Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus

Good morning,
    A co worker of mine has caught a virus called backdoor win 32 hupigon.gen!e. She swears she was just on facebook. Will Avira or Malware bytes take care of this? Or are there more extreme measures called for?
    I'm back, just like a bad penny

Yep, Avira should take care of it, and I would scan with MWB also just to get any extra crap off. And yep, social networking sites are a HUGE place to pick up viruses.
    Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
    Originally posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

lol... honey I wasnt looking at pron, I got it from my buddy at facebook

What is funny is, I am out at all kinds of warez sites, pron, torrents etc and I have never gotten anything... but I run the up to date av. I used to run AVG, but then you said avira, and I changed over that weekend. and knock on wood I have not gotten anything on my or my sons machines.

Comment

Correction: you've never gotten anything you KNOW about. some of these things are so sneaky (esp. the rootkits) that you'd have NFC if you had one or not.

a lot of people are incredibly surprised at what some of these tools turn up. and, for that matter, they only turn up what they're able to detect, meaning you may be infected and they're just not smart enough to detect it.

Comment

I have one huge solution for you all. Move to linux .
          For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

Comment

How about, "no"

I run Ubuntu 9.04, OS X and WinXP on my MBP right now. Each OS has its advantage. But in my particular environment, it makes most sense to be booted into WinXP most of the time.

Now that Evolution is finally getting up to snuff and tying more seamlessly into Exchange (since Snow Leopard is coming Exchange-ready out of the box) ...maybe Linux will be a viable solution in the near future.

I think the Open Source movement both helps and hinders Linux as a whole.

Comment

I game on a Vista box so I'm really just kidding around.

But I have my own firewall and use two anti-x products. I haven't been infected by a virus since Windows 98.

Though I do usually rebuild my systems every 6 months.

Comment

Tried Linux. I thought it was OK, but difficult to get everything tweaked (in that, you can tweak EVERYTHING).

The media players available were not the greatest (compared to MPC+CCCP), and when I tried dual boot, it would not boot up one of the systems (I forgot which one, probably XP). SO I tried to start over and now half my drive is unrecognizable (I think even on an attempt to reformat).

If anything seems infallible, let me at it and I will find a way to inadvertently screw it up.

Comment

The media players issue is one of the biggest complaints and is the most glaringly obvious mistake with regard to open source software and problem with Linux in general.

Linux's biggest flaw is that everything is open source, so you have 5,000 titles that all do the same damned thing, but almost every title lacks some crucial feature to make it "complete". Your average user wants a native tool that will just "work" for everything. They don't want to sit there and figure out how to install and uninstall all 5,000 music/video players and see which one looks and functions the best and has all of the required features. I personally don't like that I need to install VLC to have a decent video player, and Amarok for a decent audio player. Windows comes with WMP, which, with a simple codec pack install, will play nearly anything, and is friendly to both video watching and CD/audio listening. You even have this in OS X, FTMP (moreso than Linux). OS X is "as polished" as Windows.

Linux needs someone to grab the bull by the horns, take some control, and develop a fully working OS that you can just install and run with. Ubuntu has done an amazing job at getting most of the way there. 9.04 is showing a lot of promise. Hopefully by the time they get to 10.x or 11.x, they'll get it right. With MacOS Snow Leopard coming out for $29.95 license ($49.95 for 5-license "family pack") and Linux being free, I am sooooo hoping that M$ is forced to lower their currently absurd OS price from $200+ down to $50 max. There is no reason they should justify that kind of $$ for an OS.

Comment

No, not for an OS, especially when they charge (last time I checked a LONG time ago) $500 for Office.

M$ should really look at what some other companies do with their products. Especially ones that are production oriented. Offer them for a token fee (maybe just development cost) for the home user, but require licensure for professional use (profit).

You get a COMPANY to pay $$ per head for the production pack, you do not have to worry about the user. Not only that, you give it inexpensively to enough users, they are encouraged to use that over other software (use at home for free/little, more likely to ask IT for it at work).

I am hopeing the OS market starts doing the same thnig as the Browser market with Firefox and Chrome. Get to a place where there are some serious FUNCTIONING systems to give M$ a run for the money.

Comment

In all reality guys, the Microsoft Operating Systems that you use at home really don't cost much. I have never felt buyers remorse when I purchase a $200 operating system (I paid $150 for my Vista Ultimate, you just have to wait for sales or other opportunities). You can often find the upgrade option for under $100.

If you go bleeding edge you of course pay out the ass, but that is true for all technology.

And really $200 OS is nothing compared to the $1100 that my systems hardware costs.

I have a feeling that Apple is not making any money whatsoever on the sale of Snow Leopard.

And Office 2007 Home edition only costs around $145 full price, you can easily grab it on sale for under $100. That comes with Excel, Powerpoint and Word. But in all truth I'd go with OpenOffice (which is what I use on my Vista system), it's a pretty good replacement (though its visio replacement needs a little work).
                      Last edited by ]LoL[Harm; 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

I have run Linux Mandrake, Redhat and Suse, and the problems I had with them was if you get out of the GUI, then you better know the system commands to get back in... otherwise you are screwed. I liked the install process, simple and always found teh drivers that worked. I didnt mess with much for media, becasue I couldnt get them to work well once I crashed out of the GUI. I have never tried Apple, well, since a 2c I had back in the early 90s... we used it to program a cnc machine at a machine shop I worked at. I still use XP for my gaming machines and Vista on the little craptop my son has.

Comment

Bill Gates is a billionaire = Windows is overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by =A!M=OakWind View Post
                            Bill Gates is a billionaire = Windows is overpriced.
                            Well there is pure logic for ya

Comment

Profit and success then are bad right?

Comment

Working...
                              X