-OTG-Adapter/dp/B005QX7KYU With the PS4 controller you just need to press the PS4 button and share button at the same time on the controller and choose your controller in the bluetooth list of peripherals on the S6.

2. of course you need headphones you can plug on the S6. Any models can do the trick.

3. You need to download some apps to do different things on both Oculus menu or S6 Os menu to have full access to any VR movies format and online distribution.

4. I don't remember the apps already installed with the Oculus app menu but once this one is installed you need to download almost all the apps you can get in that menu. Not more than 10 or 12 maybe less. Many apps are not in the Canadian store. The trick is to use an app to change the region when the oculus app start. Same thing when you need to download Vr app on the US google play store. The app is named Hola.

5. Another app you need to use to see other vr video not made for Oculus or not yet supported or well because you don't know which app can read it in the Oculus and want to desactivate the Gear VR session to use only the glasses without the software. The Disable Service app is required $2 CAD. Once installed you can activate or desactivate the Gear VR process by starting the app and check the Gear vr process. (must be in red)

6. So now you are ready to install any VR applications or vr video and see it on the Gear VR. You have many other applications to see different VR movies just google it when you got a new format. You have the app to read it most of the time on Android Google play store.

7. Be sure your chair can do a 360 degree of rotation. The S6 can remotely recharge so just plug a remote charger or plug the charger when required on the usb port. The S6 charge very fast. Very impressive device in fact.

8. You can adjust the headset lens to fit your eyes prescription with the wheel at the top. You can control the menu and different things with the touch pad on the Gear VR . Right eye side and when you turn your head to navigate like a mouse cursor. A Back button is near too. The image quality is still blurry when the objects are in a certain distance or on the side of the lenses. Not perfect but I think many things can make this happen not necessary the lenses.

So far some stuff are really well made and shine on the Gear VR. It is blurry but some games are more sharp than the videos of course and the experience worth it but I can't imagine myself using this all the time. This is not lightweight enough and clear enough to have the motivation to try it again and again. That seems like just an experience not a lifestyle at least for the moment. The freedom of a iPad mini for example is hard to beat. even if it is 2D. Installing something directly on your eyes is not a comfortable experience. We need to find something that fit more naturally our face and eyes. I can see a lot of things we can do with it but many things need to change like mixing/switching to the reality during a game or playback. Forward/backward during a playback. This can be done and maybe done in other softwares but again when you see the reality on a phone cam it is not that great even if they claim the S6 has a good cam quality.

A good Headset gonna cost a lot more than that. Headset at 350$ gonna be the worst for sure and it is what is coming in 2016.

Muscat
08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
It seems they are working on many of those problems and now the Oculus Rift package gonna include headphones and a xbox one controller. Microsoft gonna support the rift. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjp09GmH76w
As you can see the blurry problems can be also because of eye distance (PE). I think the wheel on the Gear vr is for moving the phone back or forth when the slider in the Oculus retail is to move the lenses to go more far or near your nose.
What I understand is you need to use your prescription glasses in the Oculus rift. A bit different and have more sens to me.

Muscat
08-18-2015, 09:24 PM
OK a little update. The PS3 controller has the same button mapping as the Samsung controller so no need for the Ps4 controller. The PS3 controller need to be plugged on the micro usb port on the S6 to work out of the box. That can be tricky at first because you need to plug the controller + adapter to the Gear VR before installing the phone in the gear vr and press the Playstation button after that. The PS4 is not mapped exactly like the PS3 or a standard bluetooth controller. I bought this kit so now I have the adapter. You can connect it directly with the micro usb / usb 3 adaptor but this kit offers a Sd card reader and 3 usb port. I can connect both the PS4 and PS3 controller to test it. Transfert data with a usb key etc.. http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Adapter-Special-Ultrabooks-Smartphones/dp/B00JKALWH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439947416&sr=8-1&keywords=Inateck+USB+3.0+Hub+with+Micro+SD+Card+Re ader

Xbox one or xbox 360 controllers are not working with the S6 out of the box. Better of course not trying to root your device with a custom app to do this. It is possible but that voids your phone's warranty.

Muscat
08-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Another update... Something to think about when you do that. I mean installing a smartphone in front of your eyes. It is not necessary safe... radiation from the phone direct in your face/eyes. Better to switch the phone to airplane mode. I hope that way no microwave are generated. There is another thing also and this gonna be the same for the retail Oculus rift. The blue light. Blue light destroy the back of your eyes slowly. It is true for all monitors but now it is direct in your eyes at a bit more than a inch of distance. There is a confort mode in the Oculus UI you can select to remove a bit of blue light. Is it enough? only time can tell. Also I think the final Oculus rift headset gonna be bluetooth. Bluetooth is some kind of similar radiation just there in your face on that kind of device.

Muscat
08-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Ok MY FINAL WORDS ON THAT IN 2015.
The BAD
- Too expensive for what you get. You need to get a S6 700$ CAD + 250$ for a plastic headset without in built lcd screen and giro.
- Dangerous for the eyes (distorted lens, blue light, etc) and the brain if you forget to switch the cell to airplane mode.
- Almost all if not all vr videos are blurry to a point you not want to waste more time on this.
- The Steam on the lens during short session adds more and more blur and damage to your eyes if you don't clean it all the time. If you use the headset sit down vertical it is possible that the steam/heat not disturb you for a time until the phone shows you a message .. too hot ...need to be closed. If you use the headset and you are horizontal on your bed after less than 2 minutes you right eye is full of steam/mist. Money back please! The headset has a fan on the left but not on the right.
- You see each lcd screen pixel separation because it zoom on the screen. In the standard movie or even in VR VIDEO this effect makes me feel I am looking at a old standard low res TV screen from the '70.

- Fatigue. Because the headset is somewhere heavy and your eyes force all the time to see things correctly.
- about an hour and the battery is drained. You can try to plug the battery charger on the headset but for any reasons it charge very slowly that way and I that can maybe damage the controller if plugged on the same usb chain.
- Other than that the regular complain about not enough games, good video etc.
- The vr movies need to fit the desired resolution of the Gear VR headset/Oculus software if not the picture is distorted and people are stretched in the video. It is possible to use other softwares like mentionned previously but that way the result is not better than the google cardboard viewer.

The GOOD
- This is actually the most advanced headset (because of the phone/software mainly) and you cannot get better than this in 2015.
- The vr is great in games and very immersive. It is more easy for the eyes and the quality is enough to enjoy an old Doom game in virtual 3D at least for an hour. Way better than any vr video you can get right now.
- The headset straps and other construction aspect (other than a missing fan for the right eye of course) seem well made but it is a short time use I cannot talk about the durability of this system. But I don't think if that fall on the floor this gonna protect your phone. Maybe the plastic gonna broke and the glass on the phone too. :D
- Can be used has a standard 2D or 3D Movies viewer in vertical position via Oculus Cinema and in horizontal position (bed) (your eyes looking at the celling) (but with the problems mentionned previously) Note: Any TRUE VR visualisation need to be vertical for the moment.

Both headset and phone returned. Waiting until spring 2016 to see the final product. :D

Muscat
01-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Pre-order for Oculus rift is coming. https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

We need a GTX970 to run the beast and intel i5-4590

Wes
01-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Pre-order for Oculus rift is coming. https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

We need a GTX970 to run the beast and intel i5-4590

awesome! Oculus is the only one I'm interested in.

=A!M=OakWind
01-05-2016, 08:36 PM
I was looking at getting a 970, Newegg had some sub 300$ a month ago when I wasn't ready. Didn't think I would need a new processor also. It's probably for the best, it will be limited on software at first.

Wes
01-06-2016, 12:30 AM
They had the SDK out for years. There are literally thousands of software already running on it. I was so tempted to buy the SDK set 2 generations ago.

=A!M=OakWind
01-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Oh wow, $600. Maybe not.

Wes
01-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Just ordered 1. Will be available in June.

Muscat
11-23-2016, 02:12 PM
I just bought the Sony VR headset with the required dam camera. Let see if it is better than the Gear VR ....
An external processor box is include to bypass the lack of power of the ps4 for the VR. Sony has chosen the path of refresh rate instead of high definition. So the headset run in 120hz which I think is very important when the picture is right on your nose.

My first goal is to try to make it works without a PS4 on a PC. The reason is even if the VR is not gonna work on PC right now we have a good chance this can be used like a full display monitor at 120hz 1920x 1080. If I can play games on PC at this refresh rate without synchronisation this replace any high end monitor for gaming. :D

Muscat
11-23-2016, 02:19 PM
OK I just read this: Returnable within 30 Days - Only if Unopened. I am not gonna do it....:( too bad

Muscat
11-23-2016, 03:03 PM
It seems that amazon don't have that policy. Better ordering it then....

Muscat
11-24-2017, 11:29 PM
More important Infos: The Playstation VR 2 is already released in US (november 17)
It is the PlayStation VR - Skyrim Bundle (you have everything you need in that box) but it is $349.99 instead of $299 for only the old discontinued PSVR Headset they try to sell you everywhere. Be aware.....
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-vr-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-vr-bundle/6131108.p?skuId=6131108

Don't buy any other version. This is the only one not discontinued.

ok here is another one... :D https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-vr-doom-vfr-bundle/6162261.p?skuId=6162261

Muscat
03-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Ok here is my story about the Playstation VR. Amazon shipped me the PSVR and the delivery man left the package in the middle of the hallway. When I come back home the package was not there. End of the PSVR Story perhaps in another life :D
That was in november 2016. Now recently in 2018 I bought a Samsung Odyssey from Microsoft. I cannot compare the good or bad of each unit since I never received the PSVR.
What I read is the screendoor effect is very low in the PSVR compared to any actual VR headsets but the screen resolution and power of the PS4 limit the quality of the graphics.
The playstation VR has the best confort for the head and Samsung has just copied the same design to maintain a good and confortable grip on the head with the Odyssey so...

I think the important things to know in VR today March 2018 is:
The best tracking system is The HTC Vive (first) , Oculus rift with 3 sensors.
Why? Because sensors can track the controllers without light in the room. Other than that Windows mixed reality tracking works nearly as good but you need lights since it is a camera system on your headset looking at the DEL on the controllers.
No headset has a great quality of picture. They use carved lens with pattern to try to hide the screendoor effect and also to force the eye to focus where the image is clear (the center of the screen)
You constantly need to adjust your headset to have your eyes in the sweet spot to have just a passable claustrophobic Gaz mask view of another reality.:D
The controls in game are sometimes refreshing and works for the minimal things you need to do. But sometimes you end in a some kind of demo game you pay 60$ usd for it with a poorly implemented controls. They implement already existing controls libraries used in an old VR demo to a game requiring another better type of controls to be acceptable for the AAA market.

Today you have 2 choices: Waiting for a real good one or buy a Samsung Odyssey which has the same screen resolution (same OLED screen in fact) as the new Vive PRo for Half the price. And you have no sensor and controller with the Vive pro for $900.
But you need a minimum of light in the room to deal with any Windows mixed reality headset. For example: if you play in front of your computer at night without any other light in the room once you turn a bit on a side and go backward the controllers stop to be tracked correctly. I think it requires just a minimum of light so maybe one light in the room behind or over you is enough.
Is it worth it? Yes if you can't wait to see what is next or already there in VR.
Is it time to buy one? Maybe later this year after the release of the Vive pro, The Pimax 5K,8K, The oculus go, the Magic Leap (which can change everything if all they say is true)

So for now: Rift = Best controllers (but very ugly screendoor effect, low rez)
Vive = Best Tracking (but the headset can broke easily with sweat, low rez)
Odyssey = Best of both world on the controller (but the Rift one stay the best for grip and design) , Better screen resolution, reduced screendoor effect and glare. Tracking need a minimum of light, bluetooth adapter required and AA batteries.
Vive Pro = no feedback but same OLED screen as the one in the Odyssey and incoming wireless system with the best tracking you can get. Prepare to pay the big price.
Pimax 5K, 8K = 200 FOV and very high definition which is game changing but Vive said they already try that and for many reasons like eyes strain they are not going there but maybe Pimax found a solution. Let's see. :D
Oculus go = This an integrated Android computer (tablet CPU/GPU) in a headset with the same tracking system you have on the MS Mixed reality headsets (like the Odyssey), not as powerful as the rift but very portable and cheap. $200 USD
PSVR2 = Less screendoor effect, best refresh rate, best games, nice shooting Aim controller with Farpoint bundle (but low rez graphics)
Leap motion headset = This is a new technology for (real) mixed reality. Let's see what they gonna add on the table before buying anything VR related.

Wes
03-24-2018, 08:47 PM
By the way, I JUST ordered a Vive Pro, and also ordered all the parts to create a 2nd gaming computer with the (relatively) good components, for the new Vive Pro. So that I can use 2 Vive (the new Pro and the old Vive) together in a room for some local coop games with my daughter. :)

Muscat
04-04-2018, 12:27 AM
Dammit do you talk about 2 1080 TI in sli ? :D

Wes
04-04-2018, 09:24 AM
No, just one 1080 Ti is already more than enough. It is crazy how fast these new CPU and GPU are. No overclocking already gave me over 9,000 3DMark score. With some basic overclock, with no voltage changes, CPU runs at 5Ghz, and it push the 3DMark score to 10,000. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3552864

Type
Desc
Cost

Vendor

GPU
GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
$1,052.53

EVGA

PSU
EVGA 850W T2 Titanium
$237.17

newegg 3rd party BuyVPC.com

CPU
Intel i7-8700K
$377.90

Amazon

Mobo
EVGA Z370 Classified K
$277.19

newegg

RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 (17 latency) 2x8GB
$379.99

newegg

Case
Rosewill Thor V2
$79.99

newegg $89.99 with $10 rebate card

HD
SanDisk 1TB Ultra 3D NAND SATA III
$276.98

Amazon

CPU Fan
Noctua NH-D15 dual 140mm fans
$89.95

Amazon

Total
$2,771.70

Muscat
04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
I think 2 1080 ti is required for the Pimax 8Kx. We are not yet there since no VR game display at 8K not even 4K. The vive pro has a similar requirement than the first headset. GTX 1070/970 and an old intel i5 with true 4 cores do the job well.
My samsung runs very well at max graphic setting and I don't have the minimum CPU requirement.
Nice built for the incoming VR products

Wes
04-04-2018, 04:29 PM
By the time there is a game (or VR goggle) that require 2 1080 ti, the 1080 Ti will cost just $300. I'll buy a few of them then. :)

Muscat
04-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Little news for those without a headset. Samsung Odyssey drop price now available for only $399 USD. (Bestbuy, Microsoft Store, etc) It is the same OLED screen as the one in the Vive pro. The main difference is the tracking system.

Wes
04-09-2018, 10:17 PM
In VR, the display, well for me, it's not too big a deal. Tracking is off is a BIG BIG deal for me. I get motion sick immediately when the image doesn't correspond to what it suppose to be. So far, only HTC VIVE give me the actual VR feeling. Oculus is close, but still not there. You really need 2 satellites like HTC does to provide pinpoint accuracy on the headset movement.

For anyone who want to start to play VR, I strongly recommend getting the classic HTC VIVE for $499. It comes with 2 satellites beacons and 2 controllers, and the headset, of course. I think it's the best deal for what it comes with. (Each of the beacons cost over $100 each, the controllers also cost about as much for each)

Muscat
04-12-2018, 12:59 AM
No motion sickness with the Samsung Odyssey here... I can't really understand. The tracking is right on track unless you have no light in the room.

But not all games coming from Oculus are 100% working correctly. It is why they release new versions available on the Microsoft Store.
Also almost all the VR apps are in beta stage. When you try games without the Windows mixed reality compatibility on Steam you can end with inversed controllers. :D
That can be fixed with a tool OpenVR-AdvancedSettings-Installer-v2.5 (https://github.com/matzman666/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings/releases) but better waiting than losing time on this. :D
This also works for the HTC VIVE when you have REVIVE installed

Wes
04-12-2018, 08:03 AM
I had REVIVE installed, but I found most games there are quite ... how to describe it... sub-par? The movement and control are targeted for the lower platforms such as Oculus and phone devices. They always minimize the polygon counts and movement as much as possible to avoid lag issue and avoid the need of high processing power need.

I don't even have REVIVE installed in my new gaming computer any more. For most gamers would be quite disappointed knowing the platform that they choose won't have certain games release due to the limited processing power.

For example, a soon-to-be-released game call Beat Saber will not be released for Samsung because the developer thinks mobile VR headset won't be powerful enough. May not be the best example to show why, but I would have been very very disappointed knowing this game won't be available for a platform that I chose. :)

https://youtu.be/RzVMKIHQht0

http://myunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108&stc=1

Muscat
04-17-2018, 01:22 PM
mmm... Samsung Odyssey is NOT a mobile device it is WMR . REVIVE is made for HTC VIVE to be able to play Oculus rift games. But since WMR (Windows mixed reality headset) works almost 100% with all Steam and VIVE products this is working with the Samsung Odyssey very well and you can set the image quality in the config....

Talking about WMR, the Lenovo Explorer is now at $199. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pLhf_piDI
You get better rez than the VIVE for 1/3 the price. ;)

Muscat
04-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Some people really don't like the VIVE pro design. Here is an example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Gx5DV5zFKlU

Wes
04-17-2018, 02:02 PM
There are so many people don't like many different design. That's how internet is.

Either way, mobile device is just a general terms. It just means the lessor power devices.

High accuracy tracking and high action require high processing power and beacons. Standalone devices such as Samsung Odyssey just simply cannot compare with. That's why the heavy duty games only support HTC HIVE and Oculus Rift.

It's not a matter of who is better. It is more of a matter what the game/software company willing to create their software for.

Wes
04-17-2018, 02:08 PM
Talking about WMR, the Lenovo Explorer is now at $199. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4pLhf_piDI
You get better rez than the VIVE for 1/3 the price. ;)

Like I've mention before, resolution is the last in the list for a good VR experience. The accuracy of motion is. On the other hand, for people who can't afford a real VR system like HTC VIVE or Oculus Rift, the $200 Lenovo is a good beginner system to have a taste of VR.

Muscat
04-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Talking about VR.... It is the VR Spring sales on Steam!!!!!
Spring sales on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vrspringsale)
Just bought Payday 2 for $5 CAD/USD (VR DLC is free)
Arizona Sunshine maybe.... $24 CAD $22 USD
Sairent... $24 CAD $22 USD
Superhot $20 CAD
Bridge Crew... $24 CAD $20 USD

Muscat
04-20-2018, 09:48 PM
That depend on what you are doing with the Headset.
Out of the box the tracking of the Oculus rift is way worst than any Windows mixed reality headset.
You need the third sensor to enjoy some better tracking on the Oculus.
If all your are doing is sit on front of your computer screen and play VR with mouse|Keyboard or controllers then any of those VR headset are great.
Almost all games I play in VR don't need more than that and I really don't like the teleportation stuff so xbox controller or mouse / keyboard is way better for me than those complexe beta tracking systems you need to set up all the time before playing.
If you start playing tennis or stuff like that in a big room Windows mixed reality do the job if you have light in the room. Out of the box Oculus gonna suck big time and this not gonna be playable at all. Third sensor and setup required.
But I don't play Tennis or any sport game in VR. What is the point? If I want to do some sport I go outside... way better for me
You can't play an intensive phisical game for long and I don't see me doing that after trying it with a very decent tracking using the Samsung Odyssey.
I play games for hours and a 15 min game session is no more my cup of tea :D

Muscat
04-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Good news for me the HTC VIVE tracking works with the Samsung Odyssey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDHuEkvqZc
But of course I need to buy HTC VIVE sensors and controllers :D Probably that cost more than getting all the kit with the headset...

I'm gonna wait for the next iteration of the HTC VIVE tracking to buy it.

Wes
04-21-2018, 11:06 PM
A quick test of my green screen. :) Need to get a better webcam capture me. https://youtu.be/X9UuCUxxutY

Muscat
04-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Cool! You have a dedicated room with green walls?

Pimax 8K not gonna ship the M1 version this month maybe not soon :D They keep pushing the release date over and over. Exactly what I thought. Pretty sure they not gonna find a way to prevent eyes strain.

Wes
04-24-2018, 09:26 PM
It is just my bedroom/home office/VR room. I have to move all the stuff away whenever I want to play VR. Quite a bit of work especially when I want to have the green screens up.

http://myunreal.com/Other/VR/Room.jpg

http://myunreal.com/Other/VR/Room2.jpg

Muscat
05-11-2018, 07:59 PM
Craaaaaaazy!! I am lucky my setup is not in my bedroom but in the living room with my desk and computer. I have a vocal booth in my bedroom and a standard queen metal bed structure I don't want to mess with..

I think the next big thing is the incoming Oculus 2 or Project Santa Cruz because the Oculus Go is already better for the quality of the display than the HTC VIVE PRO and Samsung Odyssey. They just need to make a good tracking wireless system which I am pretty sure they already done. This is gonna be the next big announcement in the VR headset world. Maybe this is gonna blow away the Pimax 8K too at a lower resolution

Muscat
09-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Oculus Quest launching in early 2019 https://www.oculus.com/

Pimax 5K+, 8K available somewhere before christmas for non backers