"New" Dell Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Dell Laptop

I got myself a laptop at work 11 days ago. It worked great until the DC input fell inside the laptop and it would no longer charge. Dell had a tech come out the next business day. I was off that day, but had a woman in the office take care of it for me.

The tech looked inside and saw not only were there scratches on the inside of the laptop, but that the DC input was held together with masking tape and that's why it fell in. He left me a note and the old DC input with the masking tape attached. He said it must have been a refurbished laptop. We paid for a NEW laptop. wtf!
    Last edited by tensux; 08-29-2011, 04:54 PM.

wow!

Comment

transferred to 4th person so far.....

even if we bought refurbished which we did not, i would expect it be better put together than with masking tape

Comment

It was probably something where the inspection was simply plugging it in and seeing if it would work.

It worked, they put an OK on it and sent it on.

Sad, really.

Comment

maybe, but would it explain the scratches? also the piece was never screwed in it was taped

Comment

I just soldered a dell's input for a friend a few days ago, what a PITA. Basically had to dismantle the whole thing to get to it.

The guide I used:http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...-repair-guide/

Comment

what a nightmare, the tech who i originally called for the problem sent me this email last night:

"Jim,
              I apologize for the delay in replying to you. I checked our records and it looks as though you originally purchased a refurbished system. Despite the scratches on the inside, the laptop shouldn’t have any functional obsolescence. Also, we do ensure that our refurbished systems go through the same approval process as our new ones, and if there are any more problems that occur with the system, I’d be happy to assist you in getting them resolved."

I can not wait to fill out the Dell Customer Experience Survey Invitation for this asswipe. He was so freaky on the phone, asking me personal questions. And now this response??? It is a brand new build! No where on any invoice or order form does it say it was a refurb. I am assuming he was just making it up. When i placed the service call he had actually asked me about scratches on the outside of the laptop which makes me suspicious he thought it was a refurb to begin with. Maybe Dell does that? Sends out refurbs intentionally without letting the buyer know?

I did resolve it though after someone suggested I call our rep at dell, duh. She knew right away I was supposed to have a new laptop, and is swapping it out. Hopefully its all brand new....

Comment

now they send me a quote for a replacement, basically they will credit the account for the return, and recharge me for the replacement. The quote is for $147 more though... jesus christ

Comment

That's odd.

I've literally been servicing a fleet of over 100 Latitude laptops and never seen this. There was a huge debacle over the nVidia chips that were frying, so I've had to replace several D620-D630 motherboards (well, their techs did at least). I've never had service like that and never seen issues like what you're describing, and I can count at least 15 visits off the top of my head in 6 years.

Sounds like a really jacked up experience.

I doubt Dell sends out refurbs, not after the lawsuits 7-8 years ago where they were sending out replacement parts that were factory serviced (Dell lost that one). Now they put 'refurb' stickers on anything that is not directly new from the factory, including scratch and dent items that have never been shipped to a customer.

Good luck. Sounds like you're getting ass-reamed. I've dealt with their worst reps before - and some of their support/service folks suck, as do some of the folks they contract out for repairs.... but I've never had problems with the actual hardware.
                  Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
                  Originally posted by Ranshackle
                  I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

the new machine she quoted had 6gb of ram and an i7 cpu instead of an i5 with 4gb, and instead of discounting the 147, she requoted me the same exact as the original order for the same price. i cant not believe they sent me out the piece of trash they did the first time, and now i will have to reconfigure the new one over again, and they could not discount $147?

Comment

wouldnt it have been easier to fix it with masking tape?

Originally posted by =A!M=OakWind View Post
                      I just soldered a dell's input for a friend a few days ago, what a PITA. Basically had to dismantle the whole thing to get to it.

The guide I used:http://www.laptoprepair101.com/lapto...-repair-guide/

Comment

well i got the upgrades for free, lets hope this one lasts me more than two weeks

1 225-1122 Vostro 3750 Fast Track 35D
                        1 317-6955 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz Vostro
                        1 317-7405 6GB,DDR3,1333MHZ, 2 DIMM Vostro
                        1 331-1936 MOD,KYBD,101,US,ENG,C12NB,WW
                        1 331-1741 English Documentation, Technical sheet, Vostro
                        1 320-2194 NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (128-bit), Quad Core 1GB Graphics Vostro
                        1 342-2459 MOD,HD,500,7.2,P11,4KE,SGT-DRU
                        1 320-2147 Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator HD Vostro
                        1 421-4798 MOD,SW,DPR,FPRDR,5.X,FI
                        1 320-2195 17.3 inch High Definition LED Display (1600 x 900) with anti-glare Vostro
                        1 421-6061 Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Service Pack 1,English Vostro
                        Last edited by tensux; 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Well with Turbo Boost, how could you go wrong?

Comment

Remember back in the day when pressing the turbo button took the CPU from a measly 25Mhz to a blazing 33Mhz. Man, 75% more power with the press of a single button.
                            Where's my redeemer? INCOMING! I'M HIT! I'MA COMIN' BACK!
                            Originally posted by Ranshackle
                            I like Hasselhoff's ass better.

Comment

...until one of your add-in cards locked up because it couldn't handle the higher bus speed, then you had to turn it off and reboot.
                              National Sarcasm Society
                              "Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                              X