PDA

View Full Version : Buy before or after Christmas?

Cerwin_Vega
12-17-2009, 07:00 PM
So my wife wants a Dell Studio 15 and for the current price the spec.s don't look half bad. Do you think the prices will be better after Christmas or should I go ahead and get it for her? Or are there other better deals on laptops with similiar spec.s?

shifty
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
My neighbor has the Studio 15 and likes it. I would get it with Windows 7.

I also like the Vostro models. I would just avoid Inspiron. Also, get the 3yr warranty.

Cerwin_Vega
12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
No Inspirion huh? The spec.s are identical to the lower end Studio I was looking at. Haven't looked at the Vostro models but will. She mostly will use it to surf the web and use Office app.s.

shifty
12-19-2009, 12:48 AM
Vostro = really solid business low-end
Latitude = really solid business high-end

The studio series is more like ... graphics/multimedia
Inspiron is home multimedia craptastic nonsense.

Ninjahedge
12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Which would be the Dell barebones you could install your wn card/drivers on and get more for the money?

shifty
12-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Such a thing doesn't exist in laptops.

Dr. Death
12-20-2009, 01:00 AM
About the only thing you can do (which I did) is to get the largest amount of RAM that you can ON ONE MODULE from the mfr, then buy a second, cheaper module from newegg. However a lot of MFRs don't tell you the module configuration of the RAM when you buy it.

You could also upgrade the hard drive with a larger one or a second one. However that's not really worth it. To replace the hard drive you wind up with the original one gathering dust, and a second drive just eats battery power.

You could also not buy the MFR's bluetooth or wireless adapter, and get an ExpressCard upgrade after you purchase it. But again, I don't think the card will be any cheaper than the original component from the MFR. Your best bet is to "upgrade" your unit with a nice wireless mouse, a higher-res monitor, an e-sata backup drive, or a nice case.