PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - 64bit or 32 bit?

Slayer
12-23-2009, 05:07 PM
My Dad had a spare copy of Windows 7 upgrade laying around that I got from him. Supposedly I can load either 32bit or 64 bit. What is everyone else running right now?

I tried Vista 64 bit when I built my new rig in the spring of '08 and had alot of driver issues with my printer, webcam, etc.

Cerwin_Vega
12-23-2009, 06:17 PM
My Dad had a spare copy of Windows 7 upgrade laying around that I got from him. Supposedly I can load either 32bit or 64 bit. What is everyone else running right now?

I tried Vista 64 bit when I built my new rig in the spring of '08 and had alot of driver issues with my printer, webcam, etc.

I'm still running 7 Ultimate 64bit RC! I won't run anything else. No driver problems at all with anything I've used with the exception of my DVD player when I first installed it.... 9..10 months ago. I forget... O SNAP! I'm running out of trial time. :eek:

shifty
12-23-2009, 09:27 PM
there is no reason to use a 32bit OS anymore. Driver issues are a thing of the past. Most rootkits and virii are not 64-bit compatible. Use 64-bit of you can.

I've used both. First driver problem I hAD was this week when setting up an archaic AMD X2 3600+ Shuttle SK22G2 system this past week. The VIA-based Chrome9 video chipset has BSODs using the Windows qualified driver. But it isn't installed by default, it comes as an update so you can avoid it. But to be fair the same chipset causes video corruption in all flavors of Linux except Ubuntu using stock driver. In Fedora, you get vertical lines looking like a barcode. You can't see anything.

shifty
12-23-2009, 09:30 PM
PS

You can only upgrade to W7 64-bit if you have a 64-bit version of Windows installed. My dad had this problem. He got the upgrade disc. I told him to choose 64-bit W7 on upgrade; it refused to let him.

So install XP 64-bit prior to upgrade (or Vista 64) if you want 64-bit W7

Dr. Death
12-24-2009, 07:38 PM
The VIA-based Chrome9 video chipset ...

VIA == http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/Smileys/default/crap.gif