Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9800GT 1GB at $100 and less

Default 9800GT 1GB at $100 and less

BFG released a 9800GT 1GB low power VC.
    You can get this card at around $100 USD right now
    More to come?
    http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgr981024gtge.aspx

I am wondering if they start to realize that they have reached a practical performance max and that most people are no longer looking for something that can get 150fps rather than 100, but one that can get 100 and use less power, need less cooling, or be able to fit in an ultra-compact case....

Yep but you need at least a card like that to play Battlefield Bad company 2 and a 2GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

One issue is that display screens are getting SMALLER, not larger. 1920x1080 is about the max for most widescreen HD monitors and TVs. Most are 1440x900. That's only 1.3 million pixels vs the 2 million of the largest 'square' monitors. For now, screen areas seem to have peaked. Also, the major bottlenecks seem to be in processor speed, internal cache, and FSB and RAM speeds (not many games are 64 bit so the full bus width of your quad core screamer is not being utilized just yet.)

What ever happened with that physics chip they were working on? That's where your CPU probably bogs down, trying to come up with vector paths for all those lovely 3d flying objects to follow.
    National Sarcasm Society
    "Like we need your support."

I think that only accelerate the physic because it was saved somewhere in a chip and not running in software mode under windows and the chip add special 3D particle effects with physX enabled.
    AMD/ATI cards don't have the chip but there is a way to run it slowly in software mode. The chip is on Nvidia based cards only.

Be sure your card support it in hardware mode and not software.

I couldn't wait for nVidia's stuff any longer. Got this commin' from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150454

Hope I get as many years outta it as I did my 8800GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_Yew View Post
    I couldn't wait for nVidia's stuff any longer.
    But they're only 2 weeks out!

Real weeks or pre-release weeks?

Baldie man! Whassap wit getting the TOTL? I did that once with a pair of Canopus cards WAY back when and it took my lowly 240 line resolution Quake games up to 800x600, but it was still something like $400 for the two cards that were easily supplanted about 1.5 years later for a single $150 card....

Granted that the card lines have not done such radical movement in a LONG time, but still.....

Not only that, but you should have bought this sucker in the winter... It looks like it will keep you warm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Real weeks or pre-release weeks?
    The FERMI cards should be selling by the end of the month. It's what I've been waiting for. If I think they cost too much, it should at least drive down the cost of something older.

Maybe you need the flaccid cards instead of the fermi's

Thread Information