No "cable" TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably was outdated info.
    I didnt think stuff from May was THAT bad, but I guess it has gone through quite a few updates since then.

I had read that a lot of the phone adapters, while stating 700ma, could not hold it continuously and this caused slow down.

I also watched youtube vids of video playback and installation. Thats what got me interested. I got deterred from the power "issues" (and i use the word loosely based on your testimony)

Arent there 2 versions of the Rpi?
    I guess I would want the beefier one for full HD streaming?

Comment

2 version of R-Pi. $25 and $35. Only the $35 version is available. You won't want to use the $25 version, it's more geared towards educational/budget stuff. The $35 version is more geared towards geek/tech/starup/etc.
      Originally posted by Ranshackle
      I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

just ordered it.
        hopefully my old HTC thunderbolt charger works with it.

The charger they offer for the R-Pi seems to have the same specs.
        htc charger -
        input: 100-240V ~ 200mA 50-60Hz
        Output: 5V - 1A

(was never too well versed with volts and amps and stuff)

http://www.newark.com/emerson-networ...cessories_None

Comment

Cases here:

http://www.element14.com/community/m...-model-b-cases

Look about 4 posts down for the "North America" links.

$7.50 I think?

Comment

eh... i might just put on double sided tape and slap it on the back of my TV lol

i wonder if my TV usb outputs enough to power it...
            Both are usb 2.0, but one is for service.

I wonder if the service one has the power needed. I'm still hunting down for the spec manual

Comment

Main page has the link to it.

I think they said standard USB can power it...

Comment

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

"Micro USB power supply – make sure you use a good quality one, capable of providing at least 700mA at 5V. Do not attempt to power your Raspberry Pi by plugging it into a computer or a hub."

Comment

The first thing I powered up mine with was an iPhone charger. Fail - had weird issues on boot where it wouldn't get an IP. I then slapped it on the USB port of my Dell E-series Latitude dock and it came up fine. Ran it at work for days playing music with no problems that way, then brought it home using a BlackBerry-branded charger, moved to my entertainment center which had a Moto/Droid charger wall-wart and it still works fine.

So, yeah, there may be some issues.... it worked with the USB port on my docking station (not direct to the laptop, but how different, really?) so ... dunno. Grain of salt, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by shifty View Post
                    The first thing I powered up mine with was an iPhone charger. Fail - had weird issues on boot where it wouldn't get an IP. I then slapped it on the USB port of my Dell E-series Latitude dock and it came up fine. Ran it at work for days playing music with no problems that way, then brought it home using a BlackBerry-branded charger, moved to my entertainment center which had a Moto/Droid charger wall-wart and it still works fine.

So, yeah, there may be some issues.... it worked with the USB port on my docking station (not direct to the laptop, but how different, really?) so ... dunno. Grain of salt, my friend.
                    well, then you can see my confusion since the website itself says something else.
                    Oh well, only one way to find out!

And I bought a 32 gig sdxc flash card a month or so ago. I hope it can somewhat take advantage of those speeds!

Comment

I've been reading that it has problems with a few video formats. My WD media player has the same problem, although it is an older version and the newer versions have more processing power. Both the WD and RaspberryPi seem to have problems with large MKV files.

http://www.memetic.org/raspberry-pi-xbmc-and-dts-audio/
                      When I came to try some content nothing would play smoothly at 1080p and only about half of the 720p content I tried would play smoothly. It turns out that the ARM CPU just doesn’t have enough grunt to decode the DTS audio found on almost all 1080p and most 720p content. Almost XviD content I tried played fine, one or two had some hiccuping and one or two just refused to play, I think this is probably related to the encoding features used.
                      ^Also contains some OC'ing info^

For $35 it's still the better alternative.

And, since I already have it pulled up I'll post the processor comparison for kicks:

RaspberryPi:
                      -CPU – 700MHz
                      -GPU – 250MHz

WD TV (1st Gen):
                      -CPU - 300 MHz

WD TV (2nd Gen):
                      -CPU - 500 MHz CPU

WD TV Mini:
                      -CPU - 2.0 or 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2

WD TV Live (1st gen), WD TV Live Plus, and WD TV Live Hub:
                      -CPU - 500 MHz CPU
                      -CPU - 333 MHz
                      -DSP - 333 MHz

WD TV Live Streaming:
                      -CPU - 700mhz
                      Last edited by =A!M=OakWind; 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Shifty - can you confirm since you have one?

Mine is on backorder

Comment

Confirm what? I have four. I'm not even using two, they're just in the office for coworkers to tinker with, since it's industry-related.

Comment

confirm what oak said about mvk files in 720 and 1080p formats.
                            Does the R-Pi struggle with it?

Comment

I've never experienced that problem, but with a quick cursory search, there's been a solution around for a little while now, it seems: http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/43...ng-passthrough

Comment

FYI- all future model B's will now have 512 ram.

All orders on backorder (i believe) will be getting the upgrade.

Price stays the same
                                http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2180

Comment

Working...
                                X