X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wes View Post
    Try now, shifty

Just delete files. Including the Windows directory. Can't boot anymore. It's on a 2U rack mount server with SCSI drives running RAID 5. I believe it is possible to recover some of the files if we manage to get an OS up without overwriting too much space on it.

wes i just had a 200gb hard drive recovered (for $300) from a very professional company (compared to a couple others i tried before) called "lowcostrecovery" http://www.lowcostrecovery.com/
    i had tons of old audio files on it that i could not replace, got back 95% of everything from physically damaged drive, so highly recommended... maybe theres hope, i could even donate a couple dollars to recovery effort if needed.

when that happened to my forum, i was gonna try recovery but i found out they actually zeroed out the databases on me so there was nothing to recover in my case - hopefully theres something there, thats 10 years of forum!
    Last edited by UnrealGrrl; 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM.
    Sioux
    UnrealGrrl.Com

Comment

Try now, shifty
      It is good.

Just delete files. Including the Windows directory. Can't boot anymore. It's on a 2U rack mount server with SCSI drives running RAID 5. I believe it is possible to recover some of the files if we manage to get an OS up without overwriting too much space on it.
      Two options:
      - Boot from USB drive that has OS with file recovery utility
      - Install another hard drive and install OS to that drive while ignoring other drive

In either case, use the OS on other partition and recover the files; this way you do not affect the actual data integrity of the RAID5.

I have some tools like GetDataBack, which should work; but I won't be around a computer to help after 6pm today (until next week some time)
      Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
      Originally posted by Ranshackle
      I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

I think booting from USB drive would be the easiest way to go. However, I did have trouble getting those Dell rack mount server to work with with USB drive as the primary drive.

Comment

yes, i agree. the easy way to do this is to attach system to a monitor, hit F12 at boot time, and tell it to boot from USB device directly. if you try to boot any other way, you will have problems.

also, it will be a slow process to scan the drive. but when you consider the value of almost 10 years of posting at MyUnreal...that is a TON of data to lose.

Comment

Ok, forum style is mostly back to normal. some settings may still be slightly off. i must walk away from the computer for a few days now ....

Comment

Originally posted by shifty View Post
              Ok, forum style is mostly back to normal. some settings may still be slightly off. i must walk away from the computer for a few days now ....
              Thanks Shifty and Wes!

Just let us know if you need anything Wes, we got your back!
              "Irony is asking the government to fix the problems it caused!"

"The lesser of two evils is still evil!"

Obama: Affirmative action at its best!

Comment

Absolutely!

Comment

Good job Shifty!

OH! and more smiley faces!
                  Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason

Comment

Slayer just told me of the BS these guys pulled. What a bunch of bastards. I hope there isn't too much damage there Wes. If you do try to recover those hard drives I'm willing to donate as well to help get our... "lives" back.

Comment

what a shame.. i've been posting on this forum for 9 years now. hope you guys are able to restore something. if not, thanks for the work you're having to put in anyways. if i can do anything to help, please let me know. i just lost my job & will have some free time on my hands...which means i'm also willing to take a trip to cut the balls off the person who did this.. and ppl think cheating in a game is bad

Comment

I think we need to balance out this bad incident with something good like another MyU LAN!

Comment

Heh. Invite the hackers, we will treat them really nice.........

I also remembered how I kept little tidbits, like 5150's Guitar advice (and some tabs) on here....

It is rough when you think that the website is just a part of your life and will always be there. You don't even do it conciously.....

9 years for me here.....

Comment

Originally posted by shifty View Post
                            Wow! That is a drastic measure! I hope everyone signs back up for their accounts!

Maybe this is a good time to hijack the username "Ninjahedge"

So, all those achived messages gone, eh? Man, so many things to recreate now
                            Originally posted by tensux View Post
                            im going to register the name duke, lol
                            Originally posted by dragonash View Post
                            I call dibs on kicker!!
                            Okay, if Ninjahedge is really shifty, and duke is really tensux and kicker is really dragonash.... OMG! My brain hurts!!
                            Ha-Ha! Made Ya Read!

Comment

Hey Wes, this is so great you were able to get the sight back up and running!

A few ppl mentioned they would help. Maybe we could chip in for a new server. I don't have a lot of money, but I could chip in a little... If everyone sent what they could, even if it's only like $10 or something, it would help, wouldn't it? 40 people, $10 each, = $400 dollars = new server, right?!?!?!?

Can you put the PayPal thing back up?

Alternately, you could set up a PO Box and we could all send you our old computer parts so you could build one!!! I'd bet collectively we could send supplies for one KILLER server!!!
                              (I would have said that will knock your sox off, but I know how dangerous it is to leave old sox lying around here... LOL)
                              Last edited by lilith; 03-12-2009, 10:01 AM.
                              Ha-Ha! Made Ya Read!

Comment

$400 new server? Recession is not that bad in the States
                                Wales, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
                                Incoming fire has right of way

Comment

Working...
                                X