No announcement yet.

Outlook meeting forward notification ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook meeting forward notification ?

Since I am not at the executive level in my company I am not eligible for a company Blackberry (cell phone only) so for the past couple of years I have had a redirect in place that sent my emails to my personal BB (I am on the road over half the time so it is a huge benefit to me). No one was wise to my game until the upgrade to Office & Echange 2007. Now if someone sends a meeting request they are notified that I have forwarded it to another email address. Is there a way to disable these notifications from being sent? I searched and most of the info I found was realted to the meeting organizer being able to ignore these notifications.

I would talk to your administrator.
    Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
    Originally posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

I would but they don't like 'my' workaround.

Comment

Then tell them one of two things.

1. I don't receive notifications of meetings/important info until (I) get into the office
        2. You pay for a Blackberry for (me).

If they do not like those, then your "workaround" should be much more desirable.

Comment

As head of IT for our company, nothing pisses me off more than our idiot employees that try and workaround things without talking to me.

I'm not trying to call you an idiot, but that's what I call the people that work for us that think they need to sneak around and hack things rather than try and work something out. I'll never understand this mentality.

I don't understand why you don't just setup your Blackberry to get your email through OWA. If you have email service on your BB, and your company has remote email through OWA (Outlook Web Access), which most do, it is SOOOO easy to setup your Blackberry, I would assume this is how everyone else is doing it.

If OWA is not available outside the office (doubt it), and getting meeting requests to your personal Blackberry is something you need, I would setup a GMAIL account on your phone (or something), then talk to your IT department and have them create a contact on Exchange for that GMAIL account, and "fork" your email to deliver to your inbox and the GMAIL contact. This way you get (transparently) email to both accounts and can accept/etc as required. I think this should work w/o exposing that your GMAIL account is the one that received it. But maybe not. I dunno. We use OWA, like most other reputable companies, and offer out the instructions on how to setup Blackberry, iPhone and Windows Mobile devices freely to anyone who wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by shifty View Post
            As head of IT for our company, nothing pisses me off more than our idiot employees that try and workaround things without talking to me.
            Amen.

As much as we disagree politically, I am almost always agreeing with shifty on these sorta of things.

Best example being is when employees use company devices for personal use and when it goes dead, they complain about how WE (IT) didnt do anything to save their stuff.

Comment

Oh man, I have one higher up in the company that took a laptop home for his wife and kids and extended family several years ago, and they've never failed to crash it hard, every time due to kazaa and other filesharing crap, three times now (to date), and I spend DAYS fixing it every time (had to do it b/c of his position).

A few weeks back, he brought in his personal MacBook because "it won't boot up", and "the family pictures are on there", "don't know what's wrong with it". Turns out the hard drive was shot - sent it off for data recovery, took a spare drive we had laying around, resintalled MacOS, sent it back with him, then found out that the data on the old drive is totally unsalvagable because the read/write arm crashed into the head, nuking all the data. "Sorry, it's too far gone...the best company in the industry can't recover your pictures. Consider a backup drive from here on out, here are some options ... and here's your dead drive back..."

But that's still not what gets my goat. I still despise the folks that choose to try and "work around" things on their own rather than ask for help, or try to fix things on their own so they're not a "burden" to IT Dept.

For example, just two weeks ago I had this guy that's my IT helper down in one of our southern offices w/6-7 people working in it. I went down there in March to upgrade their antivirus companywide. Well, he is responsible for inventory and was responsible to locate and provide ALL computers in that office so I could install the new A/V on it.

Well, he forgot one. And it was one of his work laptops. Apparently he had it at home which is why he didn't remember.

Well, roll forward a month to 4/20/09. He went to some social networking site and picked up some drive-by malware. It was a pretty nasty infection, Vundo-based variant out of Russia, with a hardcore downloader that had 5,000 friggin triggers to make it download new stuff.

He thought he'd be a pro and get rid of it, knowing nothing about how dangerous this kind of thing could be. So he reads some webpages, sees ComboFix and decides it will solve his problems. WRONG!

He never tells me about it. Never tells me about the lack of antivirus either, which would have prevented the infection. Instead he spends all day cleaning it (I could see this when looking back through the logs), but misses the heavily hidden downloader component.

Lo and behold, mid-May rolls around and the antivirus (Norton Corporate) that was still on there picked up a component of the virus, which triggered another download, this time it was a spam zombie, and his computer has a backdoor setup on it that allows for someone to issue commands to start spamming out of our network. This thing was sending 100 spam emails PER SECOND for five days. Finally, I am woken up at 8am on a Monday with a phone call from the head of that office and our ISP in conference asking "why in the hell are you eating up most of our 10mbit line we share for our customers by sending out spam email?"

I'm like, "wtf?!", go to the firewall, block port 25 outbound, and find that his machine is doing this.

It took 5 days for me to properly clean his machine to a point it was safe to put on the network, and a week of doing damage control because this stupidass decided to try to do it his own way, having only novice computer experience and practically no malware removal/security experience.

Ugh.

Man.

Yeah, I could shoot some people in the face for not just asking first. But, I digress.

I don't mind people asking. I'm happy to help. And if someone wants to use a personal handheld to access email, that's cool with me. But you better not bring your home computers into my network and jack them in. And you damned sure better not let your family and friends get on your company provided computer and surf to whatever they want. Those types of things get my goat.

Comment

Shifty - i know you like a challenge... but at that point, why not reimage the machine in 5 minutes instead of cleaning it in 5 days?

Also, while not as as wild as your current issue, we have some big babys here who happen to be higher ups ...or wanna bes.

The higher ups... ok we HAVE to do it. The one that gets my goat is the administrative assistant (secretary!) for the ceo. And she is the SECOND one. She was brought on because we had 2 locations the CEO would visit, so she was in one while the main admin was in the other. No longer. We now have one main base. Well...corporate blackberry. She says she wants to see the CEO's calendar and contacts. We cant do that with wireless activation. We do not support blackberry manager anymore.

"impossible. They did in my old company" So using her status as head calendar reader, she cries until we do it. WITH the warning of "we dont support this. If it blows up, too bad" type stuff.

So yeah, it blows up. And she is all like "why cant you fix it?"
                I finally convinced her to stop using it.

THEN, she says her trackwheel is dead (its not) and weasels her way to a BB Bold. I do the switch and activation. No problem! 4 days later she says she needs to transfer her pictures from the old BB to the new.... her BABY pictures. For whatever reason, bluetooth was being rejected and we dont supply microsd cards. So now we need to do the BB manager thing again. Since I was needed for a video conference, i let a coworker handle it. Dont know what happened, but she lost some of her pics.
                She was pissed. We didnt really care. Dont use corporate devices for personal use unless you are prepared to lose your stuff.

We just deleted 50 gigs of mp3's from the network drives to get the space back. The calls this morning are great!!

Comment

I don't understand why you don't just setup your Blackberry to get your email through OWA. If you have email service on your BB, and your company has remote email through OWA (Outlook Web Access), which most do, it is SOOOO easy to setup your Blackberry, I would assume this is how everyone else is doing it.
                  I tried this but for some reason I was never able to get it to work. . .

I have the OWA address, login name and password but could not get it setup.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonash View Post
                    Shifty - i know you like a challenge... but at that point, why not reimage the machine in 5 minutes instead of cleaning it in 5 days?
                    The laptop in particular was specifically designed with build tools for certain chipsets we use on our boxes, and it had a Cisco VPN client from one of our partners that was pre-configured to connect to their remote network with our testing lab. We could not afford to lose the test data or the specific tools that were installed, some of which are unavailable at this time. To boot, it would have taken weeks to get our partner to re-configure the Cisco client, which would mean shipping the laptop off to them, giving them a domain password, then having them login as this user, set it up, then ship it back.

I am an avid proponent of imaging - Acronis is my ***** - but in this case, because of the nature of the data, the laptop had to be preened, and I had to pore over all of the files changed since install and all of the logs to determine what the malware was able to do once inside our firewall (on one of our machines).

Originally posted by dragonash View Post
                    We just deleted 50 gigs of mp3's from the network drives to get the space back. The calls this morning are great!!
                    I forego this problem - I setup a server *specifically* for music. It has a 1TB drive in it. Haven't heard a peep out of anyone, and everyone knows if I find MP3s on their laptop, kiss it bye-bye!

Comment

Originally posted by ahlab View Post
                      I tried this but for some reason I was never able to get it to work. . .

I have the OWA address, login name and password but could not get it setup.
                      I assume you are using Microsoft Active Directory in your office? So, thus, you are joined to a domain?

Are you able to login to OWA? Usually your domain is prefixed to your username on the login box. Example: If your username for OWA is MYU\ahlab, then your domain is MYU

Given that this is true in this example, here are (modified) instructions I provide to my people on our BlackBerry internal wiki page:

-------------

Instructions generated using BlackBerry Storm, steps may vary slightly with different models.

Users should understand three basic buttons: The "Menu" button (button with dots), the "Escape" button (the 'swoosh'), and understand that pressing the screen (Storm) or the trackball (8330) will select an item.
                      • If this is a brand new Verizon phone fresh out of the box, dial *228 and press option 1 to activate the phone when prompted (might take up to 2 mins).
                      • Storm users: Hang up, escape to the desktop, rotate phone sideways, choose the Setup icon.
                      • 8330 users: Hang up, escape to the desktop, press Menu key, choose Setup icon.
                      • Choose Email Settings icon.
                      • Agree to the terms provided, if applicable (scroll down and agree).
                      • Choose "Add".
                      • Choose "Other", click Next.
                      • Enter your work email address and email/network password in the blanks provided, click Next.
                      • After it crunches on this for a second, you will probably be asked to re-enter your work email address (as if it were incorrect), BUT just click Next again. It will fail and should ask for more setup options
                      • Choose "This is my work email", click Next.
                      • Choose "Outlook Web Access", click Next.
                      • Enter the following settings:
                      • * URL: https://yourOWAserver.yourdomain.com/owa (might be /exchange if your admins change stuff)
                      • * Username: (enter in your network login name, WITHOUT the MYU\ prefix)
                      • * Password: **********
                      • * Email Address: youremail@work.com
                      • * Mailbox: your-network-username
                      • (NOTE: you may need to scroll down to see add'l entry boxes)
                      • Click Next.
                      • At this point, you should receive a message that the account addition is successful. If not, you should probably remove the account you just tried to add and contact your IT staff for help. It will take approximately 5-20 minutes for your BlackBerry to update and start catching mail.

I am not saying this is going to work for you, but if you get stuck at some point, post back and I'll try to help. I'll be that stupid asshole that tells you how to do stuff that your IT staff should probably help you with

Comment

That's the thing SHift, it is noe thing to try to do something w/o telling the superiors, but it is another to get some actual help before going on and tackling it yourself.

Always ask around for help (like I do ) before trying anything more than a simple task, because you are likely to miss things.

The only thing I am guilty of is tweaking corporate idiocies like Print Tracking (heh, sorry company!!) by renaming the tracking software so it does not load up. Silly, they block it from being shut down through TaskManager, but renaming the exe -> ex3? Who would know to do that??!?

I know, annoying, but so is having to put a job number next top every little thing you print!

Comment

I forego this problem - I setup a server *specifically* for music. It has a 1TB drive in it. Haven't heard a peep out of anyone, and everyone knows if I find MP3s on their laptop, kiss it bye-bye!
                          1st comment - cant get a better reason than that!

2nd - not up to us about the server. We have terabytes for us over in the datacenter in north carolina, but we dont have a say in what we want. But tbh, if it were me, i would not reserve space for music. I would be a network drive nazi lol

Comment

I can access OWA through the Opera mini browser but I'll be damned if I can get it to work per those instructions.

Comment

OK--looks like I am out of luck on my own and will have to ask the 'powers that be' for permission to access my email via my BB. All redirects and auto-forwards have been disabled and I found out via below that I cannot access OWA through my BB. Thanks for the help.

Note: The BlackBerry Internet Service does not support a Microsoft Outlook Web Access source using a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA Server). To determine whether your messaging server is using an ISA Server, see KB04804.

Comment

Working...
                              X