PDA

View Full Version : LP to CD

lilith
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
That had a bunch of those machines for sale last year around Christmas time that you could convert your records to CD. They were at all the mall stores like JC Penny and Bed & Bath. I checked online to see how good they were, but all I could find were complaints about the quality.

I was kind of hoping they would have improved the technology in a year, but now all I can find are really high priced systems. Does anyone have any idea the best way to do this, transfer records to CD's? (whatever digital format is the best.) Or, am I better off just buying a turntable and using audacity? (or if there's a better software)

TIA :)

Radiation Burns
12-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I would get a good linear tracking turntable and use Audacity. Then you will be able to use it with your home stereo system. :) Vinyl is warmer sounding than digital imho, so you can enjoy the sound at home with a nice bottle of wine :cool:

lilith
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks RB! It does make sense to get a good record player instead of one that looks good! Especially now that they come with USB connections. The ones with the CD recorder right in them just seem like a waste of a good CD. You'd have to record to your CD, then edit in your computer to get rid of the snap, crackle, pops! :p

Radiation Burns
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
The new turntable will pay off also as vinyl may be making a comeback due to the quality of the sound... http://www.mrc.org/timeswatch/articles/2009/20091208120732.aspx

Dr. Death
12-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Bah. It's the old tubes vs. transistors argument again, raised by a bunch of OFs whose ears are conditioned to the distortions that occur as the stylus stretches the vinyl groove out of shape. It's just not true fidelity, it sounds like crap, and your investment in media is guaranteed to deteriorate over time (unless they invent a laser tracking pickup that doesn't ruin the media....oh wait, they have that...it's called....a CD player.)

Wes
12-14-2009, 03:26 AM
lol. actually CD is still digital. The LD is what you mean. Many of those LD have both digital and analog tracks on them.

Dr. Death
12-14-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm referring strictly to the attributes of vinyl as a medium for storage and playback. I'm not talking about the relative merits of analog vs. digital recording. Vinyl is an imperfect medium. It warps, distorts, picks up dust, scratches, and the like. The stylus has mass and cannot faithfully track the grooves in the vinyl without stretching them out of shape as it plays them. The grooves return to their original shape to a great extent, but not completely. Each playing degrades the disc, no matter how careful you are with cleaning, handling, and storage. The pickup generates a very low-level signal, which is prone to noise, hum and crosstalk. The turntable mechanism is a source of low frequency rumble and distortion, as its mass vibrates and rotates eccentrically.

Anyone who says it's better is a hopeless romantic who has conveniently forgotten why we dumped it and went to other media formats in the first place.

Now, digitizing an analog signal has its drawbacks, as does reproducing that digitized signal faithfully. (That's why my stereo CD changer has dual D/A converters.) But most recording studios are digital now anyway. I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a pure AAA recording these days.