X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you could call it:

Greed gouging monopoly

Comment

I wouldn't say that they charge too much because he is a Billionaire, but the reasoning behind him having THAT MUCH money eludes me. Once you have a billion, what the heck is the rest for?

Bragging rights?

And you KNOW he is not the only one earning oodles of cash in that company.

No, the only thing I see as wrong about charging so much for a basic OS is that it is just that. You have set your machine up to run software that, although not monopolistically restricted like OS-X, still offers a distinct advantage to the one who writes all the rules.

Other programs that actually do the work, that earn the cash, are entitled to their share of the goody basket that their software brings, but the OS is a hard one to stand by.

I don't think it should be FREE, mind you, but tell me this.

How many Microsoft products would work without it? Secondly, how much work do you think is saved by using the scripts, resources and features that are native to the OS?

Whatever. I thought $100 was bad (especially when you can frankenstein a pretty good machine for about $700 now). Nevermind more than that for all these different OS "flavors".

Comment

If you build a $700 hardware system go and get Windows Vista Home edition for $86 dollars on Amazon. I still don't see the issue. There is also Home Premium for $99.

From cost perspective, you're talking 13% of your hardware costs to get an OS on it. I still don't see that as a massive cost.

I'm not debating the logic behind "Why Microsoft charges what they charge", I'm debating the logic that it is overpriced in comparison to the hardware that you use. Because the same argument should be used on the hardware itself. Because it is also just a basic foundation unit, though not a strictly apple to apple comparison.

Why I am driving at this, is because Apple products on the whole are more expensive on the hardware side of things than PC hardware. Which might lead one to understand why they are able to charge such a low price on their latest OS.

And for the mention of Bill Gates and his money. Steve Jobs isn't exactly a pauper being #49 on the Forbes list with a net worth of $4.9 Billion dollars. He isn't as rich as Bill Gates, but give him some time, Apple is making some headway in multiple markets.

I am not a Microsoft supporter, and I don't really like Apple all that much either. My Microsoft anger comes more from their server side of things though, where true price issues exist (in my opinion, especially if you are a small business and trying to start a small data center with database needs).

My Apple anger is over their basic consumer products that are overpriced and lacking in crucial functional, and overly common areas. Like being able to add memory to an iPod, why add that feature, instead just make different sized ones and sell them at different price points. Or, why not use a USB connection for your iPod instead of their funky connector? (These issues may have been fixed, my experience is with an older iPod my girlfriend owns which was over $240 in price but you couldn't upgrade the memory on it, which is freaking laughable in this day and age.)
        For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

Comment

Update on Virus post, she got it again and bought this great antivirus called inter ha ha ha for 40 bucks...
          I'm back, just like a bad penny

Comment

Some people arent too tech bright.

Comment

Check her internet history.

You know the rest (she might not have got it "again", she may just have never been fully clean...)

Comment

but she bought the "antivirus" it was advertising and now its gone away...

Comment

omfg....

give her a cheapo laptop with ubuntu and a big icon that says "internet" on it
                  She should only be allowed to use that.

Comment

lol, I give up with people like her. She got hit with extortion ware, paid and now from what I have read there is a nice backdoor into her machine for those buggrs. Not to mention that they have her CC # now

Comment

Yup. I fix at least 3 PCs a week with WinAntivirus, Personal Antivirus, Spysherrif, or any number of variants.
                      When you girls are done kissing, I've got some asskicking for you!

Comment

I hope you hit her softly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjahedge View Post
                          I hope you hit her softly.

Just a slap on the back of the head

Comment

hey, pass this along to her.

I have a bridge I'm looking to sell. If she doesn't buy it, I wont let her cross

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowery_Bugs

Comment

Working...
                              X