PDA

View Full Version : AM interference on Surround

Ninjahedge
12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey guys,

I have tried this on other sites with no response, and doing Googles only produces HOW to get AM radio or other slightly off solutions that just do not fit.

Simply put, I have strung the speaker wire through the ceiling now, and for some reason I am getting a STRONG AM radio reception (ESPN 1050) on thr right rear speaker. The other surrounds also get this, but not as much as the RR.

I have tried ferrite cores on the speakerwire, and also on the signal wires for the subwoofers (unplugging one SW semed to help a BIT, but tonight it does not seem to be doing anything).

How can I remedy this? Is there some way to get something that will block low level line noise? I tried hooking up more wire (the theory that wire length can get AM reception) but that did not work.

I am at wits end.

Any suggestions?

shifty
12-11-2009, 01:12 AM
I plugged my stereo into an ISOBar and it eliminated noise from the AM jesus station about 3 blocks away.

Dr. Death
12-11-2009, 01:20 AM
First of all make sure it IS the speaker wire. Short out the speaker leads (make sure your amp is protected against shorts before doing this) and see if the sound goes away or is attenuated.

If the sound is still there then it's getting picked up in the speaker wire. If it goes away, then it's coming through the amp somewhere and cores on the speaker wires are not going to fix it.

(For you to affect the signals by varying the wire length, you would have had to make the speaker wire 143 meters long, or 469 feet. That's assuming the speaker wire is even the antenna.)

Ninjahedge
12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Would it matter for the total length of wire in the system? I know you need a certain length to get a resonance in the line, but if ALL the wires connected could establish a standing wave.........?

Shift, when you say Isobar, what MFR are you talking about? I have a few leftover Monster "power center"s... dont know if they do much (except ground out the coax, eliminating some annoying banding I had on the TV.....)

Any links guys? (PS, THANKS!!!!!)

Ninjahedge
12-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Shift, were you talking about anything here?
http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=74&EID=&style=1

Or more like something like this:
http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-tlp810sat~7TRPS00Y.htm

shifty
12-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, the first link. Even though we are in a newly constructed house, we are getting bombarded, I assume through the ground line, and if any device with speakers is 'ON', you can ever so clearly but faintly hear the stupid WYZE Atlanta jesus-station through all speakers in the house. I feel bad for neighbors across the street from the station, because they get flat-out bombarded, especially on Sundays when they really crank up the juice. I've been meaning to call the FCC about them for some time. I would really love to get them shut down. I don't think any radio station has business being anywhere near as close to a neighborhood running that 'hot' with their signals.

We installed an ISOBar on the affected system (my computer), and the noise stopped. I dunno about surround sound stuff. We don't watch a lot of TV on sunday.