Virus attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus attack

Wow! Got to a website from searching a Canon webcam model number. Clicked on one of the top 3 search result page and my browser warned about the site was reported with virus or something and warned me to go away. Before I close the browser, my antivirus software popped up a msg and quickly disappeared. Right after, my computer seemed to be closing down my apps and rebooting the computer. I quickly open up my taskmgr and saw a few single character tasks running. I quickly killed them and did a full scan and hijackthis and couldn't find anything.

Rebooted into Win 7 and downloaded AVG full version free-trial and it didn't find anything.

Rebooted back to my XP and do a full scan and found this in my TEMP folder:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...102310-3513-99
    Last edited by Wes; 04-07-2009, 02:18 AM.

I've had 2 similar attacks in the past month from sites I thought were safe during typical browsing.

:/
    When you girls are done kissing, I've got some asskicking for you!

Comment

Which browser were you guys using?

Comment

I was either using Google Chrome and Firefox. I think when I hit the site, it was Firefox that alerted me the site was bad.

Comment

Firefox on 1 and Explorer on the other.

Comment

I've had the same thing happen with firefox. "Reported attack site."

But antivir has blocked access everytime.

Comment

They REALLY need to REDUCE the things that your web browser can do.

The more "advanced" they make it, the more crap can be done w/o your consent. You wuold think they could maybe make the "Internet Bubble" and create almost a sealed zone (permission wise) around the browser you use and require maybe seperate instances of any associated software to be installed and running from within that bubble....

Kind of like a quarantine zone.

The only problem is that they keep wanting to make the internet more interactive, an dthe more interactive it gets, the more like it is just another large HD attached to your comp......

Comment

I suspect if you would have had AntiVir installed, not only would it have found the virus AFTER the fact, but it also would have stopped the attack while it was trying to execute in the first place.

It's all about using the correct tool for the job.
                Originally posted by Ranshackle
                I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

Had Avira installed and running on both. It detected the malicious code from the site on the Firefox machine and stopped it, but not the one on the IE box.

Comment

That's creepy. Did it detect it on the IE box post-infection?
                    Originally posted by Ranshackle
                    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

NoScript is an excellent firefox add-on, albeit a pain sometimes, but keeps things much safer. I wonder if it would prevent that sort of attack

not that it helps you now but i the future
                      http://www.alexandriaanimals.org
                      =(eGO)= DNice77
                      chapel

Comment

Just installed AntiVir and found another one.

Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Agent.caaj.B [trojan]'
                        detected in file 'C:\WINDOWS\uojgw.rfd.

Comment

But uojgw.rfd is an important program!!!!!!

Comment

One more:

The file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\f_007a17'
                            contained a virus or unwanted program 'EXP/SWF.ED' [exploit]
                            Action(s) taken:
                            The file was moved to '4a0baf27.qua'!

Comment

Ya Shifty, Avira found the file after infection and I promptly ran complete scans with Avira, Superantispyware, and Spybot S&D.

Comment

Working...
                              X