Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread of Random Banter (TRB)

I like my beer like I like my music. There are times and places for everything ever produced, from Gangster Rap to New Age Pop. (Which I own a little bit of both )

While I sweat it out in the summer working outside or playing sports, nothing goes down better than a light, macrobrewed beer, the closer it is to water the better it is.

During the winter months, my favorite for consumption during meals is Guiness, it doesn't have an overpowering taste and for me goes well with most of what I eat.

For other occasions during the colder months, my favorite for just flavor is The Pike's Kilt Lifter, which is from the Pike Place Brewery in Seattle, WA, which I haven't tasted in about 4 years.

But seriously, I like pretty much every beer. There are only a few that I can't really stomach drinking, and that's because they've been aged a little too long in wood that has been charred, making me feel like I'm imbibing liquid campfire.

If I want to just get tanked, I normally grab some 24 ounce Steel Reserve's, and that stuff is kinda nasty.

But we have a nifty place here in Columbus called the Surly Girl Saloon, they server a good chunk of beers that I've sampled all of which I really like, here's a list of their current offerings: http://www.surlygirlsaloon.com/booze...bcategory=Beer

The only thing I don't like more than a wine snob is a beer snob. If it taste good, then it is good, and taste varies .
    Last edited by ]LoL[Harm; 01-18-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

I don't like it when they start talking about "essence of cherry" when there is no more a likeness of cherry there than licking the bottom of a boot.

I can appreciate what some say, but some people just have overactive imaginations when it comes to food.

I'm totally with you there Ninja, I mean you pick up a bottle, the label talks about hints of peaches, mint and licorice, and when you drink it you can't taste any of it. I swear serious wine is made only for the 1% of the population that has heightened taste. The rest of use should just stick to two buck chuck at the local Trader Joes.
    For all the reasons to smile, 'for the hell of it' has always been my favorite.

I think the problem is that they are trying to describe something a bit to ephemeral (insubstantial) a bit too closely. I can taste differences between different beers. Some taste like bold coffee, others more malty smooth. There are different bites to the bitterness, different heads, and different changes to the taste on first touch to after swallow. (some of the cheapest brews out there have the WORST aftertaste. Either nasty bitter or cheap and watery aftertaste of what was bold on the first sip).

It is when they try and get too specific that they miss the boat.

Just because you put in a bit of orange rind does not mean you can taste one bit of it (unless you have an orange allergy).

Got a bottle of Oak Aged Yeti today - awesome flavor!

Got a Pilsner Urquell - liked it.

Had a Guiness - was meh.

Guiness really depends on storage, serving temp, and where you get it.

I have had it when it tastes like tar, and others where it is light and creamy....

And I heard it is better in an actual Irish pub (in situ, not here...). the US has over-commercialized it. I don't trust any brew that has done that too much....

Just checked with the Charleston beer exchange and they confirmed that Founders has pulled out of the South Carolina beer market because of distribution problems.

T.T

i doubt i am going to find it, i got lucky last year, a bar i used to frequent had it, i must have a more than dozen myself before they ran out

So when are you going to be in town for a drink old man?

You have to hurry before I move out!

Thread Information