PDA

View Full Version : What antivirus do you use?

Cerwin_Vega
01-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm using Avira AntiVir but I'm getting real tired of the pop up.

What do you guys use?

shifty
01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Antivir, hands down. It works so incredibly well that I purchased 100 licenses and renew them yearly for all of the servers and workstations in our office.

There are ways to make the popup go away (adjusting execution permissions of the executable that creates the popup).

I'll never understand the popup annoyance. Just hit the spacebar and it goes away.

Zaphod
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Personally, I got tired of all the free AVs and ended up purchasing NOD32 (eset.com). I haven't looked back since. It sits there and keeps its mouth shut unless there really is something to alert me about and it is nice and light and fast. I never notice it being in the way in any way, shape, or form. That said though, I have been hearing very good things about Vipre AV (vipreantivirus.com). I'll probably try Vipre on a different computer the next time I have to purchase an AV, but I really have been happy with NOD32.

BTW, I haven't tried Avira in a while, but you used to be able to get rid of the pop-up. IIRC you had to change the permissions on one of the Avira files so the pop-up wouldn't run or something like that, google can help there if you just want to try something like that.

dragonash
01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I'm using Avira AntiVir but I'm getting real tired of the pop up.

What do you guys use?

hit google

there is a popup "fix"

dragonash
01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I'll never understand the popup annoyance. Just hit the spacebar and it goes away.

it has the tendency to minimize games. So you can imagine the annoyance factor at crucial moments :)

shifty
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I see what you mean - but mine only tries to update right when I connect to the internet, and doesn't try updating any other time.

dragonash
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I see what you mean - but mine only tries to update right when I connect to the internet, and doesn't try updating any other time.

maybe we are thinking of 2 different popups?

The free version pops up an ad. I think thats what everyone is talking about.

The small update popup on the bottom right is never an issue for anyone and doesn't interfere in games.

Radiation Burns
01-05-2010, 12:51 PM
The free version of Avira antivir, I just close the ad pop before starting any games.

=A!M=OakWind
01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Mine pops up about 8PM every night, a guaranteed game stopper. Haven't bothered disabling it yet.

shifty
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Ok, so let me clarify.

From what I have experienced, the popup ONLY occurs when a successful update has been made.

So, if yours pops up at 8PM every night, I would go into the console and see if you have an automatically shceduled update at that time. If so, change it to 8am or something. When you open up the console, click the Administration section and look in the Scheduler. It should list the update. If needed, you can delete the existing one and insert a new one.

This is what I did - and being that I usually get on my computer only at night, it runs 24 hours after the last update. No problems.

dragonash
01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Ok, so let me clarify.

From what I have experienced, the popup ONLY occurs when a successful update has been made.

So, if yours pops up at 8PM every night, I would go into the console and see if you have an automatically shceduled update at that time. If so, change it to 8am or something. When you open up the console, click the Administration section and look in the Scheduler. It should list the update. If needed, you can delete the existing one and insert a new one.

This is what I did - and being that I usually get on my computer only at night, it runs 24 hours after the last update. No problems.

Shifty- if you bought Avira, you wont get the popup ad.

The FREE version will produce a pop up ad (web browser based) every now and then unless the permissions for a certain exe file are taken away.

This has nothing to do with the updating.

=A!M=OakWind
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
My pop-up happens at update, which is once a day.

I searched for the option to change the time before and gave up on it. Just found the option under Administration (as shifty said). But I had to delete the update task and recreate it to change the scheduled time.

Ninjahedge
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
The update only has one setting. Update every 24 hours, and you can't set when (Mine says "Last update 22:24:16" and shows the same time with the next date on it as the scheduled next update.)

shift, you may have gotten a special version somehow, or it just likes you more.

=A!M=OakWind
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Delete the task and recreate it, like I just posted. :)

Bald_Yew
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I just manually update before I game.

Cerwin_Vega
01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll probably just go ahead and purchase a license for my wife, mom, and myself. I think it's worth it as well trusted as it is. Thanks for the responses.

Cerwin_Vega
01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
hit google

there is a popup "fix"

Sweet. In disabling the pop up temporarily I found out how to allow Rivatuner to start up without having to click allow every time. :D

shifty
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Shifty- if you bought Avira, you wont get the popup ad.

The FREE version will produce a pop up ad (web browser based) every now and then unless the permissions for a certain exe file are taken away.

This has nothing to do with the updating.

Jeez, dude. I use free at home. I only have paid version at work. Do you really think the guy who helps everyone with everything would just blatantly talk out of his ass? Did you even bother to look at your Avira control panel?

Friggin' Italians, I swear! ;)

dragonash
01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Jeez, dude. I use free at home. I only have paid version at work. Do you really think the guy who helps everyone with everything would just blatantly talk out of his ass? Did you even bother to look at your Avira control panel?

Friggin' Italians, I swear! ;)

i figured you only used the full version lol

shifty
01-06-2010, 08:38 PM

How would I know about the popup if I used the full version? ;)

Ninjahedge
01-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Because he told you?

:confused:

shifty
01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Your mom told me.

Seriously, though. I mentioned the knowledge of the popup in the first response to the thread. Just sayin'.

dragonash
01-07-2010, 01:08 PM
How would I know about the popup if I used the full version? ;)

sounded like you were talking about the update popup lol :D

shifty - read posts 1 through 6. We were talking about the ad popup, then you started talking about the update popup.
So some wires got crossed ;p

Ninjahedge
01-07-2010, 04:07 PM
And something popped up.

shifty
01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
you started talking about the update popup.
So some wires got crossed ;p

In my brain.

"Update popup". The only popup I get during update *is* the advertisement popup. I guess this is where the confusion came in?

Dr. Death
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
It appears that if you go in and set the schedule for updates, it will affect the time that the popup appears. It used to pop on mine at 11:00 PM. I went in and played with it, and now it pops at 5:30 PM. So I must have been messing with it at around 5:30.

You may be able to use this to advantage, if you can get it to appear at a time when you are usually not gaming.

=A!M=OakWind
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Or you could delete the task and recreate it with a specific time...

:)

shifty
01-10-2010, 10:37 PM
What he said ^^

Dr. Death
01-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Oh cool. I was trying to edit it and I couldn't set the execution time, just the interval.