Laptop recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop recommendations?

My youngest son will be turning 18 soon and graduating high school next spring, and we are considering getting him a laptop.

He's a gamer, so I'd like him to be able to use it for gaming, though a high-performance video card is probably out of the price range we're looking to spend. (If he'll be using this at college we should probably go for one that can't game at all, right??)

I'd like to keep the cost under $1,000 though there is some flexibility there I suppose. (If we could get it with 6 months/no interest at NewEgg, for instance we might consider going higher.)

So - any general suggestions? We do have a corporate relationship with Dell so there is some discount available there via an Employee Purchase program, but I'm open to any options at this point.

Anandtech had a few articles in the past month reviewing small and midsized machines (some gaming).

You may want to check out there.

Comment

I can recommend stable, not gamer.

The same way you can normally only get two out of three things in women - beauty, intelligence or sanity - you pretty much only get two out of three things in a laptop - power, badass graphics, stability ?
      Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
      Originally posted by Ranshackle
      I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

Sanity/Stability must be eliminated--cripes you gotta live with her--so let's narrow it down to beauty and intelligence.
        Now you have a tough choice.
        Maybe not--I can live with stupidity/lack of intelligence(teach an old dog new tricks) as long as it is eye appealing.
        Answered my own question.
        Last edited by 5150; 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Except in rare cases, you only get two of the three in women: Beauty, Sanity or Intelligence.

She's either gonna be ...
          ... dumb sane and hot
          ... smart crazy and hot
          ... smart sane and ugly

There's not much room for anything else. There's always some grey area in there, but ...
          Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
          Originally posted by Ranshackle
          I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

Smart and crazy is a bad combination, especially if you get on her bad side. So that's out...
            National Sarcasm Society
            "Like we need your support."

Comment

Shift, there is a posibility that a woman can be all three......

But the chances of YOU getting THEM?

Comment

Yeah that's a rare case like he said.

Next you're probably going to tell us you know someone who is all three...
                National Sarcasm Society

Comment

Aside from my mother DD?

Back OT:

AVADirect Clevo X8100 Core i7 Gaming Notebook
                  PCW Rating 89
                  Pros: Bright, large display; Good gaming performance--for a laptop
                  Cons: Gaming performance doesn't measure up to desktops; Extremely bulky and heavy
                  Read Complete Review: http://lm.pcworld.com/t/1222356/6209324/91845/0/
                  Top Desktop Replacement Laptops: http://lm.pcworld.com/t/1222356/6209324/79554/0/

Just a blurb from a PCworld mailing. I have not read it so I do not know.....

Comment

I'll tell your wife you didn't think of her first.
                    National Sarcasm Society

Comment

I was wondering where all my Mallowmars went!

Comment

Working...
                      X