D-link worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-link worth it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-127-215&nm_mc=EMCWL-042011&cm_mmc=EMCWL-042011-_-index-_-Item-_-33-127-215

Just got a "wishlist" alert......

Um, sale price today is $65.....

Again, worth it for the D?

Comment

If you need a router I suppose it is...gigabit wired ports and N wireless are Good Things(tm)

D-Link wasn't exactly on my list of "approved manufacturers" when I got mine though, but times may have changed...
      National Sarcasm Society
      "Like we need your support."

Comment

Would not buy. Not dual band. Its big sister, the DIR-855, is dual band. You can find a better router that's dual band for cheaper, from a name I actually appreciate (I'm in DD's camp RE: D-Link products).
        Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
        Originally posted by Ranshackle
        I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

K, as posted in the original wireless thread, both routers (the 655 and the 855) are on sale, the 855 being $115....

Would it be worth grabbing either for those prices? 2 votes "nah" for the 655.....

Netgear?
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326&cm_re=wireless_n _dual_band-_-33-122-326-_-Product

Linksys? E-2000 Edit - E-3000 (the 2000 is what I originally clicked, my bad)
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124388&cm_re=wireless_n _dual_band-_-33-124-388-_-Product
          WRT320N
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124332&cm_re=wireless_n _dual_band_router-_-33-124-332-_-Product

Thanks for the info guys... It all helps.
          Last edited by Ninjahedge; 04-27-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

you linked the E3000.

i have the E2000. i like it, BUT as indicated in the prior thread, it can't do simultaneous dual-band (it's hardware switchable), which is the one major downfall of the unit ... i'm having to use two WAPs in my house to overcome that.

the E3000 *does* do simultaneous dual-band, so that pretty much kills my major gripe.

i personally wouldn't buy any of the new WRT3xx series routers. Not a fan.

Comment

FYI $128 for the E-3000

$129 for the WNDR3700

Re-stating:

$115 for the D-855......

Comment

I would pay the extra 10% for the Cisco name, support and reputation, personally. The fact I have an e2000 at home that's working great is enough to make me buy an e3000. I would probably try and get it refurb from Cisco though. Usually takes about half the cost off.

Comment

Gotcha, will check on it now.....

Comment

As I siad I have the WNDR3700 and it is great. I havent had to reboot it since I set it up, 4 months ago?

Comment

E3000 129.99 at the Egg ATM
                      When you girls are done kissing, I've got some asskicking for you!

Comment

OK, I just got the E2000 and E3000 refurb for $145 total.

I will set up the 3000 as the main and the 2000 as the HTPC hub. I will then take the 54G and put that in the front porch as a hub for a second HT setup (probably WD) for Jr's stuff.

I will be on here yelling and screaming for help shortly.

Comment

K.... I did not get the chance to hook them up last night, but just a question....

DD-WRT for these guys? Should I flash them from the get-go and try it out or stick with the latest from Cisco?

Comment

I had a bit of a bear flashing the E2000, not sure why. I would use it with the Cisco firmware, and if it works for you .... then, great.

You've pretty much proven that you + custom = oil + vinegar.

Comment

I know shift, no need to remind me.

I am not THAT bad with customization, I just seem to get weird combos when I do (Is it my fault when I flash my router word for word as instructed and it shuts down on me every 5 minutes?)

The one thing that seems to be a concern would be range, however. I think I am getting a lot of noise in the house from the old wiring. Signals have trouble getting 60' through one floor so I was concerned with the possible need of boosting the signal a bit.....

If Cisco has no real problems with its setup, then there might be no real reason to try and do something differently, but I was just asking......

Comment

Working...
                              X