X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    My attitude is completely wrong.
    Fix it.
    Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
    Originally posted by Ranshackle
    I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

Duh.

FYI.... Interview (second) with an associate at IBA facades in NYC...

IBA,

Flat out, I do not think it will be a comfortable fit.

I could have sold myself to them and lied through my teeth saying that this was the place I was looking for and that I could not deny my desire to get started, but it just was not there.

They showed me the plans and they were the very things that I did NOT like dealing with at any of my previous jobs. Partially because I did not know about it, but partially because they were close to the minutiae than Mechanical Engineers study, not Civil.

There are up spots. He hinted at large upward mobility. The guy is an associate at 32 years old and he says the salary I am asking, while much for training, is small on the grand scheme. So that ****ing sucks. I did not have a carrot dangled, I am being beaten with it. (IOW, the job that you may not be going for could allow you to work and let your wife to stay home to raise your kid.... stereotypical I know, but VERY real).

They are ONLY into facade work. ONLY windows and in a consulting role. Very little expediting (which is good, because that was out of my element as well), but mostly on saying if small attachment parts/details for windows satisfy the required loading parameters. It looked like very little actual design and analysis.

But I feel absolutely trapped. I only have a few weeks "employed", and losing a job after a year ion your resume is not a good mark.

I know I put a few holes in the boat at this interview. I had him going along just fine, but I poked around to see what was the deal with structural. I let him know it is a serious consideration because this is a "gear shift" and he kept letting me know that it would be a "downshift" (meaning they probably would not match my current).

I just do not want to take a position that may not be right for me out of fear of unemployment, or NOT take it because of fear of something different that I am unaccustomed to.

I do not want to feel like I am "settling" for a job. I want to like it dammit.

Comment

Duh.
        Is it fixed?

Comment

Working on it.

I have stopped visiting Anandtech at work, cut the beer on weekdays, and reduced gaming time. I even practiced a bit of guitar on Tuesday.

I am a critter of habit. If I can get some method to my madness both at work and at home, I will find it easier to do without dragging myself around.

An odd dilemma. When you were smart enough that everything (except social) came easily to you, you just are not used to having to work for it.

I hit that wall HARD in Advanced Engineering Mathematics, but that was only academic.

It is easy to be a good student when your work only took you a half hour. It is the same now. I am great at making things easier (AAMOF, I work VERY hard at it), I just do not feel like doing anything with it later.... (-100000 points)

Comment

take the job

Comment

If they offer it.

If I do take the job and do NOT fit... like I did here, then my resume will look like shizznit.

How bad? In engineering, not working for a year can look better than having 3 jobs in 3 years.

Add that to the fact that possible employers are SLOW AS HELL when it comes to responding to their own damn ads. I sent out stuff 2-3 weeks ago and they have only given me automated responses. (Stuff through their site and also through Headhunters).

I will have to look up the mailings and see if I can contact HR directly.

Comment

take the job and say you were contracting when you want to leave. we are hiring our civil engineers here for peanuts, so many out of work, get what you can, if you have somehting that is going to pay well, jump on it, its work, it doesnt need to be fun, if it was they wouldnt need to pay you

Comment

Understood.

The other problem is that I did not pull the full sale on the second interview. I was being a bit more honest and saying that I needed to think about this myself and compare it to what was being offered.

The first interview went by the numbers and I sold him 100%.

The only other thing I am worried about is simple, but more of an "awww, poor baby" moment.

What happens when you get an offer, but you have an interview at a place you want more? Do you still take the interview and bail on the first if the second (third, 10th) comes through? How many weeks are usually allowed for a response? 2?

It amazes me that even with a company that does everything fast, that they can take 2-6 weeks to decide and expect your answer back in 1. Also, if you reverse on them, you might as well cross them off the list for good.

This is too small a field to dis any opportunities.

So thanks for the no BS advice TS. It is appreciated to get a bit of reality on my depressed whiny arse sometimes.

And no, not in that way.

Comment

i would not be afraid of accepting then rescinding your acceptance. the truth often is if you turn down an offer outright, it can offend the sensitive anyway, i have had it happen to me. i had two job offers, both fighting over me with money. The place i turned down very disappointed. they never got over it when they were looking in the future. i may have been better off taking the job then leaving making them feel like it was their fault.

a lot depends on personalities and you never know people will react. i tried to get a job for friend of mine here. He told the owner he would get back to him in two weeks. I was floored. The guy i work for was insulted. right or wrong he lost a great opportunity because he didnt get the guy he was interviewing with.

Comment

Thanks.

I am getting better at selling myself, but I still do not have any real clue on how to play the rest. the hard part is that no two offers come in at the same time. If I was able to get my "dream job" interview right off the bat, then I would find it easier to say yes/no. But just like waiting for a sale, sometimes waiting for that perfect offer just makes you pass up the good stuff.

Now I just gotta get the woman to stop bashing my pathetic ego and stay away from the gaming for a few days to get these resumes out....

Comment

I am getting better at selling myself
                        Ugh. Such a whore!

Comment

Yep.

And nope.

I am getting good at selling myself, not delivering once sold.

More like a politician.

Comment

Yep.

And nope.

I am getting good at selling myself, not delivering once sold.

More like a politician.
                            i have met plenty of whores with the same problem

Comment

"met"?

Comment

"bumped in to"
                                "come across"

Comment

Working...
                                X