Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saboteur
    replied
    k - I did register the card but I didn't upload the invoice. I'll get that done tonight!

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    I think EVGA gives you 90 days to do ONE upgrade. So, you may want to wait 2 months and see what else they have for you to upgrade to. Maybe paying just $10 to get a 1070.

Just need to make sure you register your EVGA card within a week and upload the invoice.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    Oooohhh... Will look into that right away!

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    Sab, you are in luck. EVGA has the 1080 as a step up now, well, if you want to go up to 1080. Cost $610. So, you just need to pay the differences.

Since I bought my 980ti 2 months ago, I can exchange for the 1080 for free. The 980ti classify I have actually costed $70 more than the 1080 ACX.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    Dang it - ah well.

UT4 is the primary game I'm playing but I'll probably be giving Doom a shot too.

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    Aww

Leave a comment:

• =A!M=OakWind
    replied
    Aww, too late. But the 1070 is $370 for the Founders Edition. Releasing on June 10. The custom 1080's are cheaper than the FE's, I'd guess that that will be the same for the 1070's.

EDIT: The 1070 FE is $450, and the customs start at $379.
    Last edited by =A!M=OakWind; 06-12-2016, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    nice!!

Any games you mind you will be playing? Or just a general computer upgrade for normal use?

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    Systems have been ordered.

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    Yea, 1080 should cost about what current 980 cost, about $600.

For performance between yours and Paco's, just compare their clock rates. Yours is FTW and has higher clock rate and a little bit faster. ACX models have excellent fans. Should last a long time even at high speed. Great for overclocking. I like the EVGA brand myself.

Last edited by Wes; 05-25-2016, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    Wes, the GTX 970 I spec'd for my build is $320. Where do you think the 1080 will be, price-wise? (I see it will be around $600. Yikes, but if I spread that out over a year, that's an extra $50/month. Yikes again). Man... if I get that, it will be 40% of the cost of the build... plus I'd need to get a new monitor to justify having that card... oy.

Also, Paco and I have picked different cards but they're around the same cost - any thoughts on if one is better than the other?
    Last edited by Saboteur; 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    I didn't aware the link earlier. lol. I only looked at the components you posted.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    I just realized that I accidentally used the link for Paco's system twice, so both links above were the same.

I've fixed that now.

Leave a comment:

• Wes
    replied
    Both setups look great. Regarding the Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, see if you can use a few SSD drive instead. Making the system much cooler and more quiet. My current system have a 250G C Drive and another 250GB just for games as my F Drive. All my files are not stored on the local computer thought, since I have a NAS.

For the GTX 1080, it will cost about the same as the 980, but use less power and 50% faster. If you could swing it, it is way worth it. Just a consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Saboteur
    replied
    So Paco and I have been playing around on PC Part Picker and this is the build we've put together for me. I will pull the DVD drive from my current rig and use my existing monitor for now. If I want higher rez or whatever I can upgrade later.

Sab's build (fixed!)
    Intel i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Quad Core
    MSI Z170-A Pro ATX LGA1151 mobo
    16 GB RAM (G.Skill DDR4-2400)
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
    EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 video card
    Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

And here is Paco's current build on the same site:
    Paco's build
    Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
    Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card
    Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
    EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Any thoughts on these builds? We are probably looking to pull the trigger on these within the next week or so, because we are hoping that when the GeForce GTX 1080 comes out, prices of other cards will start to drop. (There are some other discounts that are going to run out though too so we may want to buy them sooner.)
    Last edited by Saboteur; 05-24-2016, 03:41 PM. Reason: Fix the link for Sab's build

Leave a comment:

Working...
X